Clarification on temporary residency permit please.

Hi,

Can i just check as I can not seem to get a correct answer online.

So we purchase a house in montenegro, once the sale is completed then apply for the temporary residency permit correct?

My questions is, can we still remain in the country once the application for the permit has been given in? (even if this goes over our 90 days visa free )

Or do we have to leave the country for another 90 days and then return on the residency permit.

Many thanks,

Stephanie Goodrum.

Hi,if you have all the correct paperwork  and it is in order you should have your temporary residency around 3 weeks of submitting it.

It is important that you have an up-to-date owners list document with your name on the owners list of the property.

@Stephanie Goodrum

Hi Stephanie, I had the same question back in July and got told once I had submitted my application, I could stay in the country for as long as the process took, while waiting for the decision. Eventually, it all worked out well and I did get the residence permit within my 90 day stay as a tourist, about 3 weeks after submitting my application, like kumbor said.

This is helpful.  I am an American who will be traveling to Montenegro to find a place too.  Since the two of you have been so successful, my questions:   Where did you buy?  Can you recommend a good real estate agent and other professionals I need to connect with?   I do speak the language, but it is rusty so an English speaker too would be great.   I cannot wait to get some feedback.

Thanks

Putting this here: there is a requirement that you have 3650 euros on deposit in a Montenegrin bank, in order to get residency. But now (as of earlier this year) all the banks have stopped opening accounts for foreigners who don't have residency. This is a catch 22 that nobody seems to know how to resolve, although the banks and lawyers are aware of it. Just be aware that this might complicate things for you. People might say "Oh I had no trouble with such-and-such a bank" and then it turns out they opened their account 3 years ago. New accounts started to become difficult after the war with Ukraine began, I think.

@Freyada Sorry to hear you faced such difficulties. I did open my bank account in summer 2022 before my residence permit was issued (3650€ in your bank account is a requirement, so it must happen first). This is what I did: 1) property purchase, 2) bank account, 3) residence application.

Sonja, many realtors speak English and if you can speak the language, even if a bit rusty, it will be really easy for you. I would start the search online (real state websites like realitica or even directly googling). When you find a property that you are interested in, just contact the realtor/seller by Whatsapp or Viber. Just be aware some are more responsive than others, my advice here (and for all your endeavours in Montenegro) is be patient and persistent :)

@ctenanz How did you go about opening your bank account? Do you mind telling me which bank you used?

I went to the branch with my passport and my property deed, got told to come back the next day, as they had to request approval from their head office in Podgorica. Next day they had received the approval, so we went ahead and signed the paperwork for the account.  I'll send you a pm.