Food (in retaurants and at home)

As many of you know both me and my wife lived in many countries.

I will focus on Hungary (and Turkey (where I now live)), still some other countries to be mentioned

-Netherlands, in general a very good choice, Chinese (to my taste), Indonesian (!!), simple snackbar, Thai, ..

good and well priced

-UK, everything available, pricy, but in walking distance and ingeneral good (Italian, Polish, Indian, Thai, Chinese (not so good), Dutch (certainly not good)

-Luxembourg in general good and international (Indian, Mexican, local, French, ...) very pricy, but then again it is Luxembourg

HUNGARY

By the way we also eat quite a bit at home (my wife is Russian), Plov, Lagman, Beef Stroganoff, but also Hungarian Gulash or Indian dishes (without lamb not too easy in Hungary.

-we lived close to Keszthely/Heviz, when we moved initially our favorite restaurant was

https://www.kocsicsardaheviz.hu/

was good service and dishes at the start. over time things deterioted quite a bit so we did not go anymore

our favorite was (after)

https://vadaskert-vendeglo.hu/etlap-itallap/

also good green elephant in zalaapati (more expensive but good)

https://zoldelefant.com/en/etterem/

in keszthely we went to the mexican from time to time, but more to change from menu (good service though)

https://www.losamigos-mex.hu/hu/losamigos.php

for home delivery i can advice Smokey Burger (Heviz and Keszthely), especially Giga Burger

https://www.facebook.com/OLDSmokeyKeszthely/

Bottom line, where we lived not much to complain, but variety (????) Lamb, very difficult to get. What is annoying in restaurants you can not drink a glass of wine (zero ploicy)

TURKEY/ALANYA/MAHMUTLAR (West of Mahmutlar)

Too many restaurants to mention, some Western, some traditional Turkish, but no Indian/Chinese/Mexican etc, same issue as in Hungary.

Still many to choose from and in general we are relatively happy, one thing is in common (GOOD and polite SERVICE)

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=lf:1, … d:;si:;mv:[[36.497469499376265,32.094280228118095],[36.4943386589829,32.08717237422863]]

My advice in the area

-Toros (Western oriented and relatively expensive), but good

-Friends same as above

-Jack same as above

-Antep fast and cheap

-Inegöl Köftecisi & Çorba )not on the map, but cheap, good

So much choice in restaurants, not much variety, all in walking distance

Food in Turkey is excellent, but in Hungary as well, the difference is service (and price to an extent)

FYI I will also post this one on Turkish forum

We haven't eaten out since our last trip to Las Vegas.

Over 4 years.

My husband has never liked eating out. He dislikes sitting there waiting for food, asking for things, asking for the bill and watching other people chomping away.

He fooled me when we met, he was always taking me out for a good Hungarian meal all over S. Ca. He even super fooled me by cooking at home for me.

Now I do 99% of the cooking.

Years ago we ate out every weekend.

With our son or on our own with my sister and her boyfriends.

We always went to a Thai or Japanese restuarant.

We always took our son for a nice Japanese meal on the beach in S. Ca.

My husband made good money and we spent it.

We used to treat 6-8 people here in Hungary to dinner back in the day.

Now forget it, we think we can cook better then most restaurants and pick exactly what we want to eat.

I am not a big eater these days. I probably would need to take most food home with me in a doggie bag.

I didn't eat meat for over 30 years but now do to a limited extent. I like hamburgers with all the fixings but haven't had one from anywhere but home for perhaps 10 years.

I suppose I'm not a fussy eater?

I go more these days for nutrition then taste.

I'm trying to gain weight, not fill up on empty calories.

I can't seem to get past 117lbs. My goal is 125. I get up to 119 and then drop down to 115.

I think the oils etc. used in most restaurants would go right through me and make me ill.

My husband worked at the Hilton on Maui in the 1970's with a bunch of crazy Hungarians.

They were part of the cleaning crew. He loved it, they could raid the fridge and eat all the sushi they wanted or even fix breakfast for themselves over the stove.

It also had ,"sufing hours" he got off about 4 AM just in time for the morning tide.

He said what most restraunts use if a vat of broth, it's used in sauces and used in just about everything. It cooks day and night and rarely is thrown out. They just keep adding bit and pieces of this or that to a vat of boiling broth.

Yikes, doesn't sound too great even if it tastes good.

My experience in my teens working in a popular American hamburger joint ( Bob's Big Boy) showed me some places are strict on keeping things super clean while others aren't. Bob's was clean with strict rules but my son's experiences in fast food had him put a ban on us eating at them. He said I was not allowed to eat at KFC, he saw how they handled the food.

