The cost of Living in Bahrain in 2023

Hello everyone,

As every year, we invite you to share your experience on the evolution of the cost of living in the region or city where you live in order to answer future requests for information from new members of the site who would like to move there soon in Bahrain.

In terms of accommodation, how much does it cost to rent/buy a flat or house in in Bahrain?
How much do you pay on average for public transport (bus, metro, train, tram, taxi)?
What is the average price of your monthly food basket?

How much does health insurance cost? How much does it cost to see a doctor in Bahrain?

What about school fees for your children?

What is the average monthly cost of electricity, gas, water, internet, telephone?

What is the average cost of your leisure activities?

If there are other expenses that you think are useful, please share them!

Thank you in advance for your future contribution.

Mickael
Expat.com Team

I have been in Bahrain 10 years. When I first arrived, the government subsidized many things, such as gas, medical, electric. I could fill my gas once a week for a Mitsubishi Lancer for about $5. My company did (and still does) pay rent and vehicle fees, as well as my health insurance, but I have still observed the changes over the years.

The government stopped subsidizing everything about 5 years ago. Gas prices jumped a little but still a bargain at about $2 a gallon (unchanged during the past 5 years.) electric costs have jumped as much as 40%. Medical costs have risen as well but still cheaper than in the USA.

Food prices have skyrocketed over the past couple of years of the Pandemic. I find myself paying twice as much at checkout than before. For only myself, i pay over $100 a week at the market and maybe that same amount for on-line food orders a week.

Another additional expense is the VAT. The government claimed a few years ahi that the coffers were empty and that subsidies would be discontinued and a VAT implemented at 15%. This year, BAT has gone up to 20%. 

Housing is expensive. A run-down studio flat will cost around $930 per month. Likely this includes roaches, frequently malfunctioning air conditioners and other appliances. You will have an electric allowance of $80 for electric, but you will quadruple that amount during the hot summer months.  Better flats will cost $1600 per month for modest 2 bedroom flat with the same allowance for electric. There is really no limit to high end prices and accommodation. Your pocketbook will decide for you. I was in a nice villa for a while at $3,723 a month wile the $80 electric allowance. During the summer months, I was hit with an electric bill for $1196 over the allowance. I vacated as soon as my lease was up. Just too expensive. Also, there are many new construction housing. The rooms are significantly shrinking but most appliances and furniture are new. Older (10+ years) buildings have a lot more living space but also come with the challenges of everything aging and needs frequent maintenance.

I have enjoyed living here. My company pays most of the housing and transportation (car lease) expenses. Not sure I would afford to live here if I were not a contractor.

Safety and affection are priceless

Expensive spreads in all countries of the world

I am from Kuwait, but I spend most of my days in Bahrain to pursue my work here

Yes, it is true that electricity bills have gone up vertically

Some government fees also changed, but not much

The fabricated epidemics that are spreading in the world have transformed the medical field into profitable institutions

The maintenance requirements of modern cars are generally expensive

Food, clothing and entertainment remain unchanged

We come to the residence, all residential rents have decreased, I work in this field, and I had to reduce the value of the rents in the buildings that I own after the electricity bills of the tenants increased

Some private school fees also increased slightly

Be well and I wish everyone happiness

Closed