Will The Coast at Hoi An Recover?

We took a nice ride on our new eBikes yesterday; from Cẩm Thanh to the Cửa Đại lighthouse and then to and through the Cẩm An/An Bàng Beach area.

It was VERY encouraging to see central Cửa Đại Beach looking good again.

However, it's difficult not to be a bit discouraged at the many nearby seaside resorts still vacant/shut and looking shabby.

Of course, the same is true in Dà Nẵng (Holiday Beach Resort being a prime example) & Nha Trang, though not so much in Quy Nhơn, which is not nearly as dependent on foreign tourist traffic as the other places.

I remember the greater Dà Nẵng area from 1972, when there were no "resorts" except perhaps for the R&R Center at Mỹ Khê Beach.

I recall sitting on a hillside--not too far from Bà Nà Hills--and looking out over Sơn Trà peninsula and the East Việt Nam Sea, predicting that in 20 years there would be a Howard Johnson's resort hotel there somewhere.

So when I returned to Dà Nẵng and visited Hội An in 2018, it was somewhat satisfying to see my prediction come true, though I haven't been a big fan of all developments.

It's interesting now to have seen both the rise of seaside resorts and then their decline as a result of storm damage and Covid.

Hopefully there is a good future in store for all involved, but perhaps some seaside resorts should have never been developed at Cửa Đại in the first place.

Left to their own devices, I don't think that Vietnamese people would build there in those ways simply for domestic tourists.

Just a little ways down the coast at Tam Thanh by Tam Kỳ, there's a beautiful shoreline that Vietnamese love to visit and most foreigners don't know about.

Talking with locals there about why the ocean side of that strip of land has not really been developed, they tell you it's because they don't think anybody is crazy enough to want to live there through the winters.

Sure enough, a British friend of mine who has a B&B of sorts on the ocean side there just reported that the extensive and supposedly indestructible seawall/promenade has begun to crumble during the most recent episode of storm surf last week.

The typhoon we survived in Dà Nẵng last September left marks on the seawall there as well, even though the beach width is much greater there.

Meanwhile, it's great to live close enough to the shore to get there in less than 10 minutes, but far enough away that I can avoid the next major storm creaming the area.

Cheers! 😎👍

No photos?  1f60e.svg

OceanBeach92107,

I grew up in Danang and left the country late 1979 (born 1972).  I still remember my mom taking us to My Khe beach (I think that is what its called).  We had to take a ferry boat out to that beach.  I visited Danang in 1998 and recently January of 2023.  Things have changed.  It is very nice there now.

Looking forward to moving there one day and live.

svho

OceanBeach92107,
I grew up in Danang and left the country late 1979 (born 1972). I still remember my mom taking us to My Khe beach (I think that is what its called). We had to take a ferry boat out to that beach. I visited Danang in 1998 and recently January of 2023. Things have changed. It is very nice there now.

Looking forward to moving there one day and live.

svho
-@Svho

Yes, "Bãi biển Mỹ Khê" is the Vietnamese name for the beach.

Foreigners used to call it "China Beach" largely because foreigners also call the body of water there the South China Sea.

Vietnamese people refer to that as the East Sea or the East Vietnam Sea, so the term China Beach was at best incorrect to them and at worst, somewhat offensive.

We didn't have to take a ferry to get there from our base that was just below Ba Na Hills in 1972, so I'm guessing that at least one of the bridges around the city was open at that time, although perhaps access was limited.

I grew up in San Diego where it was a great experience to ride the ferry boats from the wharf across the bay to Coronado Island.

I think it's absolutely amazing that you survived your childhood there, seeing as how you would have been about 3 years old when the city "changed hands" so to speak. 

We do our best to avoid getting deeply into war stories here, but I would be curious as to whether your family remained in the city in 1975 or if you relocated elsewhere in Vietnam during your childhood?

Next time you come through the area I would enjoy meeting you for coffee.

Since you are about 51 years old now, are you already preparing for imminent retirement or will that be a number of years away?