Living & Working in Zanzibar

Hello,

I am interested in relocating from the UK to live and work in Zanzibar. I am 47 years old, married with an 11 year old daughter.

I am a qualified insurance professional and my wife is a qualified Nursery Nurse/Manager, we both have 20 years+ experience in our respective professions.

Would someone be kind enough to offer me some advice on the realities and practicalities of moving to Zanzibar? What is the likelihood that we would both get jobs and be able to live/work in Zanzibar?

Any advice gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Richard

Hello richardjsmith76,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

If you don't mind, could you please tell us why you chose Tanzania more precisely Zanzibar?

I hope that people living there will be able to give you feedback on how life really is in Zanzibar. 1f601.svg

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hello Cheryl,

Thank you.

Do you mean other than the climate and beautiful location?! :)

I live on an island too and like the idea of 'island life', I have also read about a British lady that emigrated t Zanzibar about 2 years ago and she spoke very highly of it.

Look forward to hearing from members that currently live there.

Thanks  again,

Richard

@richardjsmith76

hi, just signed up and thinking of a move to Zanzibar and read your post. Just wondered if you made the move and how it is now? Many thanks, Michelle 😃

@tpotgoss Hi Michelle, no, I only made the enquiry a couple of weeks ago. I did correspond separately with a nice lady who did give me some practical advice. She said "Zanzibar is a beautiful place to live but also hard for westerners. Jobs go to locals unless they're in hospitality or teaching in the expat schools."

So unless I was going for a specific job, I'm not sure it's feasible to be honest. She also recommended that we visit for 3 weeks, before making any life-changing decisions, which is sensible bearing in mind I've never been!

Hope that helps :)

Best wishes,

Richard

@richardjsmith76

hi Richard! Yes that helps al lot and sounds like a sensible plan, im  qualified in special needs teaching so that may work for me, but a months holiday first sounds good to me! I wish you well in your venture, let me know how it goes! And viva Verda!

good luck!

Michelle 😃

@richardjsmith76

Do you mean other than the climate and beautiful location?! :)

Okay fine! Now I understand it better hehe 1f60d.svg

I wish you all the best,

Cheryl

@tpotgoss Hi Michelle,

Sounds great, wishing you all the best!