More to a create a new topic (Pensions and taxes)

No real concern, but relevant for some I think.

As many of you know I lived (and worked) in many countries, Netherlands, UK, Luxembourg and lastly in Hungary. (now I live but do not work in Turkey).

Per EU regulations one has to apply for pension in the last country where you worked for a year (in my case Hungary). They have responsibility for collecting and paying  national pensions (UK is an interesting additional complication). Whereas I have to wait for 4 more years it is still worrying for me to arrange (or for my wife if I die in between).

I am sure there are service providers to deal with this (I do not speak Hungarian at all).

Would any one of you have experience in this area.

I intended to address much later, but I see the forum is not too active, so I hope with an original topic there will be more posts.

I love the forum (and some of the members) but it seems it be dying down a bit.

Sorry, I have no idea about EU regualtions for pensions.

I'm guessing they combine taxes paid in from every EU country to set up your pension amount?

I do know that Hungary requires a min. of 15 years of work history in Hungary to get anything after retirement age.

My husband is a HU citizen but only worked in Hungary for 9 years.

He gets nada from Hungary , not even the senior discount card.

Thankfully we don't need it.

It just burns him a bit considering he started working at age 14 and the hours were very long, over 10 to 12 perday with half days on Sat.

Steal ones youth and give them nothing for it?

We both took early retirement from the US.

We each gave up 25% of our SS income to do that.

We figured anyone can kick it at any time and it was worth it to us to take it early.

In any case if we were in the US we would qualify for many benefits because we are missing that 25% income.

My sister is 75 almost 76 and still working hard to live. ( 4 ex-husbands and no alimony! She got played!)

She makes just under $20. too much per month to get any social benefits in the US.

If she had just not worked so hard in her yoouth she now would be able to get more in free medicare ,food stamps and many other senioor benifits. She is forced to wrk just because she makes $20. odd bucks a month more in her SS pay.

Work less and gain more later?IDK but if one isn't making mega bucks then it's really not worth it when you collect later on in a tiny SS payment. It's the biggest rip off ever paying taxes now for when you age later.

My brother never had children, had a really good paying job for over 35 years, was in a high tax bracket. His wife also made the same amount or more then he did. He died at 63 without collecting a penny back for all his hard work and honest tax paying as a citizen. Just as the golden ring was within his reach...Bam! outta here.

Take the money early because tomorrow may never come.

We however don't like the gov in our business so we left and do not ask for anything from the US other then what we've put in already.

For us it was a win-win to take the money and run.

Nice to be concerned about leaving your wife holding the bag but I wouldn't worry so much about it. If she isn't handicapped or supporting children then what's the worry?

My husband teases me that if he kicks it,I'll fill his shoes the next day.

Not true but he has that odd Hungarian humor about him, I don't find it funny at all however.

In any case, once your gone, all your plans mean nothing.

The way the world changes so fast, all plans and good intentions come to nada.

My step-father knew he was dying, had insurnace and tired to give my mother a life plan for at least the yeas that their children were minors.

Unseen events changed all those plans after he died.

At least he died thinking he could control things.

Things work out on their own. My siblings grew up and moved on, mom remarried.

You can't worry about events that may or may not happen when you are no longer in the game.

You'd have to get a Hungarian lawyer to answer any details as each case might be different.

You need at least 10 years of UK national Insurance contributions in order to qualify for any UK state pension, you need to have paid contributions for at least 35 years in order to qualify for a full UK state pension; they are not particularly generous, but are currently index linked to inflation, or wages or a minimum of 2.5%, whichever is the greater; for the past couple of years, we've done OK.

If you do qualify for a UK state pension, the hows and where to get it paid abroad are published on the UK Gov website; this link will take you straight to it.

You need at least 10 years of UK national Insurance contributions in order to qualify for any UK state pension, you need to have paid contributions for at least 35 years in order to qualify for a full UK state pension; they are not particularly generous, but are currently index linked to inflation, or wages or a minimum of 2.5%, whichever is the greater; for the past couple of years, we've done OK.
-@Cynic

I've mention this several times.

My sister lived and worked in the UK for over 10 years.

Another reason her US SS is so low, she lost 10 years of paying into it by working in the UK instead.

She told me she spoke with some rep. in the UK about those 10 years.

It's been a long while and she never has heard back from them.

It might require her to go into the offices in person in the UK?

I know they won't give out anything unless you ask for it.

She worked in the UK in a news dept. I've forgotten it was either NBC or ABC news. Peter Jennings was the face of the dept.

Decent paying job for the early 70's. At the time her 2 year collage degree was worth something.

She really should push again to get what's coming to her.

-@Cynic
I've mention this several times.
My sister lived and worked in the UK for over 10 years.
Another reason her US SS is so low, she lost 10 years of paying into it by working in the UK instead.
She told me she spoke with some rep. in the UK about those 10 years.
It's been a long while and she never has heard back from them.
It might require her to go into the offices in person in the UK?
I know they won't give out anything unless you ask for it.
She worked in the UK in a news dept. I've forgotten it was either NBC or ABC news. Peter Jennings was the face of the dept.
Decent paying job for the early 70's. At the time her 2 year collage degree was worth something.
She really should push again to get what's coming to her.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I just added a bit to my post about how to claim.

I'm guessing they combine taxes paid in from every EU country to set up your pension amount?
I do know that Hungary requires a min. of 15 years of work history in Hungary to get anything after retirement age.
It just burns him a bit considering he started working at age 14 and the hours were very long, over 10 to 12 perday with half days on Sat.
We figured anyone can kick it at any time and it was worth it to us to take it early.
In any case if we were in the US we would qualify for many benefits because we are missing that 25% income.
My sister is 75 almost 76 and still working hard to live. ( 4 ex-husbands and no alimony! She got played!)
She makes just under $20. too much per month to get any social benefits in the US.
If she had just not worked so hard in her yoouth she now would be able to get more in free medicare ,food stamps and many other senior benfits. She is forced to work just because she makes $20. odd bucks a month more in her SS pay.

-@Marilyn Tassy

What's to stop your sister reducing her work time by just 1h per month and then being able to collect her additional SS benefits? Or voluntarily not claim the $20?  Something like that?

If you do qualify for a UK state pension, the hows and where to get it paid abroad are published on the UK Gov website; this link will take you straight to it.
-@Cynic

I've got the maximum NI contributions and have had for some years. I would pay more voluntarily in the UK but there's no point as I wouldn't receive any more benefits to the State pension - about £780 month I think was my forecast a few years ago. That is or was the published minimum.

The international SS agreements are horrendous. I really want to get the pension from the UK in GBP not HU as it has the HUF which is going down and is unstable. They are talking about 400 HUF per Euro by the end of the year. That's dire. No way I want my pension paid in HUF. 

I might have to work one year in the UK before retirement to avoid being entangled with the HU Titanic like SS system. It's becoming like a HU Marie Celeste anyway - all the younger ones who would finance SS by tax redistribution are leaving the country.

-@Cynic

I've got the maximum NI contributions and have had for some years. I would pay more voluntarily in the UK but there's no point as I wouldn't receive any more benefits to the State pension - about £780 month I think was my forecast a few years ago. That is or was the published minimum.

The international SS agreements are horrendous. I really want to get the pension from the UK in GBP not HU as it has the HUF which is going down and is unstable. They are talking about 400 HUF per Euro by the end of the year. That's dire. No way I want my pension paid in HUF.

I might have to work one year in the UK before retirement to avoid being entangled with the HU Titanic like SS system. It's becoming like a HU Marie Celeste anyway - all the younger ones who would finance SS by tax redistribution are leaving the country.
-@fluffy2560

The current UK state pension is 883.35 p/month.

There is a rule (link) that says if you are entitled to a UK state pension and a pension from another EU country, then it will be merged/paid by the country where you have lived the longest.

If she had just not worked so hard in her yoouth she now would be able to get more in free medicare ,food stamps and many other senior benfits. She is forced to work just because she makes $20. odd bucks a month more in her SS pay.

-@Marilyn Tassy

What's to stop your sister reducing her work time by just 1h per month and then being able to collect her additional SS benefits? Or voluntarily not claim the $20? Something like that?
-@fluffy2560

It is her fixed amount of SS that is too much for any other gov. benefits.

Sad, she can either live very low or keep on working for the exras she wants and needs.

Yes, we never expected to get ,"old" and live on SS.

It just happens if one is lucky enough to get older.

I worked in Vegas with an 86 year old women who was hired to be a games dealer!

86!