He was an assistant manager at McDonalds when he was only 17. The only so called safe fast food he said was Taco Bell, that is only because the dump the beans out of a bag as they are pre-cooked and just had hot water. The make the employees wear gloves when they handle the cheese and veggies.

The more you know the more home cooking you will do.

Last time I tried a Gyro here in Hungary was my last time. I used to love eating them. The guy served up the gyro with his dirty hands, used the register and handled money without wearing gloves. I'm lucky I wasn't sent to the ER . My husband almost had me toss it in the trash before trying it after seeing how dirty it was made.

I now let Bing write all my posts:

"A perpetual stew is . . . a pot into which whatever foodstuffs one can find is placed and cooked. The pot is never or rarely emptied all the way, and ingredients and liquid are replenished as necessary. Some restaurants have maintained the same perpetual stew for decades or longer, creating a flavorful and unique broth. . .  An example is Otafuku, one of the oldest oden restaurants in Japan, which has been heating up the same batch of broth every day since 1945."

I now let Bing write all my posts:
"A perpetual stew is . . . a pot into which whatever foodstuffs one can find is placed and cooked. The pot is never or rarely emptied all the way, and ingredients and liquid are replenished as necessary. Some restaurants have maintained the same perpetual stew for decades or longer, creating a flavorful and unique broth. . . An example is Otafuku, one of the oldest oden restaurants in Japan, which has been heating up the same batch of broth every day since 1945."
-@zif

Bing is the same nonsense as ChatGPT. It's output is awful but the language is very nicely grammatically correct. I've only seem ChatGPT make one mistake language wise. I see no real threat from AI presently. I think in 3 to 5 years, it's going to be difficult to exist without interacting with it.

Back to the perpetual stew (sort of) - if anyone can be bothered with homework.

That's the same as Trigger's broom (non-UK won't know what that means, so click here).   It's actually about the Ship of Theseus thought experiment. 

I've always wondered about this in human beings. If your cells are being replaced continuously, are you the same person each year?  I mean, 7 years is supposed to be the cell replacement time in humans.  So if you are 70, you've been replaced 10 times.  Apparently your brain cells are not replaced. I suppose if they were, you'd never remember anything.  They just die off.   Some faster than others.

I also wonder about Star Trek. If you're beamed onto a planet etc., are you the same person who stepped into the transporter or just a facsimile?  We've been here before but this may help.

I might ask ChatGPT what we should have for dinner tonight as we're running out of ideas and have no time.

What are the VAT rates in Hungary?

The Hungarian VAT rates are the following:

Standard rate: 27%

Reduced rates: 5% and 18%

Hungary has opted for the reduced VAT rates on a number of items allowed by the VAT Directive.

Hungarian VAT Rates by goods and services.

The standard VAT rate is 27%. The standard VAT rate generally applies for all goods and services for which no exemption, 0% or one of the reduced VAT rates is foreseen.

The first reduced VAT rate is 18%. This reduced rate applies to certain food products, and entry to open-air music events.

In addition, there is a reduced VAT rate of 5%. This reduced rate applies, in general, to certain basic food products, pharmaceuticals, books, periodicals and newspapers, internet services, hotel accommodation, restaurants, or the sale of immovable property for the purpose of habitual residence under certain conditions, among others.

Supplies and services at 0% are the standard supplies, such as exports or intra-Community supplies.

Finally, some supplies are VAT exempt, such as health and social care, education, financial and insurance transactions and real estate exemptions.

Foodstuff 5% and 18%

Water supplies 27%

Pharmaceutical products 5%

Medical equipment for disabled persons 5% and 27% - reduced rate applies particularly for medical equipment for blind people

Children´s car seats 27%

Passenger transport 27%

Books 5%

Books on other physical means of support 5%

Newspapers 5%

Periodicals 5%

Admission to cultural services (theatre, etc) 18% and 27%

Admission to amusement parks 27%

Pay TV / cable 27% - 5% reduced rate applies for Internet services

TV licenses 27%

Writers / composers 5% and 27%

Hotel Accommodation 5%

Restaurant and catering services 5% - except from alcoholic beverages

Restaurants 5% - except from alcoholic beverages

Medical and dental care Exempt and 27%

Repair of shoes and leather goods  27%

Repair of clothing and household linen 27%

Hairdressing 27%

https://marosavat.com/vat/hungary/

This afternoon (in Portugal) I went to buy a little bit of fruit (tomato (big), peach, apple, apricot (big) 2 of each) and I paid 1.78 EUR. I was positively surprised. I have the feeling that I would have paid more in Hungary. In a different place I bought a kg of Mango and paid 2.79 EUR. However, cheese has become quite expensive.

