USA or NL?

Hello, my SO and I are trying to decide which country is best for us long term.  Neither of us has lived in the other's country, so we each only have first hand experience with our own.  I think this makes it very challenging for us to form opinions without bias. 

I am looking for some helpful individuals who have experienced long-term living in both countries to help us figure out what is the best decision for us.  What made you decide to move to the Netherlands?  What resources did you use to help you decide?  What reasons make you happy about this choice and what are the things that make it hardest?

Thank you for your time

Hello ceejbear,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Thank you for asking your questions here.

You can read our recently updated guide to life in the Netherlands for expats.

I would suggest you also open a thread on the USA forum as well to get feedback from both sides.

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Having discovered what SO means, I'll try and answer your question.

Most Expats chose the Netherlands either because they have a job offer, or a close family member living there, or they've been told a story about the streets being paved with gold. Then there are the people who go to Holland as a tourist and fall in love with the town, bar, and people and want to live there. I moved there because I married a Dutch lady, and after a few years, we then moved on to the UK - it is a nice place, but it's not the paradise some are led to believe.

Whatever, there are rules and regulations about how you do it; as US citizens you will need a residence permit if you want to live and work in the Netherlands; the Dutch Government (IND) website has details of all the different permits that are available, this link will take you straight to the main page.

Probably the most important piece of advice I can offer is to learn to speak Dutch and make sure that any qualifications you may have (especially if you work in a regulatory field (any medical profession, engineer, architect etc), are accepted and valid in the EU.  Most regulatory roles require native-level local language skills.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team