She was full of energy and knew someone high up, otheriwse it's not so easy to get hired if you're over age 35 or so.

Men get hired easier over 35 but not women, still the old double standard there.

I was 43 when I started dealing .

I actually heard right in front of me over the phone when my games instructor was setting me up for a job interview.

He said, quote" I've got an older gal here but she looks younger and has a great smile"

I mean 43 and over the hill?

I know people see really old dealers in Vegas but they never would be hired if they were newbies. Most get a good job and never quit for decades. same with older cocktail servers.

My son was probably promoted as a manager not because of his people skills as much as he looked good up front in a suit.

You could see him a mile away with his red hair and being 6'3"tall.

It's more who you know then what you know in Vegas.

Those few years dealing cards did boost my SS benefits.

My hairdressing days were not that great paying even with tips.

No one in their right mind actually claimed all their tips that I know of.

Your past does catch up to you that way.

In Vegas all tips were taxed as the office handled them for us.

@Cynic Just curious, at the time when I worked in the UK it was still part of the EU, I just hope (not too much) it will be counted, even if for 2.5 years.

In general, 200 years ago was no pension and almost a miracle to live to 70 years. Should we be happy, after 60 people have pain and ....

Still for my wife it would be good that there is a pension (very good go having worked and lived in Luxembourg). If joint tax declarations 90% for the surving partner.

I do not expect too much from Hungary and Netherlands is soso.

Still in total (also without UK) I think EUR 3 K pm gross (even if I die)

Not too bad as I drink and smoke and my wife does not.

Important my wife can survive comfortably.

Taxes remain a concern and no real answer so far.

I will have a look at the UK, but not too important (I do not know how Brexit agreements were concluded, but at the stage employment in the EU was to be aggregated (ie even a small entitlement it is there)

@Marilyn Tassy 4x divorce?, I think you are more nice than your sister.

@Cynic Just curious, at the time when I worked in the UK it was still part of the EU, I just hope (not too much) it will be counted, even if for 2.5 years.
-@cdw057

Pensions are nation-specific; based on what you've said, I don't think you'll get anything from the UK specifically.  They have an international pension centre where you can ask about your pension; this link will take you straight to their contact page, you'll need your old UK National Insurance number.

As you say in Dutch, "nee heb je, ja kun je krijgen" ..... misschein.

Good luck

@cdw057 My sister divorced 2 x, I think far, far too much and has a new boyfriend, of course good reasons (no doubt), BUT ...

By the way brothers are fine, one still married (from the start), for other, wife left (for holistic guy), but he remains divorced and single.

If I have my very very bad habits, but if my wife wants to divorce, lets say we live on the 11th floor.

Just accept husband/wife, good things, bad things, but life is life.

-@cdw057

There was no EU that I know of when she worked in the UK.

She went over in the late 1960's and stayed for over 10 years. Second husband was met there.

I suppose she saw the old ,"Swinging London" of the 60's.

@Marilyn Tassy 4x divorce?, I think you are more nice than your sister.
-@cdw057

I know 4 times is alot of ex's.

My deceased sister was a very whitty,funny and wild person.

She used to say crazy stuff about the eldest sister of ours.

She would say ,"why doesn't she just sleep with them and move on"?

Why get married?

No, I understand her, she in my opinion kept marrying the same person over and over and over again.

All her ex's had a good side to them and all were a bit stange in their own ways.

First husband was 7 years older and a major student. Had a BA in science or something related to that subject, a Masters degree in more science studies and was working on his PHD. She supported his studies by working and paying for everything.

He only worked during the summer months part-time doing student teaching at UCSB.

He was a bit of an odd guy for the 1960's wore short hair and a white shirt with bow tie while they were living in ,"Hippieville" up in Santa Barabara. I loved spending weeks during summer months hanging up there with them. I was maybe 12 to 15 years old and it was cool to me.

He was a very conservative person and a bit of a Nerd.

Second husband was lazy, didn't work as ahad as my sister did , they came shortly to the US and he hated living there. They moved back too the Uk and she soon arrived back in the states by herself.

3 rd husband was a crazy tale. In collage she was wild about this guy. She however was a quote,"good girl" and he soon was interested in another young lady and got that one in the family way.

Sister was heartbroken...

After her 2nd divorced she was in a store in Ca. and ran into her lost love of her teen years.

He was also single at that time.

