How do I prove I am not married so the deed can be approved?

Is there a federal register for US citizens that can affirm I am not married? Apparently Single Status filing on tax forms is not enough. The passport does not say I am single either.

Thanks

You should be able to go to your local courthouse to get a document that says you are not married. This is what I had to do to marry my Ecuadorian wife.

Damon.

Hey Damon,

Thanks for the quick answer -- is there any requirement for the document, such as what is this document actually called? What is its official title? Are there any examples of said document? And does it need to be from the state where I was divorced, or from the state where I live now? (it's a difference of over $50). As far as I know it's generally called an Affidavit of Single Status but the actual document name is in question.

Thanks,

Shan

This was a few years ago since I was married, but I think it was called an Affidavid of Matrimony. I went to the courhouse of where I lived. I think because marriage must be recognized in all states equally, they will have record of your status. You will need to get the document translated into Spanish and apostilled as well.

I actually used a lawyer (wife's cousin) to get all this done accurately, and she lives in Guayaquil where we got married. So we had that advantage.

Damon.