Expatriate to Thailand with no income just "big" savings

Hello everyone,

I am french, single, and I have 65,000 euros in savings and I want to move to Thailand "forever" .

First of all can you please advise me of a beautiful mountainous region without too many tourists and whose capital has at least 50,000 inhabitants?

On the other hand I won't have any income, just my savings, but I would like to start by renting an apartment between 4000 and 6000 baht per month for 2 years. The idea is that during this period of time I will finish developing the plugin for a software that will guarantee me a lifetime income (I have done a meticulous market study and I am developing a quality product which potentially meets a large demand, therefore very high probability of success). My goal is that this plugin brings me at least 1500 euros per month.

So my other questions are:

Before my plugin is developed and released, considering i don't have any income, will the Thai authorities agree to give me a 2-year visa on their territory? And will a landlord agree to rent me a property for a 2-year lease (without guarentees )?

Once my income of 1500 euros per month has been generated, and knowing that I will have 50,000 euros left over from the initial 65,000, will the Thai authorities agree to give me a longer visa? (5 years? 10 years?).

Thanks

hello,

I am developing a platform and I want to move to thailand .. so we have the same idea more or less ... maybe we can collaborate in some way ... anyway .. long term visa is not easy if you dont have a business or working permit ...

regards,

Dan

@Dan_1975 hi Dan,

You are in same situation as me ? You just have savings but no income ? Trying to make your plateform profitable on a monthly basis ?

I have some saving and income ... I can live and work worldwide by developing software ... but to move to thailand I need to open a startup or something like that ...  I am building a platform that maybe is the solution to move to thailand ... 

can you rent an apartment for 6ooo bath per month  ,  $  170.00   thats  pretty cheap  !!   $ 42 .00   per week 

@kdonn123 sure i can i just checked the rent offers ;) i even can rent something decent for $100 a month in the countryside, not too far from big enough city

@Expattaya

Hey there. I am (French) Canadian, formerly a French citizen, also a software developer, well solutions architect.  I too designed plugins and web sites that are "due to bring expected income".

I used to work in the USA, but in 2011 moved to Thailand.

I too love living in a mountainous area, negative ionization galore, fruits and good life.

Altogether, I spent two years in Thailand.

Avoid cities for your lungs sake (pollution)

Beware, riding a moped, bike or motorbike is  dangerous. Really.

Wash everything you eat, due to pesticides.

Have an external fan for your computer.

I found houses for sale at Sala, close to Kho Ka (Lampang) for 20,000 euros a piece - that was in 2011 though.

Otherwise, you can rent in Lampang, for about 200 to 300 euros/month - 7600 Bahts/ daily rates fluctuates a lot. Kho Ka is even cheaper.

Beware, they may ask you to commit for 6 month-lease and ask for a deposit.

I suggest you learn Thai. It can also get you a visa, but see further.

I know many such places in Thailand. North is Chiang Rai, Lampang, Mae On, also Pai (beautiful, many tourists though but worth the visit. Mae Sot is beautiful too: breathtaking views, temples, mountains;

I love Muak Lek area (Saraburi). Most mountains in the north.

In the north, or anywhere around Bangkok, beware of fish sauce from raw (uncooked) fish that may have a fluke, very dangerous for your liver.

BUT... your question:

will the Thai authorities agree to give me a 2-year visa on their territory?

Get a visa, ideally from Thai consulate/Embassy

65000 euros is 2 million and a half baht's, so you largely qualify.

Otherwise you get it from Bangkok - now easy to reach at Lak Si MRT (it was so difficult getting there)

5-year visa: 10,000 Baht

Yes you can!

https://www.thaievisa.go.th/long-stay-visa

Don't tell them you intend to develop software or be busy at all.

Keep your money out unless it is required for visa obtention.

And will a landlord agree to rent me a property for a 2-year lease (without guarantees )?

You don't need to ask a two-year lease upfront.

Good luck!

Gerard

PS you may also consider the Philippines or Bali if you want more seaside, cleaner / less pesticides and more varied food.

Or south of Thailand (Krabi) for the same reasons.

@Expattaya   OK , very Nice 

Merci infiniement Gérard pour ta réponse très complète 1f603.svg

"I suggest you learn Thai."