They started their relationship again and married.

They moved to Minn. where he was sent with his job with Monsanto.

Bought a house etc. All seemed good for a few years. Then he started drinking too much. On top of that his teenager daughter from my sisters old rival moved in with them. Total brat and out of control.

Sister gave up and divorced him, let him deal with the brat on his own.

Then she met a man who was around 7 years her jr. He owned a Karate studio and did computer repairs.

Bought another home , both worked, my sister taught Karate in his studio on the side, she got very good with it, 3 Black Belts to her credit.

Well,when they met she said she was too old to have children and didn;t want any.

He was fine with it.

He started an affair with a younger student of his...

Sister divorced him. Funny thing is his lover turned around to him and said he was too old for her! Karama!

He then met a lady from SE Asia and married , guess he had a son with her.

I know my sister has a bossy side to her and will not put up with any sort of laziness from anyone. She is head strong and will not follow anyone.

Maybe that's the way it goes for first born girls? She is a bit self-centered but maybe that's because she had to be a big sister to 5 siblings?

Poor thing though, she has friends but I think she would of been better off not being so head strong.

I admit a couple of her husbands, at least the last 2 were a bit of jerks.

Can't all get lucky like me.

Totally off topic, himm I'll try to hook my sister up with the link for UK pensions.

She may or may not take my advice.

-@Cynic

-@fluffy2560
The current UK state pension is 883.35 p/month.

There is a rule (link) that says if you are entitled to a UK state pension and a pension from another EU country, then it will be merged/paid by the country where you have lived the longest.
-@Cynic

Oh it's gone up. I haven't looked at it for some years. I also made contributions for some years in HU but it was not an EU state then.

One of my colleagues worked for a couple of years in a Swedish organisation in a Balkans country. He was surprised to learn from his Swedish employers he was entitled to a Swedish pension when the project ended. Wasn't much,like £100 a month but they pay him direct.

Cool!

-@cdw057
There was no EU that I know of when she worked in the UK.
She went over in the late 1960's and stayed for over 10 years. Second husband was met there.
I suppose she saw the old ,"Swinging London" of the 60's.
-@Marilyn Tassy

If she paid more than 10 years of National Insurance contributions, then she qualifies; I'd advise her to contact the UK Pensions Centre via the link I gave previously.

@Marilyn Tassy By the way, I am VERY, VERY lazy right now, not in the past I worked 12/14 hours per day, I am now just looking at internet, smoking and drinking my wife does almost everything. (Not good of course).

Just dealing with finances and taxes, cleaning out the dishwasher and going to supermarkets and restaurants (with my wife)

My physical condition is failing (faster than I imagined)

Fingers for typing messages are still fine (which is good) and although mind is twisted, I think it still works.

Really sad how things can deterioate. I hope I can settle all the pensions in time, but I am not accepted to ask ( I am too young and honestly rules changes all the time)

@Marilyn Tassy By the way, I am VERY, VERY lazy right now, not in the past I worked 12/14 hours per day, I am now just looking at internet, smoking and drinking my wife does almost everything. (Not good of course).
Just dealing with finances and taxes, cleaning out the dishwasher and going to supermarkets and restaurants (with my wife)
My physical condition is failing (faster than I imagined)
Fingers for typing messages are still fine (which is good) and although mind is twisted, I think it still works.
Really sad how things can deterioate. I hope I can settle all the pensions in time, but I am not accepted to ask ( I am too young and honestly rules changes all the time)
-@cdw057

Oh dear, dislike hearing anyone is run down or ill.

It's not too late however to make changes and get on a healthier track.

61 is too young to give it up just yet.

Being in your 60's, it's OK to be a bit lazy, why not.

My sisters husbands were in their 20's and lazy, not a good start to have that attitude at a young age.

I'd not say I'm lazy but an outsider might get that impression on some days.

I am active but I don't do things that would show it that much.

I do what is needed to be done around the house, cook clean, go places but our flat still looks like we just moved in. ( My husband is a hoarder)

Mostly too many boxes full of clothing we no longer even remember why we brought with us.

Half my husband's clothing is too tight now for him to wear.

It's my fault, bake too many cakes for him.

It can't hurt to get a complete medical check up and make some small changes if needed.

I was thinking back on all the husbands my eldest sister had.

Her first I now recall was a chemistry major.

