The work culture in Vietnam

Hello everyone,

As an expatriate, working in Vietnam can present unique opportunities but also challenges. Discovering new communication styles, adapting to new cultural norms... working in Vietnam can be both exciting and confusing.

Share your experience to better understand the work culture in Vietnam and facilitate the professional adaptation of people who are wondering about it.

How would you define the work culture in Vietnam?

What was the most difficult thing for you when you started working?

What made the biggest impression on you?

How did you fit into your team?

Thank you for your contribution.

Mickael
Expat.com team

@Mickael

How would you define the work culture in Vietnam? Thoroughly corrupt.

What was the most difficult thing for you when you started working?  Getting a work permit even though I work pro bona.

What made the biggest impression on you? How incredible corrupt and complicated the buracrazy is in Vietnam.

How did you fit into your team? Easy, no problem at all. The Vietnamese people is forthcoming, friendly and welcomes you.

@Mickael

A positive workplace culture is one that is built on meaningful work, open communication, and core values. And lucky for employers who have one, once an employee is embraced by a strong workplace culture like this, they don't have many reasons to leave.

I give 100% and I expect the same from others. I am very driven to succeed and I always give my all in providing the best work and getting things done well before the deadline.

A person's appearance, clothes, body language, manners, and the way they talk all contribute to first impressions.

Be patient and getting to know others is a process.

Thank you

@Mickael

Based on my experience as an American working as a consultant in the Vietnam hotel and service industry for the last six years, I find that women are advancing their economic independence faster than men. The traditional culture of women staying home to take care of the family, while the men work, is giving way to more women with higher education degrees, English language proficiency, and unique job skills, often resulting in women not only being the main source of income but also women less interested in marrying or having children early in their career.

Besides the obvious language barrier, I come from a country where from a very young age people are encouraged to think independently and to create ways to increase job performance or volunteer new ideas no matter the job title.  In Vietnam, I find staff is very much looking to be “micromanaged,” a term that has very negative connotations in my culture.  For example, when there is a problem at work, employees here will often wait for direction from a boss, even if the solution is very obvious and easily solved on their own.

Not what but who.  Women, often work full time but also maintain the traditions of cooking each meal, taking care of both the kids and the mother-in-law, and overall putting their families ahead of their own self-care. 

Contrary to my experiences working in the Western culture - where having an “alpha” type personality and acting boisterous and confident often gets noticed and results in promotions and accolades, I found that taking a very soft-spoken and humble approach to both work and non-work related situations got more positive results and helped me fit in as a member of my teams.