Ok i will start learning thai way before taking my one way trip to Thailand. Great advice

"Don't tell them you intend to develop software or be busy at all.

Keep your money out unless it is required for visa obtention."

I should not tell them im being busy during 2 years because of developping my software because they expect me to behave like a tourist, go out and spend a lot ?

What do you mean by keeping my money out ? I should keep it (except what is required for visa obtention) in my french bank ?

Hello everyone,
I am french, single, and I have 65,000 euros in savings and I want to move to Thailand "forever" .
First of all can you please advise me of a beautiful mountainous region without too many tourists and whose capital has at least 50,000 inhabitants?
On the other hand I won't have any income, just my savings, but I would like to start by renting an apartment between 4000 and 6000 baht per month for 2 years. The idea is that during this period of time I will finish developing the plugin for a software that will guarantee me a lifetime income (I have done a meticulous market study and I am developing a quality product which potentially meets a large demand, therefore very high probability of success). My goal is that this plugin brings me at least 1500 euros per month.

So my other questions are:

Before my plugin is developed and released, considering i don't have any income, will the Thai authorities agree to give me a 2-year visa on their territory? And will a landlord agree to rent me a property for a 2-year lease (without guarentees )?

Once my income of 1500 euros per month has been generated, and knowing that I will have 50,000 euros left over from the initial 65,000, will the Thai authorities agree to give me a longer visa? (5 years? 10 years?).

Thanks
-@Expattaya

About the financial requirements for staying in Thailand on annual extensions. It's either 65.000 baht/month in pension income or 800.000 baht in a Thai bank account or a combination of both (it's not accepted in every province). You can only extend your permission of stay one year at the time.

hello,
  I am developing a platform and I want to move to thailand .. so we have the same idea more or less ... maybe we can collaborate in some way ... anyway .. long term visa is not easy if you dont have a business or working permit ...

regards,

Dan
-@Dan_1975

As I said earlier,you just need 800.000 baht in a Thai bank account or 65.000 baht/month in pension (or a combination) to be able to retire in Thailand + being at least 50 years old. You extend the stay annually.

Merci infiniement Gérard pour ta réponse très complète 1f603.svg
"I suggest you learn Thai."

Ok i will start learning thai way before taking my one way trip to Thailand. Great advice

"Don't tell them you intend to develop software or be busy at all.
Keep your money out unless it is required for visa obtention."

I should not tell them im being busy during 2 years because of developping my software because they expect me to behave like a tourist, go out and spend a lot ?
What do you mean by keeping my money out ? I should keep it (except what is required for visa obtention) in my french bank ?
-@Expattaya

You must have a Thai bank account to be able to live in Thailand. It doesn't matter what method you're using at immigration. If you're thinking about retiring in Thailand,working is prohibited.

That's the reason for not mentioning it at immigration.

@Expattaya
Hey there. I am (French) Canadian, formerly a French citizen, also a software developer, well solutions architect. I too designed plugins and web sites that are "due to bring expected income".
I used to work in the USA, but in 2011 moved to Thailand.
I too love living in a mountainous area, negative ionization galore, fruits and good life.
Altogether, I spent two years in Thailand.
Avoid cities for your lungs sake (pollution)
Beware, riding a moped, bike or motorbike is dangerous. Really.
Wash everything you eat, due to pesticides.
Have an external fan for your computer.
I found houses for sale at Sala, close to Kho Ka (Lampang) for 20,000 euros a piece - that was in 2011 though.

Otherwise, you can rent in Lampang, for about 200 to 300 euros/month - 7600 Bahts/ daily rates fluctuates a lot. Kho Ka is even cheaper.
Beware, they may ask you to commit for 6 month-lease and ask for a deposit.

I suggest you learn Thai. It can also get you a visa, but see further.

I know many such places in Thailand. North is Chiang Rai, Lampang, Mae On, also Pai (beautiful, many tourists though but worth the visit. Mae Sot is beautiful too: breathtaking views, temples, mountains;
I love Muak Lek area (Saraburi). Most mountains in the north.

In the north, or anywhere around Bangkok, beware of fish sauce from raw (uncooked) fish that may have a fluke, very dangerous for your liver.

