Looking for a town to land on

Hi - I am a writer - looking for a cool quiet place in Spain to live. Northern Spain appeals but not sure what city to chose. I am a singer, like jazz, broadway, opera. Looking for green space, somewhere to run my dog and if possible near an ocean. Tell me where you love to be, please.

@fauzyaM

Welcome to the expat.com forum and good luck with your potential move to Spain!

Spain has lots of coastline, so there are many, many very nice options including smaller towns and villages and larger cities.

I think you need to check out the big list of Spain's most popular "costas". The north-west coast has Costa Cantabria and Costa Vasca around Santander and Bilbao. Costa Brava is Barcelona/Girona. Costa Dorada near Tarragona. Costa Blanca has Valencia/Alicante. Costa del Sol with Malaga and Marbella. Costa de la Luz near Seville.

The prices vary a lot depending on the city and how close to the city (and the beach) you are. For example, we are in the Costa Blanca (a great option, we really like it), and an apartment in Alicante city's Playa de San Juan can be hundreds of thousands of euros. Barcelona is also a wonderful city, but similarly expensive. We can't afford either! Instead, we are a few km inland in Elche (a lovely traditional Spanish city, UNESCO-listed for its palm groves) and we found an awesome apartment here for a fraction of the price. We are near the centre (Elche is quite large, the local airport is actually Alicante-Elche) with all services, and we have several lovely beaches within 20km.

I recommend Idealista (dot com) as a very large and reputable online property agent that has listings all over Spain. You can quickly see what you can get for your budget in particular areas.

@fauzyaM

Arenys de Mar: small fishing village on the costa brava, 55 minute train ride to Barcelona.  Everything within walking distance: train station, beach, town center, bus; between 3-6 minutes by foot.  I bought here in 2015 and now live here full time.  Lmf

@fauzyaM

We live in Arenys de Mar, a fishing village on the coast just north of Barcelona.  (Costa Brava) Trains run every 15-20 minutes for a 50 minute train ride to the center of Barcelona, very convenient!  Performing arts in Barcelona are numerous!  Try the app VIATOR.COM for tickets, venues, prices and special prices as well!

Regards,

Lmf

@fauzyaM Costa Brava s my recommendation too. Btw My husband studied Jazz in Leeds collage London. The specifics you have to find a place, i know from where it is coming from :D Nice to meet you.

@Patriciasen86

Arenys se Mar on the Costa Brava is where i have been living  the past two years with my 13 year old son.  we are close to barcelona, only 50 minutes by train. 

Arenys is a small fishing village on the coast and it has everything you need with the small town charm…

cheers

It sounds great

Spain only borders one ocean the Atlantic.

@davissgurban

Come visit, ill show you around!

cheers,

Lmf