Midnight run

Hello all, just got a quick question about Vietnam specifically HCMC. so last year I lived in HCMC for 3 months while looking for a job, but due to unfortunate circumstances back home I had to leave suddenly. I'm thinking of going back in the next few months, however there's one small possible issue. I skipped out on the last month's rent payment - because I had to leave in a hurry - and I figured my deposit, which was 2m more than the rent, would be more than enough to cover it. However once I got home and switched my phone back off flight mode, I had a stream of seemingly angry messages from the landlord about paying the rent - i refused and explained he had the deposit and extra for his troubles, then deleted Zalo and forgot all about it. I'd paid the previous two months on time and in cash, and I was by no means a "problem tenant" (I kept to myself, was friendly with the staff etc). Problem is, I've now got a job offer for Vietnam in the same city starting in a few months time. My question is, is the rent issue likely to be a problem at immigration? Or with the police especially if I have to do a police check at some point? The landlord did have a copy of my passport as is standard for expat rentals, so I'm kind of worried - will he have forwarded this to the police or border staff? Am I just being anxious and overthinking it?. If it is an issue, how do I deal with it, what's likely to be the outcome or solution?

Hello all, just got a quick question about Vietnam specifically HCMC. so last year I lived in HCMC for 3 months while looking for a job, but due to unfortunate circumstances back home I had to leave suddenly. I'm thinking of going back in the next few months, however there's one small possible issue. I skipped out on the last month's rent payment - because I had to leave in a hurry - and I figured my deposit, which was 2m more than the rent, would be more than enough to cover it. However once I got home and switched my phone back off flight mode, I had a stream of seemingly angry messages from the landlord about paying the rent - i refused and explained he had the deposit and extra for his troubles, then deleted Zalo and forgot all about it. I'd paid the previous two months on time and in cash, and I was by no means a "problem tenant" (I kept to myself, was friendly with the staff etc). Problem is, I've now got a job offer for Vietnam in the same city starting in a few months time. My question is, is the rent issue likely to be a problem at immigration? Or with the police especially if I have to do a police check at some point? The landlord did have a copy of my passport as is standard for expat rentals, so I'm kind of worried - will he have forwarded this to the police or border staff? Am I just being anxious and overthinking it?. If it is an issue, how do I deal with it, what's likely to be the outcome or solution?
-@TeflT23

it's possible you will be arrested when you attempt to enter the country.

@OceanBeach92107 well that's not what I wanted to hear but I suppose it's better to know now than at baggage reclaim. Would they really arrest me over something like that, especially when my deposit more than covered the cost? If that was to happen, what would I do? Just pay the couple of million and be on my way or is it likely to be more serious than that?

It could depend on how pissed off the Landlord really was and how far he wanted to take it.

@SimCityAT how far could he take it? Like what's the worst case scenario here? I don't think it'll be that bad - I left him my deposit after all, which was more than the rent, but I'm a natural worrier when it comes to this stuff. Being arrested in a developing country isn't high on my list of priorities. Is that a likely outcome?

It could depend on how pissed off the Landlord really was and how far he wanted to take it.
-@SimCityAT

...and how connected the landlord is with The Party.

Personally I think you could have handled it way better, you engineered your troubles. Delete Zalo with an angry landlord on the other side? Come on. I'm sure with some talks it could have been handled nicely, maybe just a small bonus to the landlord to buy the peace.

He was probably more upset at the *way* you left than the fact that he was "stuck" with an empty apartment.

I don't have a suggestion for your current problems because who knows really. Personally, I'd still come and face whatever I need to face, and still try to find the landlord and settle things straight, and next time handle things better. There's a limit to what the Vietnamese police can do to you for such a "small" amount if you've got the English embasse on your side. That's my take anyway.

Can't you try to reinstall Zalo and find his contact again and try to fix things *before* you come back?

It's best to remain within the law in SE Asia, you could have behaved better.

Personally I think you could have handled it way better, you engineered your troubles. Delete Zalo with an angry landlord on the other side? Come on. I'm sure with some talks it could have been handled nicely, maybe just a small bonus to the landlord to buy the peace.
He was probably more upset at the *way* you left than the fact that he was "stuck" with an empty apartment.

I don't have a suggestion for your current problems because who knows really. Personally, I'd still come and face whatever I need to face, and still try to find the landlord and settle things straight, and next time handle things better. There's a limit to what the Vietnamese police can do to you for such a "small" amount if you've got the English embasse on your side. That's my take anyway.

Can't you try to reinstall Zalo and find his contact again and try to fix things *before* you come back?
-@WillyBaldy

Yes,

Reasonable minds prevail.

WillyBaldy and others have said, make amends with you landlord, your assumptions preclude understandings and as part of life.

More than a few time I have seen on this forum, folks with less than reasonable considerations.

Seems to me, I could be wrong, the way you left the landlord in a lurch, was abusive in that your reply seems to be "So, I left you with plenty of money to cover whatever" Those are my words, not yours but what you did was very, very disrespectful.

MAc

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it - especially as it's clear I went about things the wrong way and it seems like I disrespected local customs, which was never my intention, I had to leave Vietnam to rush home for a family medical emergency and that was my priority at the time, I didn't think too much about the implications for the landlord. I apologise if my initial post came off as abrasive or dismissive. As per your advice (WillyBaldy and Mac68) I've tried to reinstall Zalo to try and make amends, but can't get to the login as I don't have my old vietnamese phone number any more - so no dice on that front. The apartment complex doesn't have a website - or even a marker on Google maps - so I've been unsuccessful with finding the landlord so far. No social media presence or email address I could find either - looks like I'm SOOL on the making amends front! Thanks again for the help guys

@TeflT23 you could find your way back there and see him face to face. Offer to pay the amount. Shake hands. Wish the person a happy Tet.