Getting into the Portuguese Health system

I am 70 and retired living on a foreign pension.

I have all the required documents to apply to join the Portuguese health system except a Social Security number which I believe you only get if you are working in Portugal.

Is that correct?

So Passport, CRUE, NIF.  Anything else?

I am also retired and I did not need a NISS in order to get a Numero de Utente for healthcare, I only needed my passport, residence permit (Certificado de Registo) and the NIF.

I eventually got a NISS when I asked for the NISS for our minor daughters, but I have not used it so far other than for their school registration, and I haven't asked for nor have received any benefits from the Portuguese state.

In regards to the social security number given that you are retired you are entitled to social security but you apply for it through a form called S1 you have to go to the social security in your area tell them that you need the forms to apply for a social security number then you have to go to this website [email protected] also the telephone number is +44(0)1912181999

we went through this when my husband turned 66 he's 67 now it took me a long time on the web to find this address that was the hardest part of it, filling in the forms was easy.

after you have done all the paperwork you will then receive through the post an S1 form from the uk you take that to the social security you then get issued with a social security number it takes a few weeks to come through the post over here.

when you start this process just be patient because it is worth doing hope all that helps.

oh you don't have to be working to get a social security number we have been retired for 5yrs.

Jean

@ctomac Many thanks.  That's what I thought was the case.  Having a medical tomorrow for my Portuguese driving licence so will see if I can get it at the clinic.  Here's hoping anyway.

@Jean Denise Many thanks.  What is the advantage of having a Social Security number?  I won't be relying on SS here in Portugal at all.

In regards to the social security number given that you are retired you are entitled to social security but you apply for it through a form called S1 you have to go to the social security in your area tell them that you need the forms to apply for a social security number then you have to go to this website [email protected] also the telephone number is +44(0)1912181999
we went through this when my husband turned 66 he's 67 now it took me a long time on the web to find this address that was the hardest part of it, filling in the forms was easy.
after you have done all the paperwork you will then receive through the post an S1 form from the uk you take that to the social security you then get issued with a social security number it takes a few weeks to come through the post over here.
when you start this process just be patient because it is worth doing hope all that helps.
oh you don't have to be working to get a social security number we have been retired for 5yrs.
Jean
-@Jean Denise

gra2513 is Irish so giving a UK telephone number will be of no use.

@Jean Denise Many thanks. What is the advantage of having a Social Security number? I won't be relying on SS here in Portugal at all.
-@gra2513

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/w … dex_en.htm

Hi gra2513

the advantages of having a social security number & the S1 form for state pension age (66) UK citizens living abroad is if you had to have an operation then the bill goes to the UK NHS & they pay the bill the Portuguese don't also if you were visiting the UK & needed the NHS services as in surgery then on showing your S1 form on admittance then that bill gets paid in the UK & not Portugal.

yes it's a bit like the EHIC/GHIC card but the S1 does not expire until you die.

its also something that as a UK citizen you are entitled to so why not get it.

we don't rely on the SS over here but it was them that told us about the S1 form so we looked into it found that once my husband hit state pension age we could apply for the S1 which we did & got it.

jean

@gra2513 as Ctomac pointed out i can confirm that you can get your numero utente without a NISS. I did it without any problems.

but i strongly suggest you get private health insurance in addition to the almost free Portuguese healthcare. If you have an emergency or serious issue

it is VERY IMPORTANT.

Thanks for the info on the S1 form,  However, my pension comes from Australia as I am Irish/Australian.  All residents over 65 are entitled to free healthcare in Portugal.  I also have private health insurance with Medis for older residents and also an insurance that my electricity company EDP offers for €14.90 a month.  I have access to a doctor 24 hrs a day if needed and it even includes home visits for just €25  There are lots of other benefits as well.  So I think I have the health side of things covered.

So I think I have the health side of things covered.
-@gra2513

I don't know whether you subscribed to a health plan or whether you have health insurance. The problem here in Portugal (as in many other countries) seems to be getting access to the system other than through A&E, which requires getting through the triage. Don't misunderstand me. There is nothing that cannot be solved with money (which might even make a health insurance obsolete), but I wonder what coverage a e.g. 50 EUR per month health package will provide.