Renting a long term apartment upon arrival in Spain

Hi Everybody,

I plan to move to Malaga this summer and I intend to rent an apartment for a year or so; and then, to buy one. Initially I will rent a touristic apartment for a month and meanwhile I will search for a one year leasing contract.  I will retire earlier and I will live on my savings until the retirement age. I see that all landlords are asking for "nomina", which obviously, I won't have so soon. Maybe in the future I will find a job, but this is not a priority. I won't have a pension either. Have any of you been in a similar situation? If so, how did you handle it? I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

Zurlita M.

@zurlita

All landlords ask for good tenants with a steady income, as they don't want to have an unemployed deadbeat trashing their pride and joy. :-) But if you're a civilized foreigner with a big stash of savings, you can usually talk them round. But, of course, some might insist on a regular income and references, so you'd be out of luck. Agencies are a lot stickier as they're doing the vetting for the landlord, and if the landlord said 2 references and proof of job/income, that's what they'll demand.

Personally, I stay away from agency listings, and look for stuff posted directly by the landlord. Then I arrange a viewing, and do my "desirable tenant" shtick. :-) Plus, you can always ease their concerns by paying x months in advance.

But it's still a hassle, I find landlords a right pain in the proverbial. I prefer to grab a short-term rental for a couple of months (as they don't care what you do, or what your income is) and focus my energies on viewing prospective properties to buy.

@gwynj Best tip.

@gwynj

Thank  you, Gwynj, for your helpful suggestions and for being one of the most active on the forum.

@zurlita As a relocator I can tell you that the alternative is to offer more months as a deposit. This is the way to guarantee your solvence beyond any evidence of savings.

Thank you, Angelica! Definitely, this is a good idea.

gwynj

"Personally, I stay away from agency listings, and look for stuff posted directly by the landlord."

Do you know of a specific place i.e. website or publication that is commonly used by landlords to post their rentals?