How did you ship all your stuff?

I'm going to do a huge purge before I make the move.  I don't have much stuff.  Maybe a couple of large boxes or travel trunk.

thanks for helping me out

steven

@Steven Hoffman I moved solo to the Silver Coast last month as an over-60 retiree. Deep purging. My Delta flight included one free checked bag, one free carryon, and a second checked bag for $100. After the second bag, though, each additional bag would've been $285 each. I used ShipGo to send the extra bags. They pickup from your home and deliver right to your door at your destination. It was great not having to struggle with everything at the airport. They ship suitcases, trunks, duffels,  and boxes. The cost was $240 per bag for checked-bag size, and they offer a 15-percent discount for first-time  customers. Slightly cheaper than the airline but the convenience was priceless to me.

@Steven,

Please also have a look at these links:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=985449

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=940465

I guess it all depends upon what you are moving. We came to Portugal to stay for a long time and we took everything we have in a full 20 foot container. We had a big international mover cooperating with a company called Galamas here in Portugal to do all the packing, shipping and unpacking. I am still happy that I have all the things that I like around me instead of buying everything new here in Portugal.

@Steven Hoffman We also purged 90% of our Victorian furniture ( beds, couches etc) and ended up with a few tside tables, loads of kitchen stuff, clothes and tools. Definitely not a container load. So went with UPakWeShip. They use "crates" which are huge cardboard boxes ( 6 ft high) stapled to pallets. You pack your own boxes and then pack the boxes in the crates. Overall I would say it is a good service. We had probably unique issues. We had to store our boxes in the only availble storage unit we could find, and when we packed the crates ( in the unit) there was 1/2 inch clearance on the door. When it came time for pickup, UPakWeShip could not find a non-semi ( semis not allowed by our storage unit company) who would drive to our location in semi-rural Georgia. We ended up using a local mover to get the crates ( 5 of them) to an Atlanta depot and UpakWeShip collected them there. UPakWeShip did reimburse us for the local mover. At various times we couldn't get a quick phone/email response but overall it all worked out. I think they have less staff than they used to. Right now our crates are in Southampton and we are cautiously optimistic we might see them by Xmas. Whatever anyone says, get the Certficate de Baggagem from the same embaassy you got your visa. We made a perfect inventory ( in Portuguese & English - use Google translate) and got the certificate in Madeira ( used Traveling Mailboxes to forward). The one thing we failed to do was photograph the contents of the crates; so if we have damage we have no proof of what it was pre-ship. Its a long tediuos process. How it plays out once the crates arrive - we have no idea, but are hopeful they will unload them for us into the house. One note. there is little to choose from in terms of furniture and decorative items on the island. If you like Scandi modern, you'll be fine. We wished we had brought a few things that would have fit with our mediteranean theme (lamps can be rewired).  However, it is pretty easy to get furniture custom made here. Hope this helps.

Steven, so you could use 1 or 2 of the smaller crates at UPakWeShip ( 50 cu ft I think).  See their web site.

We sold everything and started again in Porto in July, 2022.  We had 3 checked bags with clothes, and some kitchen knifes.  We are now minimalists, it's great!  We buy only what we must have.  Who really needs a dinning room table if you don't entertain?  LOL

One thing I've learned here, (like other countries where we've lived), when you find something in a store, buy it, because tomorrow when you need it you may not find it.

@nz7521137 How was Galamas Movers to deal with?  Did they properly handle your move?  We are planning on a relocation from Tampa to Caldas da Rainha in Portugal next March.  Any help would be appreciated.

Max Mitchell

@smfagan300 sounds expensive. Maybe I can check a few boxes.  Anyone know max size on checking boxes

@Andrew Rockwell how much did that cost and what size did you use?

@maxwmitchell1997 Galamas were only responsible for the Portuguese side of the move and a lot depends upon the packing at the beginning of the move. As far as I remember we had no damages and Galamas was very helpful in all matters relating to getting the container out of the Port of Alcantara. I would recommend them, but a lot can happen in 7 years.

I have 5 double sided boxes measuring 69 x 41 x 38 cm ready to ship by air in January. The company that have given the best quote of E2200 approx cannot confirm a price until mid December as rates change all the time. My belongings are being collected in Edmonton Alberta Canada and will fly to Faro and be delivered to my home in Sao Bras for that price. I have my paperwork ready to go and had to get all done via the Embassy in Ottowa as the consulate in Edmonton was unable to complete it all. It's a process for sure but most items are important enough to us to be worth it. We too have sold everything and will restart once we need things.

The company I am using is called Eurosender

@wcg2 What part of the Silver Coast did you decide upon??  We chose Caldas do Rainha. 

@wcg2

How long did it take to get your stuff?

@wcg2

Thanks for this recommendation.  I too am over 60 and relocating next month.  I will check out this service for extra bags!

How are you enjoying the Silver Coast?  May I ask what town?  As  single person I am interested in a "walkable community".  I don't want to be isolated in a rural area.