The cost of Living in Belgium in 2023

Hello everyone,

As every year, we invite you to share your experience on the evolution of the cost of living in the region or city where you live in order to answer future requests for information from new members of the site who would like to move there soon in Belgium.

In terms of accommodation, how much does it cost to rent/buy a flat or house in in Belgium?
How much do you pay on average for public transport (bus, metro, train, tram, taxi)?
What is the average price of your monthly food basket?

How much does health insurance cost? How much does it cost to see a doctor in Belgium?

What about school fees for your children?

What is the average monthly cost of electricity, gas, water, internet, telephone?

What is the average cost of your leisure activities?

If there are other expenses that you think are useful, please share them!

Thank you in advance for your future contribution

Mickael
Expat.com Team

Hi,

I have been living in Belgium and working for a company in Netherlands for past 6 years(Lived in Leuven and Antwerp). Since this is about cost of living I will explain how the costs have been when I initially came here and now.

The first and significant of expenses is the rent, It has increased by a average of 6% every year(The greatest being the last year). and prices of apartments and hoses has been increasing much, much more than that percentage(I would say it is about more than 50% from six years ago and now) not sure if it would be coming down like it is happening in other countries, like USA and UK. the second most expensive is the food and groceries for a family of three it was costing about 3-4 hundred and it is now double that and about 600-800 per month(inclusive of ordering online once or twice a week). the price of going to movies has only increased by a small margin. transportation cost has increased a bit more than that, not sure exactly as I always drive. The energy expenses has the highest percentage increase of all and it is the leading domino that caused the increase of most of the others. I was paying 60 Euros untill 2022 beginning and now paying 160 euros per month.  and the price of gas increased much more than that(I don't use gas anyhow). The school is basically free here except we have to pay a minor charge for the afternoon charges they say?, which is quite less and hasn't changed. Water and internet has increased by a small margin. I would like to hear more of your experiences with cost of living in Belgium.

Closed