Poor news outlets

Good day,

We moved to Mauritius since October 2021 and we are settling in quite well.

One thing I do wonder about is why there is no media coverage on crime. Before moving to Mauritius we checked about the safety here, as we have three young children.

Mauritius is advertised to be safe, with low crime.

Since we moved here we have experienced that in our social circle there have been two burglaries, some attempted burglaries and a home invasion and assault with a deadly weapon! No media coverage on this...why is this?? To keep it quiet??

I think that if there's some media coverage on this, also the people will be more aware and careful and maybe criminals will get caught sooner...

Cheers!

@Tefneth

There are lots of media outlets. Be aware that most news media outlets are in French which I detest. If you do a search on Google will will get them all. Here is a list for you:

Mauritius newspapers, news sites and magazines

L'Express. French-language newspaper published in Port Louis. ...

Le Mauricien. One of the top selling Mauritian newspapers in French-language. ...

5-Plus Dimanche. Weekly French-language newspaper.

Le Défi Media. ...

Republic of Mauritius - News.

Maurice Info.

‎Mo Pays.

Sunday Times.

@Tefneth Most news are in Creole or French. Petty crime and more serious crime is covered. Afterall, the media, even in Mauritius, earn their money by selling you fear. Just need to consult the Facebook pages of newspapers mentioned in this post. It is automatically translated into English. That's the best way as opposed to website.