Introduction from Traci :-)

Hello (hopefully soon-to-be-neighbours!)

My partner and I currently reside in South Africa and have a future work opportunity in Mauritius (Black River area). I have gone through the guide for 2023 (very helpful - thank you!) but I still have a couple of other questions, that I'm hoping you lovely people can assist me with!

Language: Would it be best for us to be completely fluent in French or would we "get by" with basics such as greetings and simple phrases/questions (e.g. where is/what is etc.)?

Packing: what are some of the things that you wish you had brought with and which you had left behind? Obviously, we want to pack personal items but not sure whether it's worth paying shipping for things like couches, fridges, washing machines, etc.

Internet: Is it mobile only or are there fibre options?

Vehicles: Is it really worth buying one? From what I can gather, the public transport infrastructure is good but for the sake of independence, would a scooter be best for the "quick runs" to grab some groceries. Coming from SA, I'm also keen to hear about the safety of such a mode of transport....;-)

Tertiary Education: Aside from the usual varsity set-ups, are there any vocational colleges? I am qualified to train various business studies here in SA but not sure if there is a similar system in Mauritius that I would need to register with.

Apologies for the long post - so many questions that I still have so as to fully prepare us for the "big move".

Much love and hope to meet many of you soon!

Traci

Hi Traci, I can answer you on the language and internet parts. We've been here for just over 2 months, have almost zero French, and have not had any problems at all communicating in English only. Often in shops etc the person will speak to us in French, we have learned to simply speak English back and they immediately switch. Nobody really seems to mind which language is used so long as communication is possible. Of course if you do speak/understand French too then that would be preferable (newspapers etc are generally in French) but not necessary.

Almost everywhere has fibre optic internet.

Hi Andrew!

Thank you so much for taking the time :-)

That's actually VERY helpful. Where abouts do you stay? As mentioned, we're looking at Black River area but I have never been to Mauritius (other half goes regularly for work) but I am "THAT" person who needs to line up everything in my own head beforehand LOL!

Thanks again, Traci

We're in Moka which is fairly central, mainly here because our daughter's school is here. It's nice but not so near to the sea and around 4C cooler on average than the coast. Really depends on what you want. Perhaps get an airbnb for a while when you arrive and have a look around....

Thanks, Andrew! That is super helpful :-) We're looking at Black River because it will be close to his work

Hi Tracy - we moved to Black River 4 months ago - staying in La Balise - we have an Airbox which is the most cost effective for internet - we also have fibre but I wouldn't recommend it - data is cheap here and you can get 1 month unlimited data with a temp ph no which you top up monthly - it sounds like ur applying for a 10 year working permit - use an agent Candice from BTG was excellent once you have a permit everything is cheaper and you can get a permanent ph no - change your Sa cell ph contracts to the most inexpensive contract for Data & sms for SA banking -bring a spare back- up ph for ur SA sim card & what's up phone calls. We shipped a container 125k but you can get a furnished apartment/ house here and you have six months to ship before paying taxes on goods so I would store in SA before deciding what to ship - I have a very good shipping agent / can do half container - scooter you need to be brave rather buy a cheap runaround car - car hire is quite expensive - lots of expat whatsup groups here where we all help with information - good luck & and contact me if you need more info

Hi Lemmy

Thanks so much for your message! The detail on the internet and phone data is VERY helpful indeed! I'm not sure if it's 10 years or what - I am considering the different options at this point (largely based on the job market).

With regards to shipping - that is a fairly hefty fee! From what I can gather, most places are already furnished so I have no intention of shipping a load of stuff (couches/beds etc) especially as it's just the 2 of us. I'm just not sure about things like fridges and wshing machine? I have a few items that are my "non-negotiables" for moving ;-) My last big international move was about 1/4 container.

Good to know that there is a great network - I currently live in a small farming community and WhatsApp is my complete "go-to" :-)

I'd love to know what the "pains and gains" are from many of you who have recently made the jump, as well <3

Thanks again - I feel like I'm already welcome there!

Traci

Hi tracy good morning am here to help you call on *********

Moderated by Yoginee last year
Reason : For security reasons, do not share phone numbers on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Lemmy1958 Kindly inform what size of home are you renting at La Balise and what the rent is? Someone wants me to buy a small 3 bed apt there but I don't know what rental would be askable?

@traci79 Washing machines and dishwashers are in nearly every house in Mauritius. The power supply is seriously better than SA and the 4G internet is very good, and there are lots of options.

Black River is very pleasant to live in, everything is a stones throw and the whole area is developing quite fast. There is even an excellent Biltong manufacturing shop. You will find most South Africans live in the West and you will get by with English easily.

Car are expensive and Mauritians are not the world's best drivers, so scooters and motorcycles have quite a lot of hazard attached to them. A second hand run around should do fine. The roads are very good indeed, full first world standard if sometimes a bit narrow.

Downside is that houses are very overpriced for foreigners compared to the same house for a local, but you have to live with that.

Coming to MU from mainland Africa is a massive decompress and exhale. Everything works, racism is unheard of, people are very nice and welcoming and it's a happy place. And I say this after only extensive scouting and visits.

Hi Traci, Hope you guys will enjoy the move. Based on my experience so far here in Mauritius:

Language: Not knowing French is not at all a problem, as people do communicate in English as well. Community in general is so accommodative to adapt someone from other countries, so language was never a concern for me so far. I have been living in Mauritius for 7 years now and never had any problem with it. Given that, knowing French (atleast general phrases) could help to socialize bit quickly.

Internet - Fibre optics are available with a very good connectivity. You can easily set up one quickly once you guys move in.

Vehicles - Rentals are relatively expensive than the buying options. Having a car here is lot useful and recommended (personally), especially if you want to go around the island and commute independently. I feel it is important for the life after work, not only for just commuting to work daily. Public transport is really good starting at 06.00 in the morning but getting a connectivity beyond 18.00 hrs in the evening could be difficult. I do use a two wheeler as well for short runs but have not dared for longer distances, as I do not feel it safer, due to over speeding cars, some bad driving and at times bad weather.

Packing: In my view, better to go for a fully furnished house with all options instead of paying a heavy fees for import. Even if you want to purchase all new, prices for say, washing machines or TV or fridges are decent and there are good hire purchase options available on durables with easy payments.