When possible I always try and buy my veg from farmers markets.

@SimCityAT Our experience with that is quite mixed. We have bought fruit and veg at farmer's markets and the quality was not as good as e.g. Aldi or Lidl. Some supermarket chains seem to have pretty good buyers and I don't consider myself an experienced buyer in this category. But I agree that one can get lucky - as long as the price is right. I don't mind buying small fruit of Class II or III.

Btw, I am always impressed with the products at the markets (e.g. Meiselmarkt) in Vienna. However, some markets (e.g. Naschmarkt) seem to be very expensive.

@SimCityAT Our experience with that is quite mixed. We have bought fruit and veg at farmer's markets and the quality was not as good as e.g. Aldi or Lidl. Some supermarket chains seem to have pretty good buyers and I don't consider myself an experienced buyer in this category. But I agree that one can get lucky - as long as the price is right. I don't mind buying small fruit of Class II or III.
Btw, I am always impressed with the products at the markets (e.g. Meiselmarkt) in Vienna. However, some markets (e.g. Naschmarkt) seem to be very expensive.
-@nz7521137

I mean proper local farmer's markets, where the produce comes from their farms. Of course, it's seasonal Veg.

I do get my meat from one of our wine taverns. Usually just bacon. 

I mean proper local farmer's markets, where the produce comes from their farms. Of course, it's seasonal Veg.
-@SimCityAT

I've never found smoked bacon in continental europe to match UK smoked back bacon. Nothing like a bacon sandwich with mushrooms and HP sauce.

-@SimCityAT

I've never found smoked bacon in continental europe to match UK smoked back bacon. Nothing like a bacon sandwich with mushrooms and HP sauce.
-@fluffy2560

Bought some from Smoked Back Bacon from Lidl only the other day. Came from Ireland.

@SimCityAT Wow, we're going to Lidl next time!  Might not be in HU.  I used to bring bacon back on the plane but Brexit stopped that.  And stopped me buying proper cheese.

Mangos at Penny Mrket were 349 each. I didn't even look at them although I love mangos.Our experience with them here has been disappointing.

Never ripe enough, picked too soon.

We happened to be near Penny Market and bought a watermelon for 299 forints per kilo.

Usually shop there very rarely.

Yesterday my husband went to the farmers market .

He bought tomatoes which he calls,"American tomatoes" meaning once again grown indoors and not picked when fully ripe.

Nice peppers though and plums and new apples.

Last week he went there and found a real bargin.

Our charger for one of our laptops was messing up. He jerry-rigged it to wrok but I kept telling him to just order a new one and forget it.

He found the excact charger sold at the market for only 1,500 frints. He didn't even try to bargin them down in price. Works perfectly.

He knows when it's a good deal and he said he doesn't want to cheat poor people.

My MIL and FIL had a duble sized lot in Erd and he was from the countryside of Romania.

He knew how to grow anything, fruit trees etc.

Wine grapes for sure!

After trying the tomatoes he purchased yesterday this morning we both started remembering his mom's garden and how great everything tasted from it.

Hungary used to sell good quality items all year round, now it's never consistant. One time it's good quality and the next it isn't .

I try to have at least half my breakfast in the form of fresh veggies and it's getting harder all the time to do so.

Last few times we bought avacados they took forever to get ripe.

Hardly see very many greens at the farmers markets this year either.

The smoked bacon from Lidl is OK but I've had better, not for awhile now however.

Even at the piac sometimes a vendor selling good sausage and the next time it's not spiced very good.

We often buy just a tiny bit to bring home and see how it is. Go back to buy more and can't find it.

I've never been into eating that much but now days I'm trying to be very aware of how many vitamins each items has.I'm afriad those grown indoors are not exactly all that nutritious.

I'm adding tons of suppliments on the side.

Mangos at Penny Mrket were 349 each. I didn't even look at them although I love mangos.Our experience with them here has been disappointing.
Never ripe enough, picked too soon.

My MIL and FIL had a double sized lot in Erd and he was from the countryside of Romania.
He knew how to grow anything, fruit trees etc.
Wine grapes for sure!
After trying the tomatoes he purchased yesterday this morning we both started remembering his mom's garden and how great everything tasted from it.
Hungary used to sell good quality items all year round, now it's never consistent. One time it's good quality and the next it isn't .
I try to have at least half my breakfast in the form of fresh veggies and it's getting harder all the time to do so.
Last few times we bought avacados they took forever to get ripe.

I've never been into eating that much but now days I'm trying to be very aware of how many vitamins each items has.I'm afraid those grown indoors are not exactly all that nutritious.
I'm adding tons of supplements on the side.
-@Marilyn Tassy

The cheapest ripe and tasty mangoes we get from Aldi at 2.79 per kg. But in other supermarkets they are more expensive (almost 5.00)  and often not better.

Our neighbor in Györ has a small garden 15 minutes away on the bicycle. She always brings whatever she harvests (always too much for her family, but too little for a market) to MIL and us when we are there. Great stuff. Avocados are a real hit and miss in Portugal as well. Again, Aldi is pretty consistent here. Maybe they have a good buyer.

I have the suspicion that the obesity pandemic is a result of massively deteriorating soils. The food produced from these soils is lacking in vitamins and other minerals, but not in basic nutrients (carbohydrates, fats, ...). The human body tries to get the vitamins and other minerals it needs from the normal food and over-eats. That might be rubbish, though.

If the body doesn't get what it needs from food it will take it from ones bones and other organs( my mother lost a tooth with every baby, 6 in all, good thing they were back teeth!)

I lost 18 lbs 20 months ago. Was very slim but got down right skinny, boney looking thin.

I am fine now but still can't get my weight back to normal.

I'm 5'9" tall ( 175 centi) and now around 53 kilos. One can almost blow me over!

I eat the best I can and take many suppliments and spoonfuls of different oils. ( black seed, pumpkin and cod liver)

Just can't overeat at all.

Soups are a good way to get as many vitamins as possible at one time.

It's criminal how the soil has been abused. In the US I know there is too much glyphosate in the soil, grains have no real nurtrtion. Poor children given cereal for breakfast with nothing in it but carbs and sugar. There is a theroy that many of the recent racetrack accidnets with horses is caused by their poor quailty grains given in their feed. The owners of course spend allot on their care and try to feed them the best possible but the growers take short cuts for profit . Their tendons , bones ,ligaments just can't keep them going and they have accidents on the track and have to be put down. Some thing happens in humans but we usually aren't running at full speed and putting that much stress on ourselves.

@Marilyn Tassy I do not know how body works, I am 185 cm and a man so normally I should be 85 kg i think. I do not do any sport (apart from chess), I do not walk (my legs are so/so).

A small anecdote (at the start of my career) I came to my moms birthday, I only took junkfood and chinese (I think 70/75 at the time) former neighbour said that I was looking quite well (my poor mom as I had vegs and fruits (younger I was 55kg))

Now I eat quite a bit, but I am back to 60/65, I do not understand, but genes I suppose.

I do my best but diet does not mean all, plus over average or less. (Perhaps my smoking and whisky has an impact (I feel I am too light (even if I try to eat as much as I can)

When I met my husband he was 5'10" tall and an average weight of only 128 lbs.

I was upset because I was so,"fat" comparied to him. I was a healthy 19 year old at around 136 lbs.

I was forever on a diet to be slimmer then he was.

Now, he is a good 176lbs.

All my good cooking?

IDK.

I was really ill and lost allot of weight really fast.

I'm 100% healed now but the weight doesn't stay on.

Not sure if it's a side effect of being ill or losing weight but I'm not as full of energy as before.

Still acitve but not overdoing anything these days. Maybe it takes being on the brink to learn to be kind to yourself and not push all the time?

Sort of nice to give yourself an excuse to be lazy sometimes.

I and my deceased older sister were always the tallest and thinnest in our family. ( as far as the females go that is. My brother is 6' tall and my son is 6'3", a bit too tall for a small car)

Last family reunion had my brother ordering extra food for me, he said I was too thin, not really, everyone else was just a bit heavy compiared to me.

Today is a meat free day.

Having mushroom soup and making a simple Hungarian dish we like sometimes. Cabbage with noodles.

Just wasn't feeling like running to the shop for a meat dinner today.

Eggs for breakfast, have to keep up the protien, does ice cream count as extra protien, hope so, my snack after dinner.

My sister was 5'10" tall and at age 18 she only clocked in at 108lbs.

That's nothing. I was that low at the beak of being ill and it's scary to be that thin.

