Tips for settling in Mauritius (Insurance, bank, admin)

Thanks Julien for setting up this thread. My name is Millie and my husband is Matt.

He is a born and bred Aucklander and I am half Mauritian, half British - grew up in Hampshire, England. My parents live in Rose Hill and I have lots of other family members dotted around the island (Grand Baie, Long Mountain, Curepipe).

I got my Mauritian passport (by descent) and identity card during a visit to the island last December, and since then we have been talking about the possibility of moving there, more seriously recently when we realised we have both fallen out of love with life in New Zealand and especially Auckland where we are based at the moment.

Matt trades index futures and is a project manager for a commercial property company, also a qualified quantity surveyor. His plan is to set up in earnest as a trader full time when we move.

I am a journalist by trade with coming up to 14 years' corporate communications experience across in-house (10 years, public and private sector) and agency (four years, majority private sector). I would either freelance or look for a full-time role, depending on what's out there. I am currently two years into learning French. If only my mother had taught me!

We have a cocker spaniel, Aria, who loves the beach, so luckily she's on board with a move.

We are both very active - we love the great outdoors, the beach, hikes/walking, gym, boxing (Matt), yoga and running (me) - and social, we love dining out and the odd party.

We have so many questions we don't know where to start, so maybe we will just check out the conversations happening over the next few weeks and jump in when it feels right.

Thanks for having us!

Millie and Matt

Hi Millie and Matt, welcome to Expat.com !

It's great to hear that you're considering a move to Mauritius.

From your introduction, it sounds like you are primarily interested in enquiring about job opportunities in your respective fields.

To get started, it may be helpful to consider the following :

Read the Living in Mauritius Guide for Expats

Get in touch with Recruitment Agencies in Mauritius. They might share some infos about job prospects.

You may also identify some specific topics or questions to explore further, so feel free to open your own topic on the Mauritius forum.

All the best

Bhavna

@Bhavna Thanks so much Bhavna. We are open to job opportunities but both also ready to set up as freelancers / sole operators, so our primary focus is more on understanding how to get set up with life admin stuff like a bank account, mortgage, insurance etc.

Thank you for the prompt reply @ The Dolans

I am sure members have much to share with you, so I have created a new thread from your posts on the Mauritius forum

Have a nice day,

Bhavna

@Bhavna Thanks so much Bhavna. We are open to job opportunities but both also ready to set up as freelancers / sole operators, so our primary focus is more on understanding how to get set up with life admin stuff like a bank account, mortgage, insurance etc.
-@The Dolans

Hi :) Maybe I can help with the bank and mortgage topic.

I opened an account with ABSA (Premier Account). They requested

-) Proof of address

-) NIC

and because I did open a Premier account I had to give them a proof of income and also my income has to be credited to the ABSA account.

Tomorrow I have an appointment for home loan calculation and they requested the following documents:

-) bank statements last 12 month

-) as I am self employed all invoices issued by me of the last 6 month

-) tax returns 2022 and 2021 (last 2 years) from abroad

When it comes to work I prefer working with clients abroad (mostly Europe) because of course I lived my whole live there and the payment is higher and of course it would me much more difficult to enter the labour market in Mauritius since I am here just for a few weeks. I don't think that I can compete in my area (taxes) with someone from here. That's why I work remote for European clients because I am used to their tax system.

What are your questions regarding bank and mortgage?