Your first days in your home in Thailand

Hello everyone,

Do you remember the first time you set foot in Thailand? One of your main concerns must have been the settling down process in your new home.

Share your experience and tell us what it was like to find your new home in Thailand and how the moving-in process worked for you.

How did you find it (with an estate agency, your company, social networks, friends) and how long did it take?

At that time, what were the most common housing options available in your area ? How did you narrow down your search?

Did you opt for a temporary housing solution during your first days in Thailand?

What are the main differences you noticed with your home country when it comes to the type of housing and formalities to settle in, etc.?

What struck you the most when you first moved in? Were there any challenges that you faced? If yes, how did you overcome them?

Is there any piece of advice that you would like to give to future expatriates to make their new place feel like home?

Thank you for your input.

Cheryl
Expat.com team

How did you find it (with an estate agency, your company, social networks, friends) and how long did it take?  Internet, close to 2 years

At that time, what were the most common housing options available in your area ? How did you narrow down your search? I listed 12 things I particularly look for in a house and narrowed to those that meet at least 10 of those.

Did you opt for a temporary housing solution during your first days in Thailand?   I guess everyone will go to a temporary housing solution while the title is being processed.

What are the main differences you noticed with your home country when it comes to the type of housing and formalities to settle in, etc.?  Cold, expensive and mostly low-rise where I'm from.

What struck you the most when you first moved in? Were there any challenges that you faced? If yes, how did you overcome them?  The main challenge is the acquisition.  Once I get the Chanote to my name and the keys, everything else will be easier. 

Is there any piece of advice that you would like to give to future expatriates to make their new place feel like home?  1.  Find a reputable Western agent/company.  No disrespect meant but I am dealing with Thais and on more than 1 occasion there were misunderstandings due to how English was used;  also, Western folks specifically, are objective while Thais can be emotional.  My agent got hurt when she learned I was reaching out to the seller's agent, thinking I was going behind her back when all I was doing was just due diligence -- something objective.  2.  Research free online purchase contracts so that you are ready to put as many stipulation in your favor come negotiation time.  I went without much research and got creamed. 1f923.svgThis goes back to the item (1) which is about using a Western agent/company because the Thai agent I have is friendly to the Thai agent of the seller and was not really representing my best interest.   With Western agent, there is expectation he/she will put you above the seller's interest especially if you approach him/her at the start in that way -- that you expect him/her to lead the Contract.  3.  Wire transfers could take as much as 7 days so be conservative on your timeline and allot 7 days per wire in the Contract so you don't get penalties if there were delay penalties in the stipulations.     

Thank you for your input.

Cheryl
Expat.com team
-@Cheryl

@Cheryl my mother in law was on the look out for a place for us in a quiet secluded neighborhood where her sister lived , we first rented a row house  just down the street and when a row house became available we bought it , cash with no negotiation and mom got the Thai price for her daughter my wife and they did not know a falang was involved .. the house needed lots or work , terrible internal blue walls 3 coats of white paint to cover it all up, upgraded from fuses to dual breaker boxes , kitchen was non existent just a space , nowt it has a proper sink and counters and storage cabinets, up graded toilet, and put a water heater in the shower, replaced the 2 bathroom rotted wooden doors with nice white plastic and stainless hardware, curtains, and LED lights, AC in both bedrooms and the downstairs living room , we did everything but the AC install, had bought 2 units at home pro and they installed, also put in a large 56 inch ceiling fan , whisper quiet and great most of the time ... decently sturdy house 1100 sq/ft 800,000 baht ... with a carport and a back 2nd floor covered porch ... 6 years ago now one up the street similar but no upgrades 1,300,000 baht ...