Where to stay to avoid any kind of Vermin etc

Where in Phil to stay If you hate any kind of vermin?

Hi Louiis88 and welcome to the forum.

If you don't like bugs then I would suggest you will be limited to 4/5 star hotels and don't venture out on the streets, depends on your limitations.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Lol... good luck with that one... Perhaps build a place out in the province somewhere..  and build a wall around it with at least 5 foot deep footings... then get about 5 cats inside of it... and a couple dogs... then place rat traps around the outside of the walls .. Maybe 20 or 30 of them...  naww... nevermind... The answer is nowhere.  They are everywhere here. 

Maybe the OP could come back and be more specific on what he/she classes as vermin.

We have ants, termites yes they are veracious vermin, the large skinks, Tokays and smaller geckos keep the bugs under control, rare to see any bugs here and never a mouse or rat, 1 tree snake in 4 years.

The biggest vermin are the goats.

Cheers, Steve.

lol good topic and in fact it is in the list of reasons to not come to the Philippines! The good news however is you do get used to them. There are many different kinds of ants from tiny to big, biting and nonbiting. Lizards of different types, snakes, spiders and most of all, flies and mosquitos. We have a zapper for indoors use. Rainy season means ants venture inside but we use borax and it does work. Also citronella for outdoors on the legs.

Funny note: I almost threw out all my longs pants, thinking everyone wears shorts in Philippines cause it's so hot. Not true. All the construction crew wear long pants, for the mosquitos (and/or the sun). I still only wear shorts tho.

Not vermin, but beware the suns rays, can do you a nasty sunburn if not careful!

Anyway, all that beats living in snow :)

Only my experience but on the 7th floor in a condo no flies, Mozzies, seems they don't fly that high as our 2 balconies never had screen doors, ants nor mice/rats. Here on the beach many years later no or a rare fly, the occasional mozzie, rare to see a spider or roach, all our windows and doors are screened and the outdoor reptiles and amphibians take care of the other bugs, as said our biggest vermin here are the goats, they slip in here and love avocado, mango, banana  or anything different to the ground forage, in 2 weeks the beach fence goes up and what I consider the vermin will be gone.

Filamretire, the worst ants here are the small red ants, small but nasty, they don't come in the house and outside they attack the termites or any other bug stupid enough to get caught they can attack.

We had many more bugs/critters in Australia than here.

Cheers, Steve.

Here at the beach house in Tag Ulo we had a rain storm last night...  We typically keep our sliding doors open to the ocean for the nice breeze, amd sound of the waves, but had to quickly close them... because all of a sudden we had hundreds of termites flying around the patio lights... literally for about 1 hour... then as fast as they came, they disappeared... with most of them laying dead on the patio floor... so strange... but was kinda cool also... because after that we had a large toad come hopping in, and mopped up I would say almost half of them...  the nature is awsome here... And as far as the geckos... we leave them all alone as they skamper around our home.  We have many.  The bad part is the mouse type poop... the good is we do not have any bugs(or very few) in the house... And yes... I will take this beach life over snow that will be falling soon in my place in Washington State any day!! 🍻 cheers!

Yep the frogs, toads and geckos eat all the fallen bugs on the patios and what the bigger critters miss the ants clean up. I've gone off opening the ocean doors and windows after 8/9/10 in the morning, early the breeze comes from the hills/mountains and fresh air but by mid morning we shut off the ocean side of the house, humidity and salt air is not beneficial to the furniture and fixtures, Mould etc.

Doesn't seem to bother the vermin though.

Cheers, Steve.

Why Worry

(1) Ants get eaten by Geckos

(2) Geckos get eaten by Rats

(3) Rats get eaten by Cats

(4) Cats get eaten by Dogs

(5) Dogs get eaten by Indigenous people in the provinces

Why Worry
(1) Ants get eaten by Geckos
(2) Geckos get eaten by Rats
(3) Rats get eaten by Cats
(4) Cats get eaten by Dogs
(5) Dogs get eaten by Indigenous people in the provinces

-@Enzyte Bob

Perfect

There was an old lady that swallowed a fly that wriggled and tiggled and turned inside her.

Cheers, Steve.

There is a lot of stuff on the web about natural insect repellents using lemon, peppermint, etc. Apparently spiders, ants and roaches to name 3 do not like the smell and simply mixing water and lemon juice 50/50 and spraying around windowsills, doors and baseboards keeps them at bay.

