Trujila development

Hi
Has anybody dealt with the Trujila Beach ecodevelopment project? Appreciate to hear all good and bad experiences. I am planning to buy a lot from them,not sure how trustworthy they are in all their dealings.
Thanks
Mathew

[Moderated: free ad is not allowed on the forum, please register in Honduras Business Directory]

tHello, I am in Honduras at the moment. Went to the mainlnd from Roatan sland and met with reps from ReCap to see Trujillo beach resort. The drive from La Ceiba (the nearest airport), was a gruelling 2.5 hours on substandard roads. Jose our guide drove at around 120 KM/h, when able. The resort is setoff the main road. It is necessary to drive through farmland, which has a gate and guards posted, due to squatter problems. When reaching the resort are, there was a nice gate, but not much else. There is a welcome building, 2 houses finished but uninhabitated, and a third house started. The roads are dirt roads, and most of the land remains rugged. We were told by Re Cap in Toronto, that we could have a house built our site within 4-8 months, but when visiting, were not able to see our site as it is still unmapped and in the jungle. The beach is there, but has many high waves and the water is very dirty, not the idealic carribean sea most people picture. While at this project there was little work being done. No equipment in sight except for one man with a shovel. The explanation for this was that it was the rainy season and work would begin in February again. On Roatan island there was much construction ongoing, so unsure if this explanation is truthful. In reality, if this development is ever completed, it will be in many years to come.

I'm glad that someone has voiced their oppinion and stated facts regarding Trujillo. If any Canadians want to join other Canadians for coffee or drinks in La Ceiba, you can message me.

MSeabrook wrote:

tHello, I am in Honduras at the moment. Went to the mainlnd from Roatan sland and met with reps from ReCap to see Trujillo beach resort. The drive from La Ceiba (the nearest airport), was a gruelling 2.5 hours on substandard roads. Jose our guide drove at around 120 KM/h, when able. The resort is setoff the main road. It is necessary to drive through farmland, which has a gate and guards posted, due to squatter problems. When reaching the resort are, there was a nice gate, but not much else. There is a welcome building, 2 houses finished but uninhabitated, and a third house started. The roads are dirt roads, and most of the land remains rugged. We were told by Re Cap in Toronto, that we could have a house built our site within 4-8 months, but when visiting, were not able to see our site as it is still unmapped and in the jungle. The beach is there, but has many high waves and the water is very dirty, not the idealic carribean sea most people picture. While at this project there was little work being done. No equipment in sight except for one man with a shovel. The explanation for this was that it was the rainy season and work would begin in February again. On Roatan island there was much construction ongoing, so unsure if this explanation is truthful. In reality, if this development is ever completed, it will be in many years to come.

hi,Mseabrook,thanks for sharing with us....so you were't very impress.we just hope that in the end will be what they say it would...

I was there recently in January and although I found the property to be really nice I too didn't see much going on regarding construction machinery. I was given the "third world country" excuse, but I'm one of those buyers that is not in any hurry to build, nevertheless I would have expected that 2 years into the project there would be a lot more progress.

What I have seen so far:

Roads completed in most areas but not all.
Street lights, again in most areas
Drainage culverts
Water services (i.e wells, water tower etc.)
Septic systems.
Showroom/office building
Workers buildings
Nursery
Security gates.
Canal

Has anyone seen any architects plans or drawings for the amenities, and associated structures? I have seen the artist renditions, but shouldn't Recap need permits and therefor drawings etc.

One other concern is the addition of newly released lots that were not in the original plans. I would also be a little more comfortable if they finish a resort before starting other resorts. They are not a large company with deep pockets so I would guess that cash from lots sold in Trujillo is being spread thinly across other projects.....I hope I'm wrong.....but why squeeze in additional lots?

I also suggest you take HondurasChris up on his offer if you happen to visit Le Ceiba. He has completed some stunning properties on the beach.

Does anyone know when and how the property taxes are evaluated? and when do they begin charging a maintenance fee?

(Moderated: please register in the Business Directory)

MSeabrook wrote:

When reaching the resort are, there was a nice gate, but not much else. There is a welcome building, 2 houses finished but uninhabitated, and a third house started. The roads are dirt roads, and most of the land remains rugged. We were told by Re Cap in Toronto, that we could have a house built our site within 4-8 months, but when visiting, were not able to see our site as it is still unmapped and in the jungle. The beach is there, but has many high waves and the water is very dirty, not the idealic carribean sea most people picture. While at this project there was little work being done. No equipment in sight except for one man with a shovel. The explanation for this was that it was the rainy season and work would begin in February again. On Roatan island there was much construction ongoing, so unsure if this explanation is truthful. In reality, if this development is ever completed, it will be in many years to come.

