Post-Covid-19 situation in Portugal

Hello everyone,

The COVID-19 pandemic had a huge impact on the world, including on expats' lives. Travel restrictions, business closures, budget cuts, and health measures have created unprecedented challenges for those who have chosen to live in Portugal.

Now that the pandemic is moderated, expats are adjusting to a new daily routine. So tell us, how is your expat life now:

Are there still any health measures in place in Portugal? If so, what are they (wearing a mask, barrier measures, etc.)?

Have you noticed any changes in the population's habits or behavior after the pandemic?

What is your new work rhythm: do you still work remotely or are you spending more time in the office?

Have you changed your spending habits? If so, which ones?

Despite this pandemic and its consequences, how do you see your future in Portugal?

Do you have any advice for other expats and future expats on this new daily life in Portugal?

Thank you for your contribution.
Mickael
Expat.com team

The only thing that I notice is that in hospitals/clinics one still has to wear a mask. And there are still some people (from young to old) that wear masks (in cars, on the beach, in the streets) for whatever reason they might have.

The future in and for Portugal is probably much more influenced by events that are not related to Covid (e.g. inflation, climate change, political reaction to climate change, migration, Ukraine war).

We just returned from a month spent in Portugal, from the Algarve, through Alenteju and central Portugal. We masked at all indoor areas, but saw few if any others masked in any situations throughout the country. Everyone seems to believe that the pandemic is over, despite the fact that many people around us were coughing and the rates of Covid infection and hospitalization in many areas is climbing, and despite the dire warnings about the devastating effect of long covid on all organs of the body, including the brain.

It's the same back here, although there is slightly more masking here in Canada.

I still mask at grocery stores and other crowded indoor spaces but hardly anyone else does so.  Not surprising because here in Texas, people were complaining about masking during the height of the pandemic and pretty much continued to party like rock stars.  Schools were having dances with 300 kids, etc.

@nz7521137 not anymore. The mandatory mask at health facilities was dropped this week. No mandatory masks anywhere anymore.

@SunsetSteve In Portugal no one talks about Covid anymore. There are zero rules in place. It became a normal respiratory disease like the flu and is treated just the same. No one is dying from Covid here.

@Mickael  bom dia! My personal experience has been a significant feeling of freedom as opposed to the US. The only mask requirement I encountered a few months ago was in a hospital, otherwise, life is back to normal. I have noticed the pop up testing places are closing and being renovated into stores. The focus here seems to be on living and moving forward in a normal way although anyone who wants to wear a mask is free to do so and is not ostracized.  In contrast, I recently landed in Atlanta and saw signs everywhere about Covid and testing and isolating and advertisements for boosters and more boosters everywhere.

I recently landed in Atlanta and saw signs everywhere about Covid and testing and isolating and advertisements for boosters and more boosters everywhere.
-@SirenitaEppie

Well, there is good money to be made with boosters and more boosters everywhere.

@SunsetSteve We have finished the masking here. Portuguese are not going to live their lives being fearful. If you want to mask up go for it but we are done. The number of cases are way down and we are all intelligent enough to know we dont have to mask up, if you dont like it stay where you are in Canada and comply with your******* prime minister.

Moderated by Yoginee last year
Reason : Let's avoid getting political here please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct