Your best culinary memory in Mauritius

Hello everyone,

As you know, every country has its own flavours and tasting the local cuisine is a great way to discover the culture of a destination. Whether it's a small typical restaurant to taste local dishes, a traditional meal in a local's home, street food or fast food, there is something for everyone!

So, which dish do you want to try in Mauritius?
Which dish has impressed you the most and when did you discover it?
Do you know how to cook it and share it with your family?

Thank you for your taste contribution ;)

I had heard that Mauritian cuisine was a mixture of French, Indian and Chinese culture and that street food was not only very tasty but also good value. I went to the Central Market to try some dholl puri, a pancake from ground yellow split peas and a butter bean curry filling. It was delightful, eating out of a wrap of paper and with the flavours spiced up with some chilli paste. Delicious with some chilled Alouda drink afterwards, a milky drink with basil seeds, syrup and agar jelly.

Gateau Piment is now my favourite made from crushed, yellow split peas, onion, chilli and coriander. Its made into a ball, deep fried and delicious with several inside a baguette!

My best discovery was Chicken and Prawn Curry with rice and side dishes including tomato, onion, cucumber and coriander... and chilli paste of course. It is available across the island and is served in a delicious sauce which you might need more rice to mop it up!

I have used some recipes on the internet and also Shelina Permaloo's excellent cook book, published after she won Masterchef in the UK.

Hello PLMH,

I went to the Central Market to try some dholl puri, a pancake from ground yellow split peas and a butter bean curry filling. It was delightful, eating out of a wrap of paper and with the flavours spiced up with some chilli paste. Delicious with some chilled Alouda drink afterwards, a milky drink with basil seeds, syrup and agar jelly.

I already know which place you are talking about and reading your message is making my mouth water1f60d.svg

On a hot summer day like today a tall glass of alouda is all I need1f60d.svg

Gateau Piment is now my favourite made from crushed, yellow split peas, onion, chilli and coriander. Its made into a ball, deep fried and delicious with several inside a baguette!

This is my breakfast on everyday Saturday with piping hot chai1f60e.svg

Do you have tea/chai with that?

My best discovery was Chicken and Prawn Curry with rice and side dishes including tomato, onion, cucumber and coriander... and chilli paste of course. It is available across the island and is served in a delicious sauce which you might need more rice to mop it up!

I've never tried that but I'm sure it must be delightful1f60d.svg

Thank you for sharing your culinary experiences with us!!!

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Yoginee wrote  all dishes in Mauritius , I'm living in Port Louis,  bazaar rhoti, puri , dhol puri excellent.