BUT... your question:
will the Thai authorities agree to give me a 2-year visa on their territory?

Get a visa, ideally from Thai consulate/Embassy
65000 euros is 2 million and a half baht's, so you largely qualify.
Otherwise you get it from Bangkok - now easy to reach at Lak Si MRT (it was so difficult getting there)
Yes you can!

https://www.thaievisa.go.th/long-stay-visa

Don't tell them you intend to develop software or be busy at all.
Keep your money out unless it is required for visa obtention.

And will a landlord agree to rent me a property for a 2-year lease (without guarantees )?
You don't need to ask a two-year lease upfront.

Good luck!
Gerard

PS you may also consider the Philippines or Bali if you want more seaside, cleaner / less pesticides and more varied food.
Or south of Thailand (Krabi) for the same reasons.
-@AGLV0121

"Otherwise you get it from Bangkok - now easy to reach at Lak Si MRT (it was so difficult getting there)

Yes you can!"

No, you can't get a 5-year visa for 10.000 baht.

That's pure nonsense.

@kdonn123..Yes plenty around

Dear Sir, When you are In Thailand with 2,500,000 Thai baht saving money. something in the future will happen you can't count on this in Thailand.

Imagine you are in Thailand without any in coming and have your savings and cash money with you.

The big part is to trust only yourself about everything.  If anyone even yourself knows you have cash money be sure you will lose it all very fast, this is part of an amazing Thailand. ( Thailand is Amazing about everything good or bad and so on. )

Only your address and activities if have something to do with Thailand, the Thai government is interesting to know about.

In the visa section, you can read about the Thai government the visa section, all is there. (But you can get any kind of visa easily when you are here,...)

wherever you want to live everything is up to you. and it has nothing to do with the Thai government.

Most French people like to live in north Thailand it is a very nice choice.

The City I recommend is Mae Hong Son Province.

With all my respect sir, If I were in your situation I would make sure my incoming before taking any action. but with the saving money you can live in Thailand for a very long time but not enough for a lifetime.

Good luck Sir

I stayed for 2 years on tourist visas using 2 passports, uk + irish.

Other than this a 2 year visa is almost impossible

Dear Sir, When you are In Thailand with 2,500,000 Thai baht saving money. something in the future will happen you can't count on this in Thailand.
Imagine you are in Thailand without any in coming and have your savings and cash money with you.
The big part is to trust only yourself about everything.  If anyone even yourself knows you have cash money be sure you will lose it all very fast, this is part of an amazing Thailand. ( Thailand is Amazing about everything good or bad and so on. )
Only your address and activities if have something to do with Thailand, the Thai government is interesting to know about.
In the visa section, you can read about the Thai government the visa section, all is there. (But you can get any kind of visa easily when you are here,...)
wherever you want to live everything is up to you. and it has nothing to do with the Thai government.
Most French people like to live in north Thailand it is a very nice choice.
The City I recommend is Mae Hong Son Province.
With all my respect sir, If I were in your situation I would make sure my incoming before taking any action. but with the saving money you can live in Thailand for a very long time but not enough for a lifetime.
Good luck Sir

-@Connection60

Another nonsense post.

First:

"When you are In Thailand with 2,500,000 Thai baht saving money. something in the future will happen you can't count on this in Thailand."

What are you rambling about? Have you ever heard of a major bank in Thailand going belly up?

The risk is probably higher in Europe or in the US.

Second:

"But you can get any kind of visa easily when you are here."

Not correct again. Stop coming up with total nonsense advice to people here asking for help.

@Leeds forever!

Dear Leeds forever! I do not understand what is your problem but let the people understand you.

I will try my best to be helpful and accurate, even if I can only answer questions that I have personal experience with. I will also try to be informative and comprehensive in my responses, even if I can only provide information based on my own experiences.

I am still under development, but I am learning new things every day. I am also learning to better understand and respond to complex and challenging questions. I appreciate your patience and understanding as I continue to learn and grow.

I am also interested in reading about your personal experiences, even if they are different from mine. I believe that everyone has a unique perspective to offer, and I am always eager to learn new things.

Thank you for your feedback!