Detran Sao Paulo

I need to go to Detran in Sao Paulo to get a Brazil Driver's license (CNH) based on my current, valid USA drivers license. My address is in the city of Sao Paulo

1. Can I go to any Detran office in the city? Is there any office that is better than others for foreigners?
  2. Will they accept the translation of the drivers license with the electronic signature from the translator? On one occasion, another government office required an original signature and would not accept the electronic signature
  3. Is it possible to get everything done in one day? Detran office + medical + psychological tests?
  4. Will the appointment be relatively on-time? Just want to plan if I may be there for long time
  5. I read somewhere that some people use a "despachante" to help with Detran. What exactly would a despachante do?  How do I find a despachante?

Appreciate any advice on the above or other current challenges with getting a Brazil drivers license.

I am familiar with this whole process in MG but not in Sao Paulo

04/17/23 Will they accept the translation of the drivers license with the electronic signature from the translator? On one occasion, another government office required an original signature and would not accept the electronic signature
Appreciate any advice on the above or other current challenges with getting a Brazil drivers license.
-@californiainbrazil

I had an electronic signature on the Sworn Translation of my US license at DETRAN-AM in Manaus. The clerk didn't recognize what it was, and when I explained, he said that he couldn't verify it; I don't think that he had an internet connection on his workstation. I asked him what we could do, and he suggested having it authenticated by their in-house cartório.

The person at the cartório said that she couldn't verify it, and couldn't authenticate it because it was an original document and there was nothing to authenticate, but that she could take a copy of it and authenticate the copy for R$12. I told her to go ahead, took the authenticated copy back to the clerk, and he happily proceeded to process my application.

The person at the cartório said that she couldn't verify it, and couldn't authenticate it because it was an original document and there was nothing to authenticate, but that she could take a copy of it and authenticate the copy for R$12. I told her to go ahead, took the authenticated copy back to the clerk, and he happily proceeded to process my application.
-@abthree

That's absolutely hilarious and so Brazil

I need to go to Detran in Sao Paulo to get a Brazil Driver's license (CNH) based on my current, valid USA drivers license. My address is in the city of Sao Paulo

CJust my opinion here trying to help. I seem to be at ETRAN often, way too often,

Can I go to any Detran office in the city? Is there any office that is better than others for foreigners?

As far as I know, you can go to any DETRAN office, anywhere for all of their services. Although I find a lot of people today speaking English as I travel around Brazil, I have never found anyone at a DETRAN office that does. I have never had a good DETRAN experience as a foreigner, they love being at the top of their pyramid.

Will they accept the translation of the drivers license with the electronic signature from the translator? On one occasion, another government office required an original signature and would not accept the electronic signature.

As Abthree showed, I would avoid anything that complicates anything with DTREAN

Is it possible to get everything done in one day? Detran office + medical + psychological tests?

I truly doubt it, nothing with DETRAN seems to get done in one visit. Last week, three different DETRAN agents sent me out to get a photocopy of the same document. The final and fourth agent I had to see scanned the same document into their system.

Will the appointment be relatively on-time? Just want to plan if I may be there for a long time

My appointments have been kept within say 15 minutes. I park on the street, pay for an hour of parking, and am usually in their office for 3 hours, electronically adding parking meter time by cell phone

I read somewhere that some people use a "despachante" to help with Detran. What exactly would a despachante do? How do I find a despachante?

I learned this trick only a couple of years ago. Now, my despachante is the first person I text to see if he can do my DETRAN work for me. OMG yes, if you can find a despachante to deal with any of your DETRAN stuff, do so always. I also have a professional facilitator I use in SP, once I learned there was such a thing. He takes care of everything, you just cannot imagine the range of things he can do. His name was given to me by a member of this group a few years back, and I have passed his name on to many, many people. He does all immigration, and real estate transactions, he has attorneys, tax people etc. If it has to do with Brazilian bureaucracy, he is connected and can do it.

-@californiainbrazil

In my experience (in Bahia), you can never get driver's licence matters done in one day because the medical exam iis not done at the Detran location. Psychological exams are. To do the medical exam you must visit Detran, start the process, pay for the medical exam there, and then schedule that exam with a doctor at another location. As others have noted, there is also a good chance Detran will require documents you didn't know you needed and you will have to return. This makes a good case for doing this at a Detran office nearby.

04/17/23 In my experience (in Bahia), you can never get driver's licence matters done in one day because the medical exam iis not done at the Detran location. Psychological exams are. To do the medical exam you must visit Detran, start the process, pay for the medical exam there, and then schedule that exam with a doctor at another location. As others have noted, there is also a good chance Detran will require documents you didn't know you needed and you will have to return. This makes a good case for doing this at a Detran office nearby.
-@jonesio

That was my experience in Amazonas, as well.

@californiainbrazil if you don't speak very good Portuguese you better take someone with you who does.

@rraypo

helli rraypo, we are currently looking for a referred despachante, cozld sou please share the name and contact? and, does he speak english (that would be amazing)? thank you

@rraypo
helli rraypo, we are currently looking for a referred despachante, cozld sou please share the name and contact? and, does he speak english (that would be amazing)? thank you

-@hamletchicle0l

As far as I know, despachantes only work in their localities. The people I have used are in Sao Jose do Rio Preto, in the state of SP.  I do have a facilitator in the city of SP who can do just about anything, from small to huge, from immigration to large business ventures. He did tell me he can do driver's licensing etc.  He is older and very experienced. His son is in the same business in Rio. If this is of any help to you, please send me a private message and I will do my best to help you out. We do not advertise in this group, so I cannot post their information here.