Going Abroad to Work, Be Well Informed

To all of you who are thinking that working abroad is the answer to your life, please consider the following before you embark on that journey. Laws are not the same everywhere you go. You need to be informed and you need to do your homework before you leave home. Coming with only some information or no information is something you will regret.

I can't speak to all corners of the earth but I can speak to life here in China and working in China and the laws. I have lived and worked in mainland China for 16 years and I have pretty much seen the good, the bad and the very ugly. It is in that spirit I decided to post this.

For the last 3 years China has been closed to people who wanted to work here from outside the mainland, however things are now changing and doors have re-opened. Having said that the process is slow and tedious and many "agencies" that promise you a quick option are not telling you the truth.

Things you need to know before you come. The process is NOT and never has been quick. There are many hoops you will have to jump before you come and documents that must have the Chinese Authentication Stamp, be notarized in YOUR country and even translated before they are accepted.

These documents include but are not limited to: A current passport with at least 6 months remaining on the passport (I advise at least one year), at least 2 blank visa pages (again I would advise more). You will need to submit a current CV but keep it to one page. You will need to submit your BA degree (this is for most jobs) if you want to teach English that degree (now) has to be in English or Education. You will need possibly other certifications (for teaching English this means a min. 120hr TEFL or TESOL) you will need to have both of those documents authenticated and stamped with the Chinese stamp. Next you will need a police clearance from YOUR home country and this too must be notarized and authenticated, then a health check which needs to be authenticated, (are you starting to get the picture of the paperwork involved).  You need to send a passport photo head shot as well. You may be asked for other documents but these are the usual ones that BEGIN the process.

Once you have submitted these documents to an agency or directly to the employer then they are uploaded into the Chinese system and a letter of invite will be issued. You can't do anything until you have that letter, and at that time you will need proof that you have a flight to China, meaning you need to buy your ticket and bring that and the letter to the Chinese embassy to get your temp work visa. This visa is ONLY for 30 days upon arrival to China. Your employer or agency then needs to convert this visa into your longer work (Z) visa.

While it is good to have a contract before you come, don't rely on it. Contracts here are not the same as where you may be from and they can change. Having a contract doesn't insure that your new employer or especially agency has been totally up front with you.

You have no legal standing in China when it comes to contracts and that is a harsh truth for many who have come and then learned they were not given accurate information. So, what to do? Be informed before you come. Talk to people who are working in China now and know the situation. Don't assume anything! Get the facts from people who you can trust, however use some common sense and if it sounds too good to be true...well you know the rest.

Post COVID China in the "teaching English" Industry is very different from what it was pre-COVID. Many in our industry did not survive the last 3 years. Many schools want foreign teachers (even non-Native speakers) but once they have a teacher then salaries are often reduced or not paid. It's a sad fact. Agencies will promise you many things, oh and give you a contract but then you arrive and find a very different situation. I know as I deal with the aftermath of this on a regular basis with new foreign teachers who came and then found out what they were promised wasn't to be. Sometimes things can be worked out, often the teacher ends up leaving China after having spent a lot of time and money on the hope of having a job here.

You should check out the prospective employer, check websites but also check expat sites where past employees post reviews of those companies. Talk to people who are working here in China and ask them the questions that you have. Gather as much info as you can and compare what you learn and then decide. China is NOT for everyone. Living here will at times be very difficult even if you have language ability, you will not have "culture" awareness that is so important to survival here.

What to ask before you come? Ask for an offer letter from your new employer or agency that states your salary (at least a minimum salary) and any other paid benefits that come with the job like housing or local travel fees (from you apt to work). Ask for that offer to state what your job will be (title and hours of work) and what documents they need from you. Also they should state in that offer if this job is for one year or more so you are aware of what you have committed yourself to doing. Remember an offer letter isn't a contract per se but it at least will give you the terms and those are important.

Finally and most important, will the employer or agency give you a letter of release and recommendation once you have finished your contract with them. You want that in writing in the contract document that you and they sign. This term often is not fulfilled by some companies or agencies and that is a problem for you because without that letter of release and recommendation no other employer can hire you in China.

You will also want to verify that your working visa (Z) is for the job you were hired to do. Many times employers or agencies will get you a (Z) visa but not for the job you are doing. This can later be a huge problem if you try to change employers. Be aware that changing your visa to another employer is something your current employer will have to help you do. The two employers need to work together to get it done, this can later be rather sticky if not done correctly.

I have tried to mention all the big points of what you need to know before you come to China to work (or teach). Other countries can and are different but the basic rules apply. Know before you go. Don't blindly trust anything, educate yourself. Use common sense and finally ask the really and most basic question, are you sure you want to do this?

If you follow this advice you may well be on your way to a new adventure abroad.

inspiring, thanks for sharing!

can you also share anything about other chinese places that speak way more english, such as macau, singapore, or perhaps taiwan?

i do not speak a single word chinese (perhaps ciao) and feels like i may never learn it! 😔

@alevix

doesnt matter, many chinese speak english and part of the fun is getting your message across to someone who doesnt speak english!  i spent 14 years in Shanghai and i never learned chinese…

@alevix

In what they call Tier 1 cities (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou etc) you will easily find people who speak English so you knowing Chinese is not that critical.  In Tier 2 cities this same rule applies, Tier 3 cities (like Changchun where I live) many people speak English especially young people, so again it isn't that important you come with fluent Chinese. 

You will have some issues in smaller cities and the rural areas as English will not be that common.  However, if you are looking for a job you will not find jobs in small cities or the countryside, most jobs (legal jobs) will be in Tier 1-3 cities.

If you have some basic Chinese (counting to ten, and food items, and of course please and thanks) you will do fine.  I used a small English-Chinese, Chinese-English dictionary that I kept with me my first few years.  Back then phones didn't have translation apps.  Now phones have translation apps and those work well.

Come willing to learn and have fun.  Be able to laugh at your mistakes and just be open with people.  Some people will offer great help and others won't don't let it bother you.  If you are open to learning, China can be a great place.

Have fun...