He probably made a small fortune when he finally got his PHD. Too bad she gave up on him before then.

I also recall myself, just a silly teenager trying to get him to make some LSD .

He said it was a super easy formula to mix up.

He never did that, he was far too conservative to even consider it.

It was strange though.

About 2 years after they divorced he came to visit my mother and us.

He had given up on his short hair and starched white short sleeve shirts with bow ties and was wearing his hair to his collar, had on a T-shirt and even some Love beads. ( remember those?)

Maybe she should of given him another chance?

@Marilyn Tassy My problem is more that clothes are getting too big, not too small. I am 185 cm I was 55 kg when I was 23, 80 kg when I was 45, I am back to 63 kg.

Enough sweating (in Turkey) people say it is healthy so that is a good thing, other things ...

@cdw057 By the way my blood pressure seems to be perfect (from time to time) 120/80, cholesterol, heart, knees, are more of a concern.

@Marilyn Tassy My problem is more that clothes are getting too big, not too small. I am 185 cm I was 55 kg when I was 23, 80 kg when I was 45, I am back to 63 kg.
Enough sweating (in Turkey) people say it is healthy so that is a good thing, other things ...
-@cdw057

My conversion skills are not the best but that's thin.

I went down to 108lbs. guess that's 49 kilos?

Back up to 54 kilo now.

It doesn't feel great to be to thin, no energy.

I am 5'9" tall, think that's about 172 centi?

I find when I'm not stressing myself over silly things and  I eat right, my bad knees usually feel pain free.

A good drink is a mix of tumeric with honey black pepper and cinnamon. Try that 3 times per day. Some people use a bit of milk or almond milk and a dash of coconut oil into the drink. Either way it helps.

I was feeling just fine less then 2 years ago until they radiaited me.That takes a toll on your bones and disgestion system.

Still, I'm alive and mentally doing better then ever.

Sometimes it takes a shock to the system to know what's really important. ( Family and peace)

More a side note, my wife bought a pressure machine, it is fine 125 over 87, heart is too fast, but I have cholesterol pills, (on top I have whisky)

Still some concerns on the medium term.

Anyhow, we go to a relatively luxury restaurant (good, very good service), I know what I will order (Tomato soup (with special prepared spices) and Lamb Shank (great), a few fresh orange juices for me and my wife, a few teas, All in all not more than TRY 1500 (inclusive tips). I did mention thee xcellent service (bread and additions)

In Hungary things are also fine so it is with pricing, but service in Turkey vs Hungary is 300%

More a side note, my wife bought a pressure machine, it is fine 125 over 87, heart is too fast, but I have cholesterol pills, (on top I have whisky)
Still some concerns on the medium term.
Anyhow, we go to a relatively luxury restaurant (good, very good service), I know what I will order (Tomato soup (with special prepared spices) and Lamb Shank (great), a few fresh orange juices for me and my wife, a few teas, All in all not more than TRY 1500 (inclusive tips). I did mention thee xcellent service (bread and additions)

In Hungary things are also fine so it is with pricing, but service in Turkey vs Hungary is 300%
-@cdw057

Just asked my wife (Dutch nurse); she says 125 is OK, 87 is a bit high, but nothing to worry about; Her advice is to go and see your GP and get some medication.

For,"fun" I had my BP taken 3 times in a row yesterday morning.

This was before I did my yoga which usually calms me down .

I must be part lizard.

First reading: 97 over 77 with pulse at 69

Second:        109 over76   pulse rate:75

Third:             111-75-76

Think it went up because I was ready to move, got bored with sitting there waiting.

The cuff is a tiny bit too large for my arm but still it was tight enough for a reading.

Being a bit too low isn't great, at least it seems I am not going to stroke out.

Maybe just pass out?

• As far as food prices. My husband read about the pay vs food costs for the average grocery store clerk .
  • The salary in the US was $15. per hour
  • Not sure how much they make in Hungary.
  • Overall it still costs more in the US to purchase food cmparied to costs in Hungary.

I must be part lizard.
Second:    109 over76  pulse rate:75
Third:       111-75-76
Think it went up because I was ready to move, got bored with sitting there waiting.
The cuff is a tiny bit too large for my arm but still it was tight enough for a reading.
Being a bit too low isn't great, at least it seems I am not going to stroke out.
Maybe just pass out?

