Medical career perspective for a foreign MD

Hello!

I'm a medical professional holding two research Master's degrees, but I haven't specialized yet. I'm keen on launching my medical career in Portugal and wish to continue my academic journey as well.

Can anyone help me understand the necessary steps and requirements for foreign doctors in Portugal, along with any prospects for academic progression in the medical field?

I'm aware that a language proficiency level of B2 or higher is required, along with a medical language course, and passing a test to commence residency. I'm particularly interested to know if, as a foreigner, I could participate in research projects during my residency, and if there are any specific requirements or bureaucratic processes involved.

Additionally, I'm curious about the types of work one might engage in if not yet in a residency program but licensed to practice in Portugal. Are there opportunities available in such a scenario?

Lastly, could someone provide information on the average salary for non-resident doctors, resident trainees, and specialized doctors in Portugal?

Thank you so much for your help!

P.s. sorry for my small essay!

Hi  @f6C, Welcome.

First, you will need to start by having your course recognised. As you probably did your degrees in the EU, that's not a problem.

Recognition of Foreign Academic Diplomas / Higher Education Degrees

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=906428

There are research opportunities in the medical field, e.g. the Champalimaud Foundation dedicated to medical sciences. Some open positions here. If you need more research regarding your medical specialty, please let us know.

https://fchampalimaud.org/open-positions

To practise medicine, you need to have knowledge of Portuguese; for research, most of the times, english is enough.

To practise medicine in the public sector, there are several service/outsourcing agencies that provide doctors for public hospitals. In the case of private hospitals/clinics there are job opportunities, and they earn more.

Best Regards