English teacher/assistant (non-native speaker, without a degree)

Hello everyone!

So I was just wondering if there even is a way in 2022/23 for a guy from Slovenia (Europe) to teach English in Vietnam without a degree?

I'm 25 years old, spent my last 3 and a half years in the army, 2 of those in special forces (just wanted to mention it in case it matters in any way).

In 2018 I volunteered as an English teacher in Slovenia, and also from about that time, I've got a Cambridge English Level 1 Certificate in ESOL International.

I finished a TEFL 120hour course last month and that's basically what I've got.

Does anyone know if I can even get a work permit, and work in a private school with what I have?

I'm planning to travel to Vietnam around January 2023, and if nothing else, I'll just be on vacation =)

Thank you in advance =)

There was a Slovenian citizen in my school who was both fluent in English and a good teacher.   However he had a degree.

I think you may be able to find work with your skills but you would not be able to get a Work Permit or the ensuing Temporary Residence Card.   In the past, many worked without a WP but with the current 30 day visa routine, it may not be practical.

BTW I am curious about how Slovenians feel about Croatia's success so far in the World Cup.  26f9.svg26bd.svg

Well that's a bummer... So if I understand you correctly, I need to have a degree for any type of work in Vietnam regardless of its type in order to get a Work permit?

Yeah my friend was an English teacher in Vietnam as well, but that was 4 years ago... And back then you didn't need a degree to teach, maybe we are talking about the same dude?

Yeah we are rooting for Croatia! (well most of us Slovenians). They got really far and I definitely wish them luck. I'm currently watching the game between Croatia and Argentina... It's not looking too hot for them right now =/

But you are probably asking that because Croatian and Slovenian older generations don't really get along so well? haha

Since you mentioned teaching English, my WP comments were based on that.  It is  possible to obtain work permits based on years of documented experience (supervising an offshore oil rig comes to mind) but generally that would not apply for teachers.

I am glad to hear that Croatia and Slovenia are patching things up, at least for the younger generations.   I expect it might take a little longer to excuse the Serbs.   I am recording Croatia/Argentina right now and will watch when I get home so I am avoiding websites that might give me the score.

Hello everyone!
So I was just wondering if there even is a way in 2022/23 for a guy from Slovenia (Europe) to teach English in Vietnam without a degree?

I'm 25 years old, spent my last 3 and a half years in the army, 2 of those in special forces (just wanted to mention it in case it matters in any way).

In 2018 I volunteered as an English teacher in Slovenia, and also from about that time, I've got a Cambridge English Level 1 Certificate in ESOL International.

I finished a TEFL 120hour course last month and that's basically what I've got.

Does anyone know if I can even get a work permit, and work in a private school with what I have?
I'm planning to travel to Vietnam around January 2023, and if nothing else, I'll just be on vacation smile.png

Thank you in advance smile.png
-@Mad_Lad

As THIGV has mentioned, unless you can make it through the complicated and expensive process of proving sufficient experience to the satisfaction of the government, you won't be able to secure permission to live & work in Vietnam.

Some old but relevant discussion on the subject in this recently resurrected thread (link)

Good luck!

@THIGV @THIGV Thank you very much for your replies and your time. Maybe I'll check if I can get any ''military related'' jobs then. I kind off regret that I joined the Army as I could spend that time working on a degree (Still I did enjoy my time in the army, especially as SF :) )... Truly, years ago I felt like not having a degree will bite me in the a*s one day haha And here we are! :)

Yeah the younger generations, we are getting along just fine. Of course there are always going to be jokes made towards each other, but we like it that way. The Balkans are heated since Yugoslavia to be honest, however I believe that after a couple generations pass, everyone might start liking each other... -ish xD

[inappropriate content]

To be honest I just quit the Army recently, as I want to travel the world while I'm single and young. I plan to re-enlist in 2-3 years or so. I know I'm competent in teaching and I would enjoy doing it. However I won't be able to travel far or for a long time if I won't do some work in between and teaching would be just perfect. So this forum here is my desperate call for help at this point, as most countries require a degree now days.

