Bank account

Hi,

My partner and I purchased a flat in Varna over 15 years ago.

We would normally pay electricity bills via direct debit through the bank. However due to pandemic and account inactivity bank has decided to close our account!!

We live in the UK but plan to travel to Varna in early autumn.  I have a EU passport. We both have Bulstat cards. So my questions are:

- is it worth opening a new bank account once in Varna? We do not require a use of debit card, not until we make a permanent move

- is there a virtual bank, similar to icard that we can open from UK

- can we open epay if we don't reside in Bulgaria to pay bills?

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Renny

@Renny_ I opened ePay on the app from the UK, takes a while to authorise a UK card on it for some reason..

@grahamstark1. Thank you for your response. Are you using Debit or credit card. Are there any transaction fees?

I dont use it anymore as now living here full time and pay through my UBB bank. However i used to use Barclays debit no fees but generally a poorer exchange rate than using Wise or Revolut which i now use to change and send my UK pensions to UBB .

@Renny_ highly recommend opening a Wise Account. It's all app based and very easy to use. You do get a debit card, but you don't have to use it. There's even a virtual payment card on the app! The fees are very transparent and very low. I've used Wise since 2020 and had absolutely no issues. The great thing is, you can hold up to 50 currencies under just one account number.

So I hold Leva, Pounds and Euros, I've also got Czech Koruna.

It takes a few days to set up and usually your receive a card within a week (pin seperately).

I can also send money to any individual or company, in any currency I hold. Exchanging currencies is at an excellent rate and instant.

I should add, as you live in the UK, your Wise Account would have a UK sort code and account number. You will also have an Iban number too.

To get started, just search Google Play for Wise, or on Apple Store.

Hope this helps.

Ian

@cyberescue1 Good morning Ian, Thank you for your response and information that is very helpful. If you have account in several currencies, can you pay bills for example in levas? Can't get my head around it. So if I set up epay.bg to pay for electricity, I will register with Wise account details but I can choose to pay using money from Wise 'levas' account? Many thanks again Renny

What CyberRescue1 said! I opened an epay account two weeks ago using my Wise card which has a BGN balance, and it was authorized immediately.  Open the Wise account, transfer some GBP into it, convert the GBP to BGN in Wise, then use the BGN balance to pay the bills on epay.

@janemulberry. Thank you for the additional knowledge and answering my questions, this is greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention that I did this from the UK. So I hope it will work for you to.