Permesso Checks on Ferries between Italy and Greece??

Hello Expat Community,

This past winter, I booked a vacation in Greece with a group of friends without noticing that it will happen two weeks after my current permesso expires (my appointment to take the fingerprints is in November). I am an American passport holder with a recent Schengen entry stamp from a trip to England.

Do they check permessos on any of the ferries from Italy to Greece? I know that there are open borders between Schengen countries but I have never traveled by ferry before and I do not know anyone that has done the trip. Some friends said that maybe from the Venice port they might, but not from the ports farther south like Brindisi. I am trying to decide if I should:

1) enter Greece a day or two before my expiration date and then wait the two weeks for my friends to arrive or ...

2) hope they only glance at my US passport and take the risk of getting turned away and losing my vacation or ...

3) Give up all hope and have a staycation :)

I am also assuming that I should have no problems returning directly to Italy on the ferries from Greece with my Ricevuta, etc if I carry all of my documention.

Any tips/advice is appreciated!

@CharlyandJosh

Official receipt showing that you have applied for the renewal of Permesso allows you to travel back in to Italy whereas those who have applied for a  Permesso for the first time and are waiting for its issue, face the risk of being denied re-entry in to Italy - unless they possess a valid Italian visa.