Mental health support services in Morocco

Hi all,

In desperate need of some urgent advice. A friend of mine lives in Morocco with her two young girls - a Tunisian expat and fluent English speaker who has lived internationally around the world for years. She is experiencing severe mental health problems - along the line of bipolar type 1. The symptoms are very severe and I am concerned that she needs urgent care - she is currently i medicated.

The problem is this: she has been to a few psychiatrists in Agadir (where she lives) but none seem capable of giving her the advice + support she needs. She is in need of a proper assessment and formal diagnosis to then get correct medication. I am hoping someone on here could kindly recommend any support services/psychological assessment to ascertain what medication is needed. Does anyone know of treatment centres in the country?

Please help!

Best regards,

Anna

Hello Anna V Knowles,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f642.svg

Your thread is now on the Agadir forum.

I am very sorry for your friend. I can imagine how hard it is for you to see all these from afar.

I hope you are going to get the name of some mental health support services or associations here in order to be able to help your friend.

Does she live alone with her daughters? Do you by chance know someone reliable that also stays in Agadir?

If you are comfortable with French, I would also advise you to post your message on the french speaking forum here > https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=4519

It is quit active there.

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

There are plenty of competent psychiatrists in Morocco, especially in main cities such as Casablanca and the like. A quick google search/review would do the job.

Do not forget also that treatment can be in other ways than medicine or doctors.

Because in some special cases, the patient may need simple things in his life and in his psyche, but he is unaware of them and runs and searches for the best doctors.

I wish your friend a speedy recovery