Local Spanish School for English kids

Hi there,

We're planning on moving to Marbella next year, my children will be 6 and 4. We have deliberated, and read, about the pros and cons of the different school options. I would like to explore the otpion of sending them to a local spanish primrary school.

My query is:

Do spanish state schools work on a catchment basis, like in the UK? (non private)

How do bilingual schools work? Private I know but how are the different from International schools?

I'm struggling to find out about all spanish private schools. Can anyone recommend any.

Or even give me any experience on their move with children and navigating the school system.

Thanks HEAPS!!!

@soozmottershead

Very easy to navigate,  public schools are great especially for language learning for the small kids,  They will be speaking Spanish in 3-6 months.  We live near Barcelona in Catalunya so the instruction is in Catalan. My 14 year old son is quite fluent after only 2 school years here.  He also speaks Chinese, French and English so Spanish and Catalan are much easier to learn.  Message me for assistance, I'm semi retired so always looking for projects!  Lmf

@Lmflmf1 thanks so much for your message I appreciate it! Your son's languages will out him in great stead for the future!

I think we might go for a bilingual school. They're 3 and 5. I'm just trying to find one in or around marbella that isn't Catholic!

Thank you for this great conversation. I am planning to move to either Barcelona or Malaga next year. My youngest son will be 16, so his last two years of "high school." We also are not Catholic. For anyone who is navigating the system, I wonder if you know anything about going into university. Specifically, I am trying to find out if getting the Spanish Baccalaureate is sufficient to attend universities in Europe or does a student need to have the IB?

Thank you!

@soozmottershead

Difficult to find a non catholic school, for sure.  My son goes to religion class without ever stepping into a church or cathedral and isn't about to!  Just to get him through to university to study his languages is our goal…😀😀😀

@katyacornejo

The public schools in Catalunya are not religious.

Before children want to go to the public university they're doing an exam " bachilerato" to test them and orientate them.

There exist private universities but they don't have a good reputation

Entry to state schools is decided by a points system. This can vary from province to province so talk to the school for more details.

To give you an idea, points are allocated according to the following though this list is for guidance only:-

1) Proximity of home - or workplace

2) Siblings already enrolled

3) Disability of child or parent

4) Large family (over 3 kids or 2 if one is disabled)

5) Family income

6) Child adopted or fostered

7) Obligatory relocation

8) Family in situation of risk....