Hi MSeabrook,

Thank you for your insights.

I have purchased 2 lots about a year and a half ago. When I was on site recently I was really happy with what I saw. I can picture the resort as a beautiful place to retire and vacation.

I think the developer is doing a wonderful job. I look forward to seeing it completed.

More and more Canadians are checking out other locations besides Trujillo.
For an example, there are DIRECT beachfront lots in La Ceiba priced @ $50,000.00 USD that has an international airport vs driving 2 or 3 hours to Trujillo after a long flight.
Foreigners not in need of a direct beachfront lot can also find in La Ceiba, beach "view" lots priced at $20,000.00 - $35,000.00 USD that are only 160 feet from the actual beach sand vs 100 or more meters like in Trujillo.
Cost to build an Amercan quality home in Trujillo is about $70.00 per square ft vs. Only $40.00 - $45.00 ft in La Ceiba.

I'm not sure if the small city of Trujillo can handle thousands of passengers being offloaded hep ermine the locals and large developments going on......

My wife and I fell in love with Trujillo. 

[moderated: advertisement is not free]

That's my input

chris,you should not be on this blog.if business is going bad,probably your LA CEIBA is not as good as you say.let us (trujillo lots owners) alone.this is why so many people hates americans,my god...

Actually everything is going very well here in La Ceiba. 
I'm just showing reality and giving my oppinion just like everyone else.
As far as so many "people"/Canadians hating Americans......I guess your one.

I am promoting La Ceiba. This is the area I live and people I know.

So, you have a problem with me promoting an area of a country besides the area you invested in ?!?

Giving people other options.

Chris I am a top Realtor in the USA, I know La Ceiba and Trujillo very well and the two Cities are beautiful, But they are two different markets, I have been selling a development in Trujillo and since June last year I sold more then 70 Lots, my success comes from putting on the table all the options for my clients in every city and they choose it, my opinion does not matter, you can always negotiate the commission, what is important is to give our clients excellent service. putting down Trujillo is not a good tool!

HondurasRealtor wrote:

Chris I am a top Realtor in the USA, I know La Ceiba and Trujillo very well and the two Cities are beautiful, But they are two different markets, I have been selling a development in Trujillo and since June last year I sold more then 70 Lots, my success comes from putting on the table all the options for my clients in every city and they choose it, my opinion does not matter, you can always negotiate the commission, what is important is to give our clients excellent service. putting down Trujillo is not a good tool!

I'm a small guy vs the Trujillo guys. What I have learned from their own clients is that they have a great service but do not represent well what they are doing when clients finally go down to Trujillo after purchasing site unseen. "not what I had expected" is what I have heard directly from many Canadians.

I'm proud of what's going on in La Ceiba and many have tried to squash me over the years. These "many" include developers and persons in the real estate business.

I am presently in La Ceiba, getting my house built and as of now I am really pleased with everything. OF course alot of us are expecting the same principles and can do attitude as the US or Canada, but here in Honduras things are a little different. Trujillo in my opinion is very far and need the honduran goverment to invest in the city infrastructures ie better roads, upgrades in all the public services. La Ceiba is more modern, very tourist friendly and has more to offer to an expat then trujillo.  When it comes to buying land and houses, I would always go with la Ceiba, not only because of the variaty of things to do and places to shop but also you are not to far from a lot of beautiful places like Pico Bonito, Cayos Cochinos, Cuero Salado, and zip lines, river rafting etc. But everyone has they own opinion and I believe the market is open for all you guys that are providing a nice and beautiful homes for us expats here in Honduras.

I hope this is the proper place to post this.  My brother and I inherited my fathers beachfront house in Trujillo.  He was one of the first Gringo's to buy property in Trujillo and built his house in 1994 ish.   Anyway, the house needs work but too much and its located in gorgeous position.  On the beach with mountain views.  Its only a mile or so from town and hooked up to city water and electric (but with emergency generator on site)  If anyone is looking to buy in Trujillo not within one of the developments please feel free to contact me.  We just want to resolve this property as having it unoccupied is not desirable.

jannychan wrote:

I hope this is the proper place to post this.  My brother and I inherited my fathers beachfront house in Trujillo.  He was one of the first Gringo's to buy property in Trujillo and built his house in 1994 ish.   Anyway, the house needs work but too much and its located in gorgeous position.  On the beach with mountain views.  Its only a mile or so from town and hooked up to city water and electric (but with emergency generator on site)  If anyone is looking to buy in Trujillo not within one of the developments please feel free to contact me.  We just want to resolve this property as having it unoccupied is not desirable.

I know this location. He was a true pioneer to Trujillo. His dreams are still alive.
Moderators.... This would be an exception NOT to erase this post. They are speaking of a person that was a foreigner that put Trujillo on the worldwide map