Finding local health centre

If you do not know which health centre is in your area of residence, call the SNS 24 Contact Centre - (+351) 808 24 24 24. If you are living in another county for school, work or other reasons, and you need health care, you can temporarily register in another health center for up to 12 months.

I wanted the name of my local health centre which on the Portuguese government site it said I could ring the SNS on 808 24 24 24.  It said to press 9 if I wanted to speak in English. I pressed 9.

Then the only two options were Press 1 for psychological issues and 2 for other health issues.  I pressed 2 and got a gentleman who said he did not speak English very well and told me to try again and press 9.

Same result.

This time I said to him I only wanted the name of my local health centre.  He said you need to speak to someone in English and to try again and press 9.

I got nowhere.

Is there a website where I can put in my postcode and find a health centre that I should go to?

To find out the address, phone numbers, email of your local health center, you can access to :

https://www.sns.gov.pt/sns/pesquisa-prestadores/

Eg. if you live in Tomar, you should choose "Distrito" = Santarém, "Concelho" = Tomar.

You should then choose button "Cuidados de Saúde Primários" and "Tipo" combo box = Unidade de saúde familiar or Centro de Saúde.

Then press "pesquisar". From the list given at the bottom, choose the "Unidade de Saúde Familiar" or "Centro de Saúde", or "Unidade de cuidados de saúde", .... (well, this local health unit name depends on the city, it varies from city to city), .... closest to you.

Well, I have realised that this site is not very user friendly, indeed....

In you case, I think it will be this one:

Centro de Saúde Tomar

Rua da Nabância, n.º 14 - 1.º, Tomar

Phone 249329174

[email protected]

Where do you live? Perhaps we can help? Thank you

Better help than I have given is impossible. If you want to advertise your business, use the ads section in the forum .......... not here, please...

Sorry but I am not advertising. We have clients in many parts of the country who use doctors. I was only thinking to put one town to a possible doctor we might know. Thank you

Ok, but the issue here is about the access to national health service (local health centers), not with private doctors... ;)

@JohnnyPT thanks Johnny. I was going round in circles and getting nowhere. Still better than France where nobody knows anything and passes you from one person to the next. Horrendous. And not a sliver of English spoken.