As far as food prices. My husband read about the pay vs food costs for the average grocery store clerk .
The salary in the US was $15. per hour
Not sure how much they make in Hungary.
Overall it still costs more in the US to purchase food cmparied to costs in Hungary.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Not much at all, I worked with a guy from Hungary once. He was earning more money as a pot wash in Austria than being an assistant manager of a shop back in Hungary.

Perhaps it was 15 years ago.

My husband saw an add for a machinist in Hungary and decided to call up just to see how much the job paid.

We were on holiday in Hungary and he wasn't interested at all in the job but just wanted to know the pay.

It was something like $5. an hour! My God that's nada.

My husband averaged over $45. to $100. an hour in the 1980's and 90's!

Not often did he clear $100. an hour but he did do that a few times with a ,"Hot" job.

That's when he worked for someone. When we had our own machine shops it seemed all the money went back into the business.We took out just enough to live on.

Makes me think of that super model who said she wouldn't get out of bed for less then $10,000 a day!

Now I see the average machinist in the US with just average skills makes between $25. to $40 an hour depending on the state and co.

In the casino, well, it's been a very lng time since I dealt but it also depends on the casino as to how much one clears an hour there.

My last job in the early 2000's was an average of $17.50 to over $25. an hour.

I worked in a locals sort of casino, not on the strip.

The strip usually pays even better but is more cut throat with HR and rules about conduct etc.

I enjoyed telling some customers what they couldn't pull on my table when they got strange. On the strip you have to be all smiles all the time.

In 2000 I landed a job at a brand new casino,worked at brand new one twice.

Nice because it doesn't smell like smoke yet .

The combo of pay and daily tips was great but I quit because I wasn't happy working night shift. I took a day shift job that paid a good $115. a day less.

Stupid , maybe but I was happier and less sleepy.

The night shift was pulling a average of $255. in tips alne per night plus hourly pay. The day shift job was pulling about $140. plus hourly pay. I onlyb excpeted day shift jobs after working nights for just a few months. I couldn't handle not sleeping enough.

I figured I was just giving less to the tax man by making less.

It all averages out in the end.

We are not interested in ever working again.

My husband said he wouldn't mind having access to a machine shop. Might even be willing to help teach machining to the right person.

Having to show up daily and do a long shift is something neither of us will do again if they don't force us to at least.

I must be part lizard.
Second:    109 over76  pulse rate:75
Third:       111-75-76
Maybe just pass out?
-@Marilyn Tassy

Your BP is a bit on the low side. The "normal" numbers are 120/80 and about 60bpm.  If you are on meds, they ought to do a review. As you say, you could end up fainting which is not nice - bashing your head is not a good idea. I'm on BP meds myself and sometimes I get a bit dizzy if I jump up too quickly. 

My BP machine does 3 x test in a row. I think the idea is to relax you and get you used to having your arm squeezed.  The Docs chat with you to relax you.

I've tried to use a Vulcan mind meld (ok, not really) to relax to reduce my numbers and it really does work. I can sometimes get myself into a kind of meditation state that works. I really need one of those feedback machines that allows you to monitor your heartbeat and BP so you can "slow it" down.

I think my BP is majorly effected by stress. Mrs F is always saying to me I need to "hurry up and relax"! Says it all really. 

As a matter of fact i just looked up low blod pressure.

Not without some issues there.

I feel just fine, maybe I need to hydrate more often?

I don't take any meds at all.

Had some pills for my knees but haven't taken then for months and months.

My heart is fine and I as far as I know have no major health issues any longer.

They say as one ages their BP goes down. not so sure about that because almost everyone I know has high BP.

My mother had such high BP that we thought she'd just drop at times.

She lived on valuim to stay relaxed.

Her numbers were always sky high, I know I heard the number 180 many times.

She's fly off the handle on the drop of a dime. Anger issues we though it was.

She had a slight issue with her heart but it never was addressed by her doctors as it wasn't that serious. Was told it was a slight murmur.

She also was stubborn and had to always prove her point and win any arguments.

She did need her chill pills after all.

When I'm stressed I try to exercise it away.

