The work culture in Panama

Hello everyone,

As an expatriate, working in Panama can present unique opportunities but also challenges. Discovering new communication styles, adapting to new cultural norms... working in Panama can be both exciting and confusing.

Share your experience to better understand the work culture in Panama and facilitate the professional adaptation of people who are wondering about it.

How would you define the work culture in Panama?

What was the most difficult thing for you when you started working?

What made the biggest impression on you?

How did you fit into your team?

Thank you for your contribution.

Mickael
Expat.com team

I worked as the Manager of the Marketing Department for a Panama law firm for 3 1/2 years, My experience revealed that:

1. Typical jobs for Panamanians total 43 hours per week. Monday - Friday for 8 hours per day and 3 hours on Saturday mornings;
  2. The pay per hour is way below the same job in Canada and the U.S.; and
  3. The Social Security tax and the Education tax taken from wages are pretty high,

**** There are many jobs and business oportunities to develop in Panama.

Just as in the States, you have to put your foot on the ground and show, and demand your own worth.

Para muestra un botón: I went to a job interview for one specific job, they, after I had gotten there, said it was no longer available BUT offered a different job for 800.00 a month! Told them I wasn't interested and negotiations ensued. End of story, I ended up earning 3 X that 800.00 offer AND working Mon to Fri only! So, if you sell yourself cheap in Panama then they will hire all of your knowledge and maybe, worldwide experience, cheap as well

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Members are entitled to their own opinion
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

Please note that members are most welcome to share their personal experience on this thread. Experience will definitely differ from one member ro the other.

That said I have removed some pointless criticism from this thread.

All the best

Bhavna