Moving to Kenya

From the UK, will be retiring in the near future.

Was in Kenya last year, and will be returning again later this year-this time stay around Mombassa.

My plan is to retire in Kenya. This is a big curve ball, and any help, advice, best tips etc would be appreciated.

Make sure you have 24,000 a year income before you try to retire

To get an Easy residentcy, if you put $100,000.00 USD in a Kenyan bank, your lawyer can get your residency for you I think within about 3 months. Once it's complete, your money is free to do with what you want!

I'm from America, so I don't know how much they need in the bank if you are from UK.

Once you have residentcy, you are free to work, start up a business, etc.

Hi, you probably need a Class K Permit.  One of the main requirements (as posted above) is an income of $24,000 per annum (about £19,000) which should be from sources other than work in Kenya - the government do prefer it if the income is from outside Kenya.  The permit costs Ksh 100,000 per year and is usually renewable on a 2 yearly cycle.  It is fairly straightforward to apply for and you shouldn't need a lawyer.  However the application can take a few months.

I am aware of people who have been given a Class K Permit with less than $24,000, but this would involve a substantial bribe.

Regarding the 'Easy Residency' referred to above..........I am unsure what is being referred to here.  Permanent residency is only granted after 7 years of lawful residence with other types of permit (3 years if you have a Kenyan spouse).  There is a class of permit which requires you to have a capital of $100,000, but this is an investors permit (Class G).  Having applied for one in the past, its rather more complex that having $100,000 in the bank and waiting 3 months, as you do need to have a business registered.  For renewal, accounts have to be presented.  Its not the right permit for a retiree.

@Longonot62 Good point. I sometimes wonder if it's worth it at all!

Hello. I appreciate the interesting information on this thread.

I'm wondering if the above mentioned requirements also apply to expats (EU citizens) who are married to a Kenyan.

On a side note, I used to live on and off in Nairobi for 3 years but only on a tourist visa.

My wife is Kenyan and we plan to settle in Kenya for retirement in a few years. My pension will be below the mentioned US$ 24,000/year. Also the $100,000 cash will be difficult for us to raise. However we own a plot in Kiambu county which is now worth about $90K and possibly a bit more in 3-4 years. We would like to build a home on the plot.

Does that count for getting a permanent residency? Or is it all irrelevant as my wife is a Kenyan citizen?

Any hint is much appreciated.

PS. I found this on the go.ke website. Is this still valid or are there any "hidden" regulations?

https://immigration.go.ke/spouse-to-ken … ategory-d/

Asante sana

@FemiB You can apply for citizenship by marriage. This would be much better, because instead of being a resident you would be a citizen with all the rights and privileges associated with that status.

See the following link.

https://fns.immigration.go.ke/infopack/ … /marriage/

Surah; you cant apply for citizenship by marriage unless you have another type of permit first, such as a work permit, Class K Permit and so on (and not serial single entry visas/permits).  I know because my wife is Kenyan.

So, you have to apply for another type of permit, say a Class K first, because after a continuous period of over 6 months in country, you must apply to the police for a certificate of good conduct before you can take the next step and apply for PR or citizenship.  In fact even if you somehow manage to get a new single entry visa without leaving Kenya and stay over 6 months that way, you won't be able to get the certificate of good conduct - it must be a residence permit of some type.  The good news is that you just have to be married to a Kenyan for 3 years and ongoing, but there is no requirement to live in Kenya during this time.

FemiB: I am not sure where the $100,000 is coming in as this is for a Class G Permit, where you intend to operate a business.  For a Class K you need an income of $24,000 per annum (or equivalent), plus the Ksh 200,000 fee.  There is a contributor on here who managed to obtain a Class K Permit with less savings than the advertised $24,000 which involved a sizeable bribe, so it is technically possible, but you will have to obtain some 'help' and have an additional Ksh 100,000 or so ready!

If your wife works in Kenya, then you should be able to get a Dependent Pass - she needs to evidence that she makes enough to support you. 

Surah; you cant apply for citizenship by marriage unless you have another type of permit first, such as a work permit, Class K Permit and so on (and not serial single entry visas/permits).  I know because my wife is Kenyan.

Got it, and thank you for the correction.

@kevmichael1963

HI....I assume you are a man.  I'm a 62 single female, no children....and m\y plan is to retire in Kenya as well.  I currently live in California and am looking to visit Kenya this summer but I don't have anyone to travel with.  Can we swap phone numbers and/or email addresses and talk about this?

Would really appreciate it...

Thanks,

@laralynkjohnson Traveling in a company of someone is cool, however you can join group safaris in Kenya where you will not only save but also feel part of the group. On relocating to Kenya, I think enough information has been provided. Most important is to know where and what one will be doing in Kenya more so to earn a living. I have seen a couple of tourists who relocate to Kenya after falling in love with country only to end up miserably. Most of them though was out of their reckless spending and wastage in women and small boys.

@kevmichael1963

I believe enough information has already been offered which is essential in helping you relocate. With my experience with tourists who relocated after a couple of visits, due diligence is crucial before making up your mind. First, I have seen some relocate as rich guys and end up miserable for having not done their homework well. Though most is due to their wasteful spending, and their resources got finished before starting something meaningful to earn recourses.

My most important point you must consider, is what will you be doing? You must have the answer to that question first. I have seen 2 coming and starting home based travel agency where they get their friends from mother countries visits the country while they earn from their visits. In fact, most companies owned by foreigners started this way and most are doing very well.

Nevertheless, you will never go wrong with Kenya and in Kenya, if you have your plans well planned.

@kevmichael1963 ****

Moderated by Bhavna 10 months ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the Jobs in Kenya section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct