Bulgaria Citizenship by Investment - 2022 Updated Guide

My friends ( that below retirement age ) find out online information

about Bulgaria'  optional  to invest in real estate  $300,000 .

The info as following :

Q: Can I get residency in Bulgaria if I buy a house? Can property investment lead to residency in Bulgaria?

Answer :The Bulgarian law states that every foreign national who purchases real estate in Bulgaria for the amount of not less than BGN 600,000 is eligible to obtain an extended residence permit.

Details ( from lawyers-bulgaria  in Sofia Offices  ---  lawyers-bulgaria (dot. com )

Quick Facts     :

Nationalities accepted (EU/Non-EU)     ----EU and non-EU

Business investment option ?   Yes, minimum investment of 250,000 EUR

Real estate investment option ?   -----Yes, minimum investment of 300,000 EUR

Other investment options (if available)     ---- Yes, investments in government-approved financial instruments and investment funds

Residence or direct citizenship option     --- Permanent residency and accelerated citizenship available ---- Yes

Direct immigration with family members      ---Yes

Family members allowed to join the program     -----Yes, spouse and minor children

Timeframe for obtaining citizenship/residency by investment    

- 6 years through the standard application,

- 2 years through the fast-track procedure which implies a higher investment

Dual citizenship permitted      ----Yes

Is it true or fake info ?

It is info from

I am mostly interesting in Real estate investment option

Real estate investment option    -----, minimum investment of 300,000 EUR

As I understand it, you're a retiree. That's definitely one of the easiest ways to get your D visa and Bulgarian residence, as all you need is proof of your pension entitlement. Any immigration attorney here will advise you to pursue this option, as it's pretty much a sure thing. I think you'll find it's substantially more bureaucratically complex to do it by investment.

Financially, the retiree option will cost you a few hundred euros (pension letter, rental contract on a small apartment, health insurance policy). Then you can come over and spend a few months exploring the country and seeing how much you like it. And only put down 300k of your hard-earned money when you're convinced Bulgaria is the place for you, and you've found suitable properties.

But, yes, it's true: there are multiple ways to get residence in Bulgaria based on some form of significant financial investment. And, yes, you're quite right that for younger folks who don't yet have pensions (but do have a good savings pot) it could be worth considering.

In particular, while the general guidance is that buying a property is not sufficient to gain residence, there is a real estate investment option if the amount exceeds 600k leva (= 320k USD, currently).

I think the small print indicates that it doesn't have to be in one property only, which is a nice bonus, if true. As this means you could buy your own home, plus one or two apartments to rent out, and still qualify. It's also possible to put the money into your own EOOD, and purchase all the properties via this corporation (which would be useful if you wanted to include a house in your new property empire).

The Law an Foreigners in Bulgaria is here. It's an item (19) in Article 24.

https://www.mvr.bg/docs/librariesprovider14/%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BA%D1%83%D1%80%D1%81%D0%B8-%D1%87%D1%80/foreigners-in-the-republic-of-bulgaria-act_50.pdf?sfvrsn=19f9ce75_2

And here's another immigration lawyer on residence options, including investment in real estate:

https://immigration2bulgaria.com/residence-permit/

I believe there are investment options which also lead to accelerated citizenship, not just residence. But I think that requires a larger investment, 1 million leva or so.

https://immigration2bulgaria.com/bulgarian-citizenship/

True. Fastest way to get citizenship. Only 2 years.

In short - all options for RESIDENCE by investment are in power. Some of them give only long term residence permit - 1 year annually renewable,but others ( big investments) still give permanent residence. BUT all options for fast track citizenship are cancelled in 2022 by the amendments of Citizenship Act of Bulgaria.

So, approx. 6 years for the standart application about the citizenship is still active for the bigger investments.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : No self promotion please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Gwynj

Thanks for calling my future Bulgaria' real estate investment " empire " .

I really feel myself delighted , elated,   enchanted, ecstatic,   overjoyed.

And When I Say It, I Mean It!

Still, In USA realm $300K home is just a relatively modest home. Nothing special.

I am not  a retiree yet. I have  full time job now.  I will reach  Retirement Age  next spring....

but this  does not mean that I will be  forced  to end my job and start collect retirement money from Government.

But I am lazy. Still, they say that "Being lazy can lead to smarter decisions, innovative solutions, and better mental health.  So, I'm lazy !

And now I am thinking that moving to Bulgaria should be smart decision leading to better mental and physical health and more enjoyable lifestyle ( including Bulgarian apricot rakia )

Still, I need to find best  innovative ( still 101% legal ) or conservative ( 110% safe ) or combination of both solutions how to move to Bulgaria and avoid any "conflict of interests" situation with Bulgaria "bad actors", scammers and real estate mafia.

I really  think now to put the money into  my own EOOD , and purchase all the properties via this company

including formally registered  Bed & Breakfast /small guesthouse,  so I can rent it  during the time when I will traveling .

My Friends also thinking to buy good home /  Bed & Breakfast->  the same time as I will to buy it , so we together  can hire good honest manager (maybe you ? :)  and rent it for 2 years ( before they  reach Retirement Age )

@ Vasilev

The question : can we apply for retirement visa and simultaneously have legally reported rental income in Bulgaria from Bed & Breakfast business ? We are very ready to pay 10%  corporate Tax  ( the most legal way )

Thanks !

For a retiree the legal requirements for funds are:

- to have a BULGARIAN bank account where you will recieve the pension, which have to be not less than the minimal monthly pension in Bulgaria.

- to show a bank statment of the amount of of 12 x minimal pansion ( total around 6000 BGN)

The otigin of fundings of tue second requirement is not specified. Wvery year with the renewal you need to present those documents.

Note: Actually if you need to have the money from a comoany "in your pocket" you need to oay 15% - 10% corporate tax and 5% divident tax.

Regards

Nick

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Do not advertise your services on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct