If anyone has any advice

@Julien Hi, my name is Elaine. I'm a retired Brit, currently approaching my 2nd temp visa in France. I love the country, but I'm really struggling with bureaucracy and the expense of everything. I'm a bit of a DIY enthusiast and my French house is a work in progress, but as much as I love it, I'm considering a move to Bulgaria. I'm not sure if my temp residency in France makes things any easier, but first I need to find the best area for me and do some research. I have lots of animals, so I need to be reasonably rural, as I dont want to upset any neighbours. Juxtapose to that, I don't want to be in an area where's there's a lot of hunting. It's a downside of France for me and I know it will be a downside of Bulgaria, but I'd like to minimise that downside as much as possible. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it  as long as its not telling me to stay in France 😉

@grumpyoldbird

Welcome to the expat.com forum and good luck with your potential move to Bulgaria!

When you say "temp visa" is it actually a Brexit-related (Article 50) "temporary residence permit" issued for 5 years? If so, then your renewal should not be a 2nd temporary, but a 10 years (usually) permanent residence permit. The PR effectively grants you the right to live in France indefinitely, with renewal of your permit upon request. So it's recommendable to do this renewal, so that you don't lose your French rights (in case, for example, you don't like Bulgaria).

The PR does not grant automatic residence elsewhere, but many countries do simplify the process for those holding a PR in another EU country. I believe Bulgaria is one of them, as there is a specific chapter related to this in the Foreigners in Bulgaria Act.

https://www.mvr.bg/docs/librariesprovider14/%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BA%D1%83%D1%80%D1%81%D0%B8-%D1%87%D1%80/foreigners-in-the-republic-of-bulgaria-act_50.pdf

Also, there is a slightly different form of PR, the EU Long Term Resident's Residence Permit, which does grant EU mobility, similar to an EU passport. But not every EU country is issuing them, so you'd need to check what France does.

@gwynj

Sadly, no. Its a VLS-TS visitors visa, which is the only thing retirees can get now for France. Its only valid for one year and I've just recently applied to renew it. I'm still classed as a French resident, because my primary  ( actually my only ) home, is here. I'm not sure how I would need to start the process now, or even who to contact to ask for advice. I'm kind of in limbo. 🙂

Hello everyone and welcome on board, Elaine !

Please note that I have created a new thread on the Bulgaria forum from your posts and @gwynj response so that you may better discuss.

All the very best

Bhavna

@Bhavna thank you