Canadian looking for info about moving to or living in Italy

Hi, everyone.

I'm a Canadian currently living and working in the U.S. I just accepted a job offer with a U.S. company that will allow me to work from anywhere in the world.

I'd love to hear from others - I'm now seriously considering spending some of the 90 days allowed on the Schengen visa in Italy. The Amalfi Coast is looking attractive - Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano - but I'm open to other places.

Questions:

• How hard is it to find an apartment that rents for 3 months? I may need a furnished place. How much monthly?

• Having to work, I need fast internet - how fast are Wi-Fi services in the area? How much monthly?

• Also because of my work, can I find a place that is quiet enough to do work? I may be on Zoom calls 2-3 times a day. And I'd be working on U.S. hours. I can't work when there's constant noise.

• What are recommended wireless services? I have the latest iPhone that uses eSIM. How much monthly?

Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

Todd

Hi there, check out Idealista or Immobiliare.it for rentals in the areas you're looking at. I can't speak to internet speeds as it varies from area to area. Wind & TIM are popular cellphone providers & you can get prepaid SIM with 20GB for around €30.

Thank you so much! That cell phone info in particular is encouraging. I'll check out idealista. If you have the other link (it was blocked), please DM it to me. I'm new here; not sure if there's DM.

Hello everyone,

Please note that the link has been validated and is now visible.

@Todd Ramirez, you may also read the articles of the Living in Italy guide for expats under the accommodation section for more in depth details.

On a side note, feel free to create an advert in the Housing in Italy to get offers.

All the best

Bhavna

Hi just FYI you cannot legally work on a tourist visa. You can look into a freelance work visa that would let you stay longer.

Air BnB may be worth a look for 1 month rental contracts then you could move around if you wanted.

@Bhavna thanks a million! These are good leads for a newbie in the group like me.

@Willawonghill even if I'm working for an employer in the U.S.?

Keeping in touch with your office while you are on holiday is one thing, working is another.  Technically if you are working while here, you are earning in Italy and tax is payable in ITaly.  But its virtually impossible to check and prove. 

For a short contract such as 3 months, you will be stuck with Airbnb type contracts renewable every month.

Noise and wifi will depend when you are here.  If youre on a main tourist street in peak season there will be noise.  Choose a place a bit out of town or off the main tourist routes.   Italians are noisy by their nature. 

You can get a good data plan from Italian suppliers, but your new iphone may be blocked or tied to a provider in which case you'll have to get an unblocked phone. 

@Modicasa much appreciated! All valid points and helpful tips.

@Todd Ramirez You have to be working in/from Italy for 183 days a year for your income to be taxed in Italy, so no need to worry about that.

@aagianni9 thanks, that's a relief.

@Todd Ramirez

We found StalkLink (Elon Musks's network) to be the fastest link, and not expensive, other than initially having to pay 400euro for the dish. Then on it's 50 euro per month for 150 Mbps speed wifi.

@shellijoye   I meant to write "StarLink"  !!