Adapting to the pace of life in Hungary

Hello everyone,

When you move to Hungary, you may find that the pace of life is different from what you're used to. Shop opening times, working hours, sleep cycles and variations in sunlight can all have an effect on your life in Hungary as an expat and require time to adapt. This transition can be a source of surprises, adjustments and sometimes even frustration for those trying to find their balance in this new environment.

Here are a few questions to help you better understand how you manage your days in Hungary :

How have you managed to harmonise your own pace of life with the pace of life in Hungary?

Have you felt a change in your biological rhythm (diet, sleep, energy, etc.)? How can you minimise the effects on your well-being and adapt to changes in your circadian rhythm?

How have you adjusted your sleeping habits to optimise your energy and concentration in a different environment?

Shopping, meal and activity times can differ from one culture to another. How do you manage to reconcile your personal habits with those of life in Hungary? What are the benefits and challenges of these adjustments?

How do different working hours affect your productivity and quality of life? What have you done to maintain a work-life balance despite these changes?

Please feel free to share your experiences and advice on this topic.
Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

I am a very early riser (I have been throughout in my life). When living in Hungary I rised at 3.00 or 4.00 AM, shops are open at 7.00 AM (typically).

Life is very easy going, restaurants are open (often at 11.00 (when we went for lunch)). Shopping at 7.00 AM if needed, but typically massively (normally once per 2 weeks).

Cigarettes and alcohol once per 2 months (again massively), easy to order 300 packages of marlboro and as for Jameson Whisky also easy to order 30 liter.

Wine and meat, via Internet and home delivery (both massively as we had a freezer and place to store) (unlike the current location, but that is another matter).

In Hungary people tend to start early and also go to bed early.

We went to concerts, performances in Keszthely Theater (good and cheap by the way), but streets are completely empty after 9.00 PM.

At in the Hungary times I went to bed at 7.00 PM at the latest (as I do now), suited me very well. What is good in Hungarian countryside people tend to keep to themself after 5.00/6.00 pm (I think Budapest will be different though)

I am 61, so productivity is not too relevant, cleaning out the dishwasher was the main exercise on the day (a bit playing with the dog and now and than cleaning the pond), when I want bureaucracy and financial matters. Bottom line in Hungary life (as an elderly person) is easy.

Walking with my wife at 8.00 AM was a habit a few times per week, afterwards she goes swimming in Heviz Lake and I go home.

@Cheryl

How have you managed to harmonise your own pace of life with the pace of life in Hungary?

I'm not in Hungary all the time because I have friends and family in different countries and I love to travel. I have also kept a home in the UK with my now grown up family.

I've got used to the slower paced lifestyle and tend to go shopping at quieter times.

I spend a lot of time in the summer in the Hungarian countryside where I've still got my original cottage in the forest.

Over the years a number of people have stayed there and helped me with the garden.

Have you felt a change in your biological rhythm (diet, sleep, energy, etc.)? How can you minimise the effects on your well-being and adapt to changes in your circadian rhythm?

I always sleep really well in the countryside. There is very little Internet in the forest and most Hungarians living along our lane tend to go to bed very early. I have got used to the peace and quite there.

Budapest has become more busy as time as gone on but it's still very quiet compared to other capital cities I have lived in.

How have you adjusted your sleeping habits to optimise your energy and concentration in a different environment?

My main adjustment was getting older and therefore not working full time. The distinctively different seasons means that I tend to hibernate a bit if I'm in Hungary over the worst of the winter weather.

Shopping, meal and activity times can differ from one culture to another. How do you manage to reconcile your personal habits with those of life in Hungary? What are the benefits and challenges of these adjustments?

I've not had to make many changes. I tend to live my own life wherever . Even if I go on holiday I tend to rent apartments rather than hotel rooms because I like to do my own cooking and my own thing.

How do different working hours affect your productivity and quality of life?

I've got lots of ongoing projects like my art work and I've always tended to work on these in my own pace and in my own place whenever I wish. I love company but I'm not dependant on it.

No matter where you live you still must live with yourself.

Moving doesn't change how one reacts to different circumstances.

In fact, with lack of communication a person can either chose to live in their own world or find any mental / emotional issues they may have being exasperated by a new enviorment.

Feeling isolated can either force a person to change or it may make them more isolated.

I sleep just fine here in Hungary.

I give credit to not having any major worries as large bills or a job.

The diet here isn't too differnt then what I've always eaten.

It's rather nice now as many itmes that were hard to find in the past are available here.

I remember bringing my own Wella hair coloring in 1978 and having a hairdresser apply it for me.

She was shocked how nice the formula was and asked if I'd leave any extra with her so she could use it on herself..

Now small things like that are common place here.You can find almost anything here.

Nothing is too much differnt here except the language which sooner or later isn't going to be an issue.

So many outsiders moving here that Hungarian will be a side language in a few decades if not sooner.

I'm fine here although if inflation catches up to the US then I'd rather move away.

Why live in a 123 year old walk up if for the same price you can live in a modern building?

I try to never get emotionally attacted to places.

Maui has been on my mind of late however.

Used to live there and over the many years since leaving I've never even thought twice about it until lately.

The things I remember however I remind myself are no longer there.

One can never go back only forward.