Buying raw land

I've read a few posts about land purchasing. Don't know if this topic is new, but here goes. My future and I have purchased 1.6 hectares close to Claveria. It was clean titled with current paid taxes. We hired a Geodetic Engineer to re-survey the property. "Please bare with me". We were halted by a group of indigenous people led by a lawyer, claiming we could not proceed or even move on to the property, due to indigenous peoples right to the land. Fortunately, the property was originally sold prior to 1997. We obtained original Deed Of Sale, thus allowing us to build on our land. I really would like to hear feedback.

Regards Keith

I take it when you say "My Future" you are referring to your Filipino spouse. As an American you do not own any land in the PI.  Sounds like you need a lawyer, some on here can point you in the right direction, but you gonna need on the ground help.

What exactly do you want to hear? You went ahead and built. Why were they claiming rights to it? Did you investigate?

Check out . . . . .  Indigenous People of Claveria on Facebook. (2.6k members)

Also do a Google search of A guide to the indigenous tribes of the Philippines.

@pnwcyclist haven't built yet.  Still a work in progress.  She is reality wise (owns 2 residential and 1 commercial property) and didn't know that a clean titled land could still fall under indigenous law. We have had a real-estate lawyer the whole time.

@pnwcyclist apparently, there are some laws or land lots that do not just show up.  We (she) is the rightful owner,  just surprised.  I want to bring to light the possibility, even when you fully research, there's another surprise possible.

Check out . . . . . Indigenous People of Claveria on Facebook. (2.6k members)
Also do a Google search of A guide to the indigenous tribes of the Philippines.
-@Enzyte Bob

Thanks, good advice.

@Kampkos104 No she is not the rightful owner if this land was never rightfully obtained from the indigenous people.

This is the problem, most land was stolen or just taken one or two generations ago.

I guess you know need a good lawyer to sort this out. But it is something you really need to check first.

In rural place i would never ever buy land where nothing has been build on before.