The good thing is they say thin older people live longer then heavy set ones.

Not sure if that's true or not but I'd like to think so.

I do my best but diet does not mean all, plus over average or less. (Perhaps my smoking and whisky has an impact (I feel I am too light (even if I try to eat as much as I can)
-@cdw057

When I quit smoking (thank god) in my late 30s I started to gain about 10 kgs. That was actually very good. These days I am trying to maintain a healthy BMI (https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/). Personally I would like to be (height - 100) * 0.9, but I never quite get there.

I find that usual Hungarian food is a bit heavy on the meat and noodles side. I enjoy that when I am there, but I also see that salad and fresh vegetable in't high on the restaurant agenda. At home we have meat (including chicken) once or twice a week and are otherwise quite vegetarian.

-@cdw057
When I quit smoking (thank god) in my late 30s I started to gain about 10 kgs. That was actually very good. These days I am trying to maintain a healthy BMI (https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/). Personally I would like to be (height - 100) * 0.9, but I never quite get there.

I find that usual Hungarian food is a bit heavy on the meat and noodles side. I enjoy that when I am there, but I also see that salad and fresh vegetable in't high on the restaurant agenda. At home we have meat (including chicken) once or twice a week and are otherwise quite vegetarian.
-@nz7521137

There's always been a bit of a debate about suitability of BMI as an indicator of healthy body weight.   Apparently Tom Cruise has a BMI that's too high and certainly a super fit individual.  Same for Brad Pitt.

I try to follow a Keto style diet.  Mainly it's because of avoiding carbs as I'm a Type 2 diabetic.  Root vegetables are the worst carbs for increasing your BG (Blood Glucose) levels.   Shame really as I quite like them.   It's also a bit counter intuitive to mainstream "healthy living" BS one reads online.  Keto is fat/protein OK but carbs out.

It's a case of sensible choices and becoming familiar with foods that have low GI (Glycemic Index - how quickly the carbs enter your bloodstream as  glucose).   

If anything will cause problems in restaurants, it's the sauces.  They put far too much sugar and salt in them it's criminal.  Same with pre-processed food at supermarkets.  Aldi and Lidl etc are the worst.  Cheap ingredients.

I smoked as a teenager, we even smoked cigars just to be,"different".

Yes, it was probably just so we looked ,"cool" and grown up.

I quit fr good at age 20 when I found out I was going to be a mom.

Perhaps every few years if I'm with friends who smoke, I may bum one off of them but really never think aboout buying a pack and smoking.

My husband quit cold turkey and never touched a cig for over 7 years. His HU co-workers in Ca. teased him because he didn't eat meat of smoke.

He started again but quit and never looked back.

He smoked at age 8 here in Budapest. They used to sell single cigs in a vending machine.

I can just see it, a tiny little skinny boy with a cig hanging out of his mouth!

St. kid for sure.

My freind in Az is taking a sort of vacation in a few weeks for 3 days.

She is already palinning their dinners,All take away from Whole Foods.

She has given up on restaurants as we have.

She was a big spender in restaurants too.

We now mostly have meat dinners but just a small portion.

It includes a fresh soup , side salad and usually a fresh veggies.

My mom served both a salad and a veggie with every dinner growing up.

She also lined us all up at night and gave us each a huge spoon full of cod liver oil...No wonder I had nightmares!

Fruit , carrot sticks and sometimes crackers with peanut butter were our only snacks allowed unless it was a holiday with her pies.

Rarely were there chips in the house or cookies.

BD's with cake and ice cream.

We also wer not allowed to just eat anything without asking first. No snacking before meals etc.Soda drinks were not common either, drink water was what we heard.

Too many children at home for her to take a chance of anyone getting ill but not having their veggies.

If anyone caught a cold, everyone got it, took weeks to run through everyone.

My husband still thinks I'm overdoing it with both a side veggie and salad every day.

We have cut back on most starches, hardly ever eat noodles, perhaps 2 times a month now.

Our go to grains are buckwheat or millet, sometimes brown rice .

One slice of bread in the mornings, usually rye for me.

If I could keep my husband away from his sugary pasteries, he'd drop weight like crazy.

I don't even think they taste good any longer.

I remember when our son turned one year old. We ordered a BD cake for him as in Hawaii they make a big deal out of nes first BD.

I took a few mothers and their babies to an ice cream parlor for a small party and the cake was for our little fmaily celebration that evening.

He spit his cake out, hated it.

Eating sugar is not normal, it is an aquired taste.

Pre-packaged foods are not food.

