TAX ON HOUSEHOLD ITEMS BEING SHIPPED TO DR

I was born in DR but am a US citizen and have lived here all of my adult life. I'm planning on moving back, buying a home, and shipping my household items including car. Have been told that as Dominican born, my household goods are not subject to custom taxation.

There is no Dominican Consolate in the town I live in here in the states. There is a small, acting, consulate, in a nearby town, 2 hours away. I called and was told they do not have that info. That due to the new government, laws have been changed. I have not been able to reach the Consulate in NYC by phone.

I'm a senior lady and thought moving back home would be "a piece of cake." Sadly, that does not appear to be the case.

If anyone has any info regarding taxes and/or any experience in using a shipping company. Please share. Thank you.

There are door to door shippers (Mundanza's) that have all costs included.  Firstly, you need to say what town is your home in, so that others know who is available in your area.

Check the Aduanas website. They have the details on what is allowed for repatriating Dominicans.

And you will need your Dominican passport etc.  The rules have not changed under this government and it's fairly straightforward on what is allowed.

I was in the same position as you. I learned that if you have been here in Dominican Republic for 6 months, in the last two years, then you do not qualify for the tax exemption. You have to add up all the time you have visited here and if that makes six months or more then you do not qualify. Sadly that happens to me. If someone knows something different I would love to hear it.

Thank you.