Registering my UK Car

Over the past week i have tried to register my Renault trafic at Vratsa KAT, all documents and import taxes were in order but Technotest refused to do a conformity test and said they were no longer allowed to register RHD UK vehicles since Brexit.

Has anyone heard of a new law being passed to this effect?

@grahamstark1 Sounds like total BS to me ... but something may have changed since I put mine through in Plovdiv last September. Some criminals cut my CAT out and I had it replaced with a resonator at the recommendation of my stepson ...... they didnt even mention it .... they tested the emissions and it passed no problem.

@Sticky59 Did you have a Euro Certificate of Conformity, sounds like Plovdiv may be my only option as Sofia Technotest said they wouldn't test it either.

I would have to go through my paperwork but that doesnt sound familiar. I did mine the hard way ..... brought it in back in 2019 .... let it sit through Covid, then went and got it sorted with customs, VAT headlight complience etc ..... then through KAT .... failed first time because English V5 did not have number of seats on the doc ..... off to Honda and 50 Leva later for a certified model spec sheet.

Will ask my stepson about the complience doc when I see him.

Plovdiv KAT is pretty straight forward .... I've been to Sofia KAT and its a bit of a free for all. Burgas people tell me is not nice. Which is unfortunate because thats where we are heading .... how ever it doesnt sound good for my RHD Transit that still needs Bg plates.

@Sticky59 yes i paid all import taxes, eco tax, inspection etc only to be told after all my headlights and VIN had be checked that it couldn't possibly pass because its RHD. I now have to get a Certificate of Conformity from Renault UK and see if they will accept that.

Good luck with your transit.

Its discrimination of course against brits from the eu gestapo.

What i read was..no rhd can be accepted for a change of registration

But rhd can be used in the country or across the eu..for tourists..so in and out no problem..to put a uk car on bg plates..now not possible.

Also heard that whole headlamp assemblies  had to be fitted...but that was a while ago.

@grahamstark1 Hi I brought my van to France last year, but a few months before I left I applied for a

CoC. If its a late model vehicle, it should already have one, because now they're issued new. Mine's 2007 and they didn't have them then. You have to apply to the manufacturer, in their home country.

My van is a Citroen, so I had to apply to Citroen France. It cost me 200 euros and I think it took a couple of months. There was a delay, but that was my fault, because I didnt know how to compress the photos of the van, so when I didn't hear anything for a while, I emailed them and they let me send the photos by email. I think the time scales vary depending on the manufacturer. You need to search online for a CoC and the manufacturer's name. There are companies who will do it for you, but be careful, because some will charge way over the odds.

@grahamstark1  I tried to buy a rhd  van 18months back but the guy was very honest with me as he had tried to register it and he is  Bulgarain he told me  you can no longer register rhd vehicles so I just Export  lhd vehicles as they sell for more money to the influx  of foreigners living in the UK who then Export them back to there country .

Hi, I organised the import of a RH Mitsubishi L200 at Varna only last month. Dealt with on the day by paying a guy who does it regularly, dropped the vehicle off in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. Prior to this lots of folk, including insurance agents near Kat office said I could only do it at Sofia and I would have to have different coloured number plates than locals. This turned out not to be the case and I could let you have the contact details of the Bulgarian guy who dealt with it all once I had paid the import taxes to the customs and received the certificate. Even if you cannot do it in Varna he may well have a contact in your place of residence who may be able to help. I took advice on this forum also and felt the outcome was pretty smoothly carried out at a reasonable cost.

@nettie605 yes please that would be great, i fancy a trip to the coast!

@grahamstark1 I have forwarded a response with contact details. Cheers. Annette

@grahamstark1 please confirm you have received my message with details of contact in Varna. Thanks

@nettie605 thank you, a great help, will call them tomorrow.

Graham

👍

@grahamstark1 you might find you have to get it from Renault France, but if you check with Renault UK they will tell you.

-@wtruckyboy

FAKE

Ireland and Cyprus drive Rhd. They are EU countries.

-@wtruckyboy

FAKE
Ireland and Cyprus drive Rhd. They are EU countries.
-@Anastasija_gust

And Malta

@wtruckyboy EU gestapo?

Well if you don't like it you can go back to Albion. After all, you racist islanders made the same kind of argument and see how well is playing out now. Why don't you go back to the UK if is so bad...and ohh, learn some history about the Gestapo and see what they were really doing, you ll find that is much closer to the British Police.

@nettie605 Hi Nettie,

I have a RHD UK vehicle, now registered in France, with a French Carte Gris and on French plates. I'm not sure if its the country of registration, or the rhd that's the problem, but I'd be grateful if you could message me the guys details just in case I need them. I am confused as to why you'd have to pay import duty. I brought mine to France with all the rest of my worldly goods and because it was on my inventory list and it was a permanent move to a my primary residence, I didn't pay import duty.

@Yuri1976 Racist islanders? That's a racist comment if ever I heard one!