My son used to spend over $100. every couple of days in Vegas at either Trader Joes market or Whole foods. His car were junkers but he made sure he bought only the freshest foods and ate at home. Once in awhile we had Taco Bell but not often.

Never ate junk foods growing up myslef, mom just couldn't afford it health wise or with her pocketbook.

I think my generation's parents were lied to though with all the margine and terrible cooking oils they used. They thought it was new and better then lard or butter.

-@cdw057

-@nz7521137

There's always been a bit of a debate about suitability of BMI as an indicator of healthy body weight.  Apparently Tom Cruise has a BMI that's too high and certainly a super fit individual. Same for Brad Pitt.

I try to follow a Keto style diet. Mainly it's because of avoiding carbs as I'm a Type 2 diabetic. Root vegetables are the worst carbs for increasing your BG (Blood Glucose) levels.  Shame really as I quite like them.  It's also a bit counter intuitive to mainstream "healthy living" BS one reads online. Keto is fat/protein OK but carbs out.

It's a case of sensible choices and becoming familiar with foods that have low GI (Glycemic Index - how quickly the carbs enter your bloodstream as glucose). 

If anything will cause problems in restaurants, it's the sauces. They put far too much sugar and salt in them it's criminal. Same with pre-processed food at supermarkets. Aldi and Lidl etc are the worst. Cheap ingredients.
-@fluffy2560

I still think that as a rule the mentioned BMI calculator is good for a normal human and it doesn't over-simplify. We have very sporty friends (father an ex world champion in pole vaulting and his son an Australian Rules Football player) and they were/are a bit heavy for their height because of very low body fat. However, these people are never even thinking about BMI.

We are trying to avoid pre-processed food as well as fast food restaurants as much as possible. Aldi and Lidl do have very good products, but one should have a look at the labels and only buy when it suits. 

@SimCityAT VAT is important, but also pay for (indirectlty other things). Massively in Hungary agreed, but retirees can also benefit from these excessive levels. In any case people can see (of course I am strange but it is not too bad, something is too high, something is too bad, but anyhow (cross subsidizing) electrity, gas, water are VERY fine). For the retirees not buying too much high VAT is not too much bothering (so far)

I do understand high VAT is beneficial for rich people (indirectly)

So much depends where money goes and what I see it is not too bad

Just look

Yes I left, true, for some reasons, but that is apart, for retirees I think Hungary is not bad at all,

-@cdw057

High VAT is good for people that have what they want and don't intend to consume a lot. Low VAT is good for people that want to consume a lot. Low income tax is great for people that have lots of income. That's why places like Dubai are great, because they have very low VAT (5% for a few years now) and 0% income tax. For retired people with a good pension I agree that Hungary is pretty good.

-@cdw057
High VAT is good for people that have what they want and don't intend to consume a lot. Low VAT is good for people that want to consume a lot. Low income tax is great for people that have lots of income. That's why places like Dubai are great, because they have very low VAT (5% for a few years now) and 0% income tax. For retired people with a good pension I agree that Hungary is pretty good.
-@nz7521137

The current economic inflation crisis in Hungary is hurting the middle class big time. 

They are just about out of savings just trying to maintain their position. 

Wage inflation is going to be a problem in HU.  I expect there will be industrial strife in any future  wage bargaining rounds.   

@nz7521137 I hate Dubai and I love Hungary (in a way). I live now in Turkey, I love the people (if they seem to be commercial from time to time, but difficult to find people who are more friendly)

In Hungary there was also a VERY friendly atmosphere (especially chess),l they liked me and treated me (and my wife) very well, cards from club (President) at least three times per year, invitations for lunches with the clus etc, However I think this is not because I am such a good person, but I play chess not to bad, Still it was good and I have good memories.

But also Hungarian neighbours (in general) were good

Some melancholy, but a big house and a VERY big garden comes with efforts (not so easy for elderly people).

Right now in Turkey I can crawl to the Supermarket (50 m), the restaurants (at least 10) within max 500m (not easy, but the good food and service helps)

Finances is not too much of an issue, more where to go. In Hungary we had a car (company), but honestly only 2 or 3 good restaurants in 5 km range

However (with a car) supermarkets are there and you can buy what you want. (150 bottles of sparkling water is no problem at Lidl or Aldi, Jameson Whisky , just order 30 lt at one time, good red wine 120 bottles at the time, 30 sleeves of Marboro, 50 KG of pork meat no issue, gardener also no issue)

In a way sad I have to say, but also good, you can pay and you will get.

What is getting crazy in a village in Hungary are all the insects (Please do not tell me that wasps and bees are useful), however the use of these Stinking Bugs somebody has to explaing to me (mosquitos and flies are normal I would say)

Not so easy to find good balance in good life (comfortable or living)

I do realize it is off topic

Perhaps I should create a thread on insects in villages.

Bees are amazing. Just stay away from their territory.

Propolis drops made from bee pollen can cure many illnesses.

No bees and we all die off.

What is getting crazy in a village in Hungary are all the insects (Please do not tell me that wasps and bees are useful), however the use of these Stinking Bugs somebody has to explaing to me (mosquitos and flies are normal I would say)

Not so easy to find good balance in good life (comfortable or living)
I do realize it is off topic
Perhaps I should create a thread on insects in villages.
-@cdw057

I'm with Marilyn.

My Dad was an amateur aparist (bee keeper) so I've had a bit of experience of him dealing with bees. He was one of the people the police called when bees were swarming on someone's house. 

Bees are very important to the eco-system.  They aren't our enemies but friends.  Best friends to farmers. 

One of my relative's husband had a serious and recurrent infection in his skin.  Docs recommended he put some honey on it.   Fixed it very well.  It's a  marvellous substance known about since ancient times.

Wasps on the other hand are less desirable but they still have their jobs to do and their place in the world. I just wish they'd do it somewhere else.

Stink bugs, no thank you. Even if they also feed other animals.

The current economic inflation crisis in Hungary is hurting the middle class big time.

Wage inflation is going to be a problem in HU. I expect there will be industrial strife in any future wage bargaining rounds. 
-@fluffy2560

I would assume that it is hurting lower and middle class. Just lower income groups are more used to the struggle. The middle class might have (had) savings to maintain their standard of living and might run out sooner or later. In HU the alternative could be to work more (have a second job) or motivate the children to start working earlier or things like that.

HU (and the EU) will have industrial problems simply because all car manufacturers want to switch to EVs which can be made with much less manpower and with many more components coming from e.g. China. So very many people in that industry will be without a job pretty soon.

Wage inflation is going to be a problem in HU. I expect there will be industrial strife in any future wage bargaining rounds.
-@fluffy2560
I would assume that it is hurting lower and middle class. Just lower income groups are more used to the struggle. The middle class might have (had) savings to maintain their standard of living and might run out sooner or later. In HU the alternative could be to work more (have a second job) or motivate the children to start working earlier or things like that.

HU (and the EU) will have industrial problems simply because all car manufacturers want to switch to EVs which can be made with much less manpower and with many more components coming from e.g. China. So very many people in that industry will be without a job pretty soon.
-@nz7521137

There are a lot of assumptions in the idea people can just work more. People are already exhausted trying to keep up and it's not like jobs grow on trees. Businesses are closing down as energy prices increase and the government squeezes for more tax.

Even worse, children working earlier. It's not the Middle Ages. They should be in school or university as they are the future. But that's what they want, dumb down the proletariat further so they cannot compete with those already in power.

It's not just about the car manufacturers. Other issues will come to the fore. I am expecting there to be a water shortage - already reports in the news in some countries. I've said water would be an issue before. It will knock on effects in agriculture and perhaps increase migration further north. Even desalination won't be that helpful. It's very heavy on energy.

There are a lot of assumptions in the idea people can just work more. People are already exhausted trying to keep up and it's not like jobs grow on trees. Businesses are closing down as energy prices increase and the government squeezes for more tax.

Even worse, children working earlier. It's not the Middle Ages. They should be in school or university as they are the future. But that's what they want, dumb down the proletariat further so they cannot compete with those already in power.

It's not just about the car manufacturers. Other issues will come to the fore. I am expecting there to be a water shortage - already reports in the news in some countries. I've said water would be an issue before. It will knock on effects in agriculture and perhaps increase migration further north. Even desalination won't be that helpful. It's very heavy on energy.
-@fluffy2560

I didn't say it is easy, but getting some additional part time job might seem more attractive than reducing the "standard of living".

Most (all?) countries these days have a lack of trades people. Making "high school" and university attractive even to the intellectually challenged wasn't such a good idea after all. Getting a good electricial, plumber, brick layer, cook, mechatronics engineer and so on is very difficult and expensive. There is a real lack of people that can actually do something. So being an apprentice with 16 and making your own money with 19 isn't such a bad idea.