As a matter of fact i just looked up low blod pressure.
Not without some issues there.
I feel just fine, maybe I need to hydrate more often?
I don't take any meds at all.
Had some pills for my knees but haven't taken then for months and months.
My heart is fine and I as far as I know have no major health issues any longer.
They say as one ages their BP goes down. not so sure about that because almost everyone I know has high BP.
My mother had such high BP that we thought she'd just drop at times.
She lived on valuim to stay relaxed.
Her numbers were always sky high, I know I heard the number 180 many times.
She's fly off the handle on the drop of a dime. Anger issues we though it was.
She had a slight issue with her heart but it never was addressed by her doctors as it wasn't that serious. Was told it was a slight murmur.
She also was stubborn and had to always prove her point and win any arguments.
She did need her chill pills after all.
When I'm stressed I try to exercise it away.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Too low BP and you're going to be dizzy. That's a risk. You could fall over and bang your head or break bones and that could cause all sorts of complications.  My MIL keeps falling over (might not be BP, could be something else). She's small but heavy and it takes two burly people (usually paramedics) to get her up.   It could take hours to get an ambulance in some countries.

Chillin' has to be the way forward. There's enough stress in the modern world. I am a lot calmer in my 60s than I was in my 40s.  I don't know if it's experience meaning I can filter nonsense out or something like not caring any more (are the same thing?)

Exercise is a good one. Just walking the dog 20m is going to help. I usually take her 3 x a week for at least 45m a trip. Good for her and good for me!  I just wish she was more grateful.

As I think we've mentioned here before, U.S. Social Security has agreements with the UK and Hungary that are meant to help expats who have split their careers between the countries.

But the agreements are exceptionally complex and it'd be interesting to know if anyone's ever actually benefited from one.

https://www.ssa.gov/international/agree … l?tl=2%2C9

As to those home BP machines, readings can be off. First they can lose calibration over time. Second exactly how and where you put your arm and the strap can make a big difference.

As to those home BP machines, readings can be off. First they can lose calibration over time. Second exactly how and where you put your arm and the strap can make a big difference.
-@zif

I was warned the same so I compared several machines of different ages I have access to (my own, my Dad's and my MIL's) with a free machine at my Dad's doc's and they were pretty accurate with that. And the doc doing it manually was about the same plus or minus a bit. Probably very old machine would become inaccurate but new designs should be OK for some years. I'd have thought 10 years at least. 

-@zif

I was warned the same so I compared several machines of different ages I have access to (my own, my Dad's and my MIL's) with a free machine at my Dad's doc's and they were pretty accurate with that. And the doc doing it manually was about the same plus or minus a bit. Probably very old machine would become inaccurate but new designs should be OK for some years. I'd have thought 10 years at least.
-@fluffy2560

We have 2 machines; one which we bought from a chemist (battery driven, digital display) and one that my wife was issued with when she first trained as a nurse (old fashioned, hand pump and stethoscope) which she does get calibrated every 6 months i.a.w. her practice guidelines; it's like trigger's broom with the non-metallic parts replaced as and when needed.  I use the modern one, she will always use her own, but she does check mine now and then to see if it's accurate, It's never failed her check.

I have a fit watch which is great and works fine and is pretty accurate.

Yes,we have 2 different BP machines.

My husband is pretty good at setting me up with it being in the right palce.

He cheks his often.

I heard that it is low if it's 60 or below, mine was pretty much holding out around 75-76.

Exericse has always been part of my life

I have cut back allot in how hard I do it now.

I used to take to flow yoga classes per day lus swim a few times per week and sometimes take light weight lifting classes and I always did about 20-30 mins of gym machines.

My husband used to tell me to just move into the gym because I was there 7 days per week.

I am allot more relaxed now days but still never go anywhere without first doing at least a short 45 mins. yoga stretch.

I'm addicted it seems.

I even brought my yoga mat into the hospital with me. now that's a bit crazy....

No tv set, no wifi in my room and had the place all to myself, why not take advantage of at least meditating and doing some deep breathing?

I used to think with the high costs of health care in the US that they should give credits to people who watch their diets and exercise.

I have a fit watch which is great and works fine and is pretty accurate.
-@SimCityAT

Does it measure BP?  Is it a Garmin?

I was thinking of a new one that does BP.

My current fitness watch (Suunto) only measures heart rate.

I recently found the Health section on my IPhone; I was surprised at how much information it gathers passively just as I walk and sleep; this, together with my BP app and cal counting app have been very useful. I may get the Apple watch next as I'm due an upgrade.