Assessing Colombia for retirement

Hi

I am from Ontario Canada have been researching Colombia for a few years now but just recently retired (covidless victim of covid) so now on a very low Canadian pension 2025 a month I was looking at Colombia a beautiful country I've learned and bottom line good people. Since this new presidentt has removed their local EPS from the reach of seniors wishing a pension visa I no longer have the option of Colombia as a global insurance company would take more than half my pension the American 30% exchange rate as I have not been able to find any out of country coverage in Canada.

I tried 3 times before the visa revamp but each time the process timed out and I had to start again before they locked it to change the requirements

I am now at a loss I have looked some at Ecuador I could survive there on my pension even after the 30% USD exchange rate but would have preferred Colombia main reason being my money would have gone further

Totally lost here

Hello Brettfairweather,

Though it is not your first post on the forum, still welcome on board !

I think that it is best that you open a new topic on the Colombia forum and expose your situation and queries to members so that they may share some insights.

I hope you'll be able to make your Expat project to Colombia a success,

Bhavna

@brettfairweather with $2000 CAD pension you would still be elligible for a pensión visa at todays lousy exchange rate.

The issue is the new requirements, emergency medical including repatriation to home country/ death benifits, RCMP police report with finger prints, medical / psycological test.

Plus fact legallization process in Canada is complicated and can take 2 months ( 8 years ago it was a 3 day process)

Plus the fact your legalized docs are only good for  3 months after issue date and Cancillería  could sit on them for a month and the tell you your documents are no good  or at least make it diffiult for you and  demand  more money to restart the visa study.

For these reasons I am looking for a more stable place to make my home after 11 years here in Colombia

@nico peligro   I just saw this reply Thank you

I have been thinking about Ecuador Argentina or Uruguay especially after the visa revamp last year I can't afford to pay these global companies for healthcare. I've been following a couple on their blog and you tube Amelia And JP they have been in Ecuador the last 8 years and cover everything even the people that have helped them and they trust but still looking at the other 2 countries it is very hard when you don't even have enough to last the month for food here

Thanks for your reply

Brett

Hello everyone @Brett and Nico Peligro,

Please note that I have created a new thread from your posts on the Colombia forum so that you may better communicate.

I hope other members will share their feedback as well.

All the best

Bhavna

I am heading to Colombia in the coming months. I am planning to take out a one year multiple-trip travel policy with a company that rhymes with Jax. Not so much for a visa application, which I am not ready for, but because I don't think I can disguise the fact I am tourist and won't be familiar with my surroundings.