Water, too much of it or too little, might be a problem. Humans have adapted to that since the beginning. Ideologies that declare CO2, one major building block of life on this planet, a pollutant is definitely a problem. Most recent and current migration was caused by wars that "The West" inflicted on countries of he MENA and Asia. Sadly so.

-@fluffy2560
I didn't say it is easy, but getting some additional part time job might seem more attractive than reducing the "standard of living".

Most (all?) countries these days have a lack of trades people. Making "high school" and university attractive even to the intellectually challenged wasn't such a good idea after all. Getting a good electricial, plumber, brick layer, cook, mechatronics engineer and so on is very difficult and expensive. There is a real lack of people that can actually do something. So being an apprentice with 16 and making your own money with 19 isn't such a bad idea.

Water, too much of it or too little, might be a problem. Humans have adapted to that since the beginning. Ideologies that declare CO2, one major building block of life on this planet, a pollutant is definitely a problem. Most recent and current migration was caused by wars that "The West" inflicted on countries of he MENA and Asia. Sadly so.
-@nz7521137

Controversial statements there.   I am sure intellectually challenged plumbers would be after you. 

If you're a middle class bank worker, getting another job is not that easy.  What are people going to do? Clean toilets or offices? It is coming to that in the UK right now - clerical workers are working part time cleaning.  Most people haven't got over how demeaning they find it.  But I do know people who do it.

Trades only have  so much time in the day and people have to have disposable income to pay them. If their typical employer is on hard times, then so are they.   I've taken to doing much of my own work at home but I'm slow as I have other stuff to do.  But to make it go faster you need trades and more horsepower.

It's better to be a lawyer with a higher rate to pay lower rates to say mechanics or brick layers.  It's a financial eco-system.  Balance should be observed and maintained.

I don't think you can blame water problems on wars wherever when and where they occurred.  Around  here, only in Ukraine and the Crimean canal is there a war related drought. 

Hm... How many part time jobs have you had in the past 10 years? Given all the issues and difficulties of such employment. I think you have not had any.

(all?) countries these days have a lack of trades people. Making "high school" and university attractive even to the intellectually challenged wasn't such a good idea after all. Getting a good electricial, plumber, brick layer, cook, mechatronics engineer and so on is very difficult and expensive. There is a real lack of people that can actually do something. So being an apprentice with 16 and making your own money with 19 isn't such a bad idea.

There is not a lack of competent trade people, There is a lack of independent trade people that you can hire. There is an important difference. They all went to work for larger companies for larger projects. With guarenteed income.

Trade people need to earn an income, and the courrent economic, taxation and political environoment means that independent trades people can do better simply being employed by large construction companies. They earn a monthy salary that way. Rahter than trying to bid on contracts and then loosing money by inflation on basic materials. No one today at the age of 19 will make money or can even hope to start an indendent business. That is why you can not find someone to do "little work" on your house.

You also clearly have never worked as a tradesman in the construction industry in the past 10 years.

Ideologies that declare CO2, one major building block of life on this planet, a pollutant is definitely a problem. Most recent and current migration was caused by wars that "The West" inflicted on countries of he MENA and Asia.

The "CO2'" comment clearly puts you into the uneducated parroting propoganda crowd. And the "The West" thing... good grief. More pushing conspiracty and propoganda.

Side note: I looked at your "about" page and you have no "Hungarian" flag. You seem to be now in Portual. Struggling to understan the reasons you here at the Hungarian Forum.

Side note: I looked at your "about" page and you have no "Hungarian" flag. You seem to be now in Portual. Struggling to understan the reasons you here at the Hungarian Forum.
-@Saint Coemgen
Struggling to understand why you are in Hungary. Why I am on the Hungary forum is none of your business.

I am in Hungary because my wife in Hungarian. And we live in Hungary.

Why you, and I, are here is everyone's business. Because this is a public forum and the public shoud be informed on our reasons for being here. Saying otherwise is disturbing.

So again, what are the reasons you are here? And why are you seeming to afraid to make those reasons public? This is not a "none of your business" topic. This is public forum. Do you have anything to hide? :-)

And regarding "The "CO2'" comment clearly puts you into the uneducated parroting propoganda crowd." I would put you into the brainwashed idiot group. Maybe a good idea to avoid each other.
-@nz7521137

I have a graduate degree in Ecology and Resource Managment. So hardly uneducated. What is your education on these topics?

We can hardly avoid each other at this forum. To say that is silly.

• Thread temporarily closed for review :
  • Off-topic
  • Clash

Closed