Anyway thank you for your help again!

Hope you enjoy watching the game!

As THIGV has mentioned, unless you can make it through the complicated and expensive process of proving sufficient experience to the satisfaction of the government, you won't be able to secure permission to live & work in Vietnam.Some old but relevant discussion on the subject in this recently resurrected thread (link)Good luck! -@OceanBeach92107Thank you for your reply! I read the forum that you have linked and I have to say, it does not look promising for me hahaI guess that my only option is to go to a University.I checked your profile and I've seen that you travelled a lot. I just want to recommend Slovenia for you to visit, I think you might like it =)

As THIGV has mentioned, unless you can make it through the complicated and expensive process of proving sufficient experience to the satisfaction of the government, you won't be able to secure permission to live & work in Vietnam.

Some old but relevant discussion on the subject in [link under review]

Good luck!
-@OceanBeach92107

Thank you for your reply! I read the forum that you have linked and I have to say, it does not look promising for me haha
I guess that my only option is to go to a University.

I checked your profile and I've seen that you travelled a lot. I just want to recommend Slovenia for you to visit, I think you might like it smile.png
-@Mad_Lad

Hi welcome to the forum,

Thank you for your service.

That area brings back nice memories, I had the pleasure of visiting Poreč, Zagreb & Lake Bled area back in the 80's when it was Yugoslavia before the war, beautiful scenery and nice people, didn't get to visit again sadly.

Nice to hear things are changing, best of luck when you visit.

There is an absolute dearth of English teachers in VN at this time.

I wrote this a little over 4 years ago. Was I wrong?

@AndyHCMC Thank you! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time here in the Balkans! You should definitely visit both Slovenia and Croatia again, a lot has changed since the 80's haha :)

@AndyHCMC Thank you! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time here in the Balkans! You should definitely visit both Slovenia and Croatia again, a lot has changed since the 80's haha smile.png
-@Mad_Lad

Yep the hotel we stayed at got bombed :( (not when we were there - years later)

There is an absolute dearth of English teachers in VN at this time. I wrote this a little over 4 years ago. Was I wrong? -@Aidan in HCMC@Aidan in HCMC I mean the thing is, I personally wouldn't want to risk anything when it comes to Vietnamese law. You said ''whether the employer hires you legally or not would be, I believe, the employers concern''. Even if it is the employers responsibility on how they hire you, I feel like at the end, it's still your responsibility. I wouldn't want to get a criminal record or anything that would F up my feature possibilities to get a job.Since there is a dearth of English teachers, VN could drop the whole degree thing, maybe at least for English teacher assistants or something... But that's just my wishful thinking

@AndyHCMC Thank you! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time here in the Balkans! You should definitely visit both Slovenia and Croatia again, a lot has changed since the 80's haha smile.png
-@Mad_Lad
Yep the hotel we stayed at got bombed sad.png (not when we were there - years later)
-@AndyHCMC

@AndyHCMC I believe that, a lot of buildings were bombed or just destroyed in the process of the war. My grandpa tells me his war stories from time to time (he rarely does) and I have to say ''brutal'' doesn't get close to what happened back then.

But today you can visit the Balkans without a single worry in your mind :) Just not Serbia maybe, because of the whole Kosovo deal...

@Aidan in HCMC I mean the thing is, I personally wouldn't want to risk anything when it comes to Vietnamese law. You said ''whether the employer hires you legally or not would be, I believe, the employers concern''. Even if it is the employers responsibility on how they hire you, I feel like at the end, it's still your responsibility. I wouldn't want to get a criminal record or anything that would F up my feature possibilities to get a job.

Good point(s), and admirable outlook. I guess that means we can cross you off the potential test-case court roster? :)

And yes, though I highly doubt that you would receive any criminal record, a simple flick of the keyboard could see a person black-listed from entering VN, whether for being in violation of VN law or not.