Side note - I was once at a so called pedestrian crossing in Davao and there was a giant centipede or millipede next to it the size of a rack of ribs which no doubt got splattered by traffic but this things was huge so I was wondering if the size of some of these beasties is what worries the O/P.

@Enzyte Bob. 😆 🤣 😂... True!!

@Enzyte Bob

Indeed! A friend said they had rats, so I said why don't they get cats? They replied that their dogs would, unfortunately, eat them.

I doubt that a dog would be able to catch a rat unless it was one of those trained rat catchers like a Jack Russel Terrier...

Rats are a fact of life in the Philippines. I saw my first cat-sized rat running through the dining area of one of the nicest restaurants in Tacloban in 2006 and no one gave it a second glance. A while back I was standing in our local grocery store when a large rat came running down the aisle and ran right into my ankle. It was so fat it fell down and took a couple seconds to get on its feet again. The owner happened to see it on the security cam and had a good laugh.  I noticed they have a spoilage bin with rat damaged items.

We had plenty of rats on this property when I first arrived. They had tunnels in and around the pig pens and were out and about in the day time. All that has been demolished and covered by a meter of fill dirt which almost eliminated the rat population. I said almost because about a year ago there was a rat chewing holes in the coconuts on one of our dwarf coconut trees. I made a trap and caught that one and drowned it. I saw a chewed up coconut on another tree just a couple days ago so I set my trap but so far I haven't caught that one and have only seen the one damaged coconut. It may be a drive by rat.

I've never seen a mouse, but it appears we have at least one. In the photo you can see the 2nd floor of the dirty kitchen. The solar light in the ceiling stopped working so I removed it and found the wire was chewed in two and there appeared to be mouse debris on top of the light. The hole for the wire is only 1/2" so it was a mouse or a very small rat. The question is, how did it get inside the ceiling on the 2nd floor? The ceiling has no gaps or holes large enough for a bug let alone a mouse. The only way I can figure is it crawled up the down spout into the rain gutter and hopped onto the roof and crawled through a corrugation on a roof panel. I do have an access panel so I crushed some rice and peanuts on a banana leaf, sprinkled on rat and mice poison an placed it near the light. Hopefully no more mice problems.

Khfykjx.jpg

Moon Dog commented . . . . Rats are a fact of life in the Philippines. I saw my first cat-sized rat running through the dining area of one of the nicest restaurants in Tacloban in 2006 and no one gave it a second glance.

Dagang Bukid (field rats) are common in the rice fields of Pampanga and some even think they are a Gastronomic Delight. Dagang Bukid is similar in taste to slowly cooked Pork Shoulders.

Well marbled Wagyu Rats are culinary choice.

LOL Wagyu rats!! I guess if you pamper them enough before eating...Just watch out for those drive-by rats, they are gangsta!

I never ate a Norway rat but I caught a bunch in conibear muskrat traps.  The trappers called them squealers. The only rodents I've eaten are muskrats but usually only the ones I caught and skinned myself. In the skinning houses you see a lot of green belly muskrats and I avoided them. The thin belly flesh covering the intestines would turn green, not sure why, probably a ruptured intestine from the killer conibear traps which squeezed the life out of the critters. The skinners just trim it off before selling the meat. Muskrats are clean creatures and the only animal I've gutted that actually smell good inside, kind of a perfume like smell. They do have musk glands that the skinners would put in jars and sell.

LOL Wagyu rats!! I guess if you pamper them enough before eating...Just watch out for those drive-by rats, they are gangsta!

-@Filamretire

Wagyu Rats

😲🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣I'm laughing too!! I need to do more research before visiting this place 🤣🤣🤣😮‍💨

I never ate a Norway rat but I caught a bunch in conibear muskrat traps.  The trappers called them squealers. The only rodents I've eaten are muskrats but usually only the ones I caught and skinned myself. In the skinning houses you see a lot of green belly muskrats and I avoided them. The thin belly flesh covering the intestines would turn green, not sure why, probably a ruptured intestine from the killer conibear traps which squeezed the life out of the critters. The skinners just trim it off before selling the meat. Muskrats are clean creatures and the only animal I've gutted that actually smell good inside, kind of a perfume like smell. They do have musk glands that the skinners would put in jars and sell.

-@Moon Dog

Muskrat by Trapper - That special scent for the special lady in your life.

Cherryann01 says. . . .Muskrat by Trapper - That special scent for the special lady in your life.

You forgot to mention Don't Eat The Fish while in Angeles City.

-