Driving To Bucharest

Hi All

I'm tempted to visit Bucharest but nervous about the drive.  Can anybody give me any advice about whether I need any extra documentation/insurance?  Also, tips on any pitfalls or problems I may come across would be gratefully received.

Hello Snowball6,

You may also open an identical thread on the Bucharest forum so that members already there can provide some feedback.

All the best

Bhavna

@Snowball6

I don't think there's anything to worry about, as long as you have all your car documents. I've driven into our neighbours Serbia, Romania and Turkey without any problems (apart from border queues, of course). I haven't done the Greek trip yet, but I doubt that it's any different.

You should always have your car registration (ownership) document, an up-to-date inspection/MOT, and your insurance policy (with a Green Card). You should also have your driving license, EHIC, and residence permit and/or passport.

Bulgaria (and Romania) also require a vignette, so you should make sure you have these too (you can buy the Romanian one online, or at the border). I think Greece, Serbia and Turkey don't have vignettes.

Thank you for your reply gwynj