I would be extremely curious to hear from a VN lawyer on this. As I understand it, the onus rests squarely on the employer to comply.

Since there is a dearth of English teachers, VN could drop the whole degree thing, maybe at least for English teacher assistants or something... But that's just my wishful thinking
-@Mad_Lad

That's a whole other issue.

@OceanBeach92107Thank you for your reply! ... I checked your profile and I've seen that you travelled a lot. I just want to recommend Slovenia for you to visit, I think you might like it smile.png
-@Mad_Lad

Thank you Mad_Lad.

The last time I lived (was stationed) in Europe, Yugoslavia was inaccessible to members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

I would definitely like to do a pilgrimage to Novo Mesto.

@OceanBeach92107Thank you for your reply! ... I checked your profile and I've seen that you travelled a lot. I just want to recommend Slovenia for you to visit, I think you might like it smile.png
-@Mad_Lad

Thank you Mad_Lad.

The last time I lived (was stationed) in Europe, Yugoslavia was inaccessible to members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

I would definitely like to do a pilgrimage to Novo Mesto.
-@OceanBeach92107

Yes, I had to get approval from UK MOD before I went and any paperwork could not say serving member, job was listed as electrician, 1st time inflation was rising second time it had gone up 4x as much.

-@Aidan in HCMC

What incentives currently exist that might encourage foreign teachers to seek employment in VN?

Any?

-@Aidan in HCMC

What incentives currently exist that might encourage foreign teachers to seek employment in VN?

Any?
-@johnross23

The incentives to encourage teachers with a degree to come here could be available if employers were willing to give them:

Free flight

Free visa

Free work permit

Free TRC

Assorted other freebies often offered to other people being recruited for employment here.

Unfortunately, as has been expressed in various ways in the forum, many (most?) Vietnamese employers don't truly value the expertise of their teachers, thus being willing to hire people who have little or no actual expertise BUT technically qualify for teaching positions.

So it seems (to me) that fully qualifed teachers--having investigated opportunities and seen myriad red flags--are not inspired to take the risk by paying their own ticket to paradise for a risky audition.

In my opinion.

Hi Everyone,

Since this post included a friendly invitation to visit the OP's country and some background info, could we please not slip into any politics or ill will of 30 years ago that may still exist.

Thank you

Hi Everyone,
Since this post included a friendly invitation to visit the OP's country and some background info, could we please not slip into any politics or ill will of 30 years ago that may still exist.

Thank you
-@AndyHCMC

Unfortunately, a certain someone can't resist going off-topic and asking provocative questions, so we eventually (again and again and again) get to the point where a voice of reason* is necessary.

*(reason being, the Code of Conduct) 😉

The guy just went from asking interesting question to projecting own sterotypes about other nations and the moderator issued warning :-)

The guy just went from asking interesting question to projecting own sterotypes about other nations and the moderator issued warning :-)
-@narcrepellant2525

Actually, a **** went totally off topic asking about international relations between two countries, neither of which is Vietnam.

Anyone who thinks he didn't know his question was provocative is turning a blind eye to his long history of similar behavior in this forum.

Please keep it civil one name calling leads to,,, well you know the rest

Moderated by AndyHCMC last year
Reason : because it's Christmas?
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

We are here to help each other with good advices and tips how to enjoy our time in Vietnam, not to have useless and futile discussions. I am grateful to ya more experienced dudes living here, trying too himself to contribute to positive vibe here with my observations and experiences, last thing we need is to get triggered by some shitty memories of the past.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you
-@AndyHCMC

I apologise for any inappropriate comments that I may have made. It was not my intention to provoke anyone.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you
-@AndyHCMC
I apologise for any inappropriate comments that I may have made. It was not my intention to provoke anyone.
-@Mad_Lad

Accepted :D Wasnt nothing for you to apologise for.

But we must keep on track and not go off-topic

@Mad_Lad

Mad_Lad, have you decided where you will be visiting in VN, come January?

Have you visited before?