Need advice on electricity bill

Hi All,

I am in Barcelona. My electricity supplier is Factor Energia. My bills have risen so much over the past year. I recently sent them my meter readings for the first time and was expecting to see a massive adjustment i.e. deduction as I am sure I have overpaid on estimated usage. They tell me there is no deduction. My last bill supposedly based on actual usage is the same- about 130 euros for one month, one person, not using heating. Can this be right? shouldn't there be an adjustment for the whole 3 years I have been here once they have the actual reading? If so, where in spain do I go for help?

Hi All,
I am in Barcelona. My electricity supplier is Factor Energia. My bills have risen so much over the past year. I recently sent them my meter readings for the first time and was expecting to see a massive adjustment i.e. deduction as I am sure I have overpaid on estimated usage. They tell me there is no deduction. My last bill supposedly based on actual usage is the same- about 130 euros for one month, one person, not using heating. Can this be right? shouldn't there be an adjustment for the whole 3 years I have been here once they have the actual reading? If so, where in spain do I go for help?
-@tacochina

Energy bills have increased across Europe at a shocking rate, so it is most properly right. My Gas bill in Austria was €1100 for the last quarter and it was a mild winter.

I do expect a rebate.

Hi Tacochina,

Factor Energia is a small company and they may well be charging you a lot per kilowatt depending on your plan. I had similar problems and I changed to Enedesa one luz - this is a fixed kilowatt rate 24 hours a day, it saved me a lot of money.

I would suggest you phone up Endesa and have a bill handy, they can tell you how much they would charge you for the electricity you consumed.

My experience with Endesa has been excellent, highly professional and transparent - no BS.

@kenneth130572 thanks for the advice. I will suggest this to my landlady. I am concerned that the current supplier has not replied to my request for a rebate, it seem so impossible to get any customer service in Spain.

Our apartment in Elche is with Endesa. Our typical bill is around 50-60 euros. But this is for general usage, and we're quite careful. Heating/cooling (this is in an older building, typical Spanish construction with little or no insulation) is a whole separate issue and can run up a very large bill on its own!

@gwynj  that's very reasonable. I live alone and don't use the heating/AC so I'm obviously paying far too much. Would you happen to know if having given a meter reading, I should expect them to now calculate actual minus estimated usage as in uk?

You should be able to check your most recent bill for the kWh used, and the meter reading to calculate it. Either they used your supplied reading, or it's still estimated.

You should also be able to see the tariff charged per kWh, in case you have some ridiculously high contract/tariff (hopefully not, but I suppose it's a possibility).

@gwynj thanks. It turns out they do use the actual reading, cannot believe the prices right now! Now switched to Repsol the rates are much better.