Rent a flat or a house in Tenerife

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Tenerife. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Tenerife.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Tenerife?

How to find a home in Tenerife: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Dear Christine
I can't find unfurnished apartments like a local would. Can you help?
rgegards
Christiaan van Ast
Amsterdam

oops...I mean to rent long term of course.

Hi and welcome to the forum Christiaan !

Have you tried posting an advert in the Tenerife housing section.
It might help!

Good luck
Armand

Hi Armand:

I have been during more than 10 year in real estate industry, and even if I left now to concentrate myself on my law degree, I still have many contacts with agents.

what are you looking for?

yours truly.

Hello AlainVillemur,

We launched this topic in order to get some useful informations. It would be great if you could give some advise on the forum. 

The topic of this discussion is "Rent a flat or a house in Tenerife"

Thank you.
Christine
Expat log team

Hello all!

Thank you Christine to invite me to bring my point of view over the subject.

The rental's contract are regulated according the Law  29/1994 (Ley de arrendamiento Urbano).  Following the law,  urban's rental can have two purposes: Art. 2 a permanent residence for its tenants, Art. 3 any other reasons like for instance second home rental.

In both case, the duration is to agree between parts, but under Art. 2, the tenant have the right to extend the period for a minimum of 5 years.  The law also establish, for permanent residence other rights like for instance a priority to purchase the property in case the owner would intend to sell it (derecho de tanteo y retracto).   

To conclude, if the contract's terms define the rental as a not permanent residential use (and is often the case that owners states that it is a holiday accommodation), those advantages are not applicable.

There are many other key points, generally in tenant's favor put forth by the law, but again, the owner will try to use some legal clauses to avoid them.  I recommend anyone without adequate knowledge in Spanish law to consult any document with a lawyer before to sign it. 

The rental has also tax's impacts that are often forgotten.   For instance, the contract must inform about the property catastre's code, to allow the tenant to declare to the treasury where he is living in Spain.

it is impossible to make a full matter's exposition on the forum, but if you need more info, feel free to ask!

yours truly.

:)  Hi I'm looking to rent an apartment in the Las Americas areas.  I have been told that there are some very nice apartments in the nearby villages.  My requirements are a 1 bed roomed apartment, furnished, long lease, I do not have any pets, rental price range €300 to €400 per month.  I'm over 65 and wish to settle in Tenerife.  Some advice would be appreciated.  Thanks Denis.

email: [email protected]

300 to 400 for a 1 bed around las Americas even the villages outside is a little optimistic. but it could be possible around valle san lorenzo or El Frielle area. You may find it easier to raise it to 450. Becareful however there are many that will take advantage some want up to 50% of the monthy rent as a finders fee.

Avoid these like the plague, there are many that will take there fee from the property owner. My partner and I did this we came on a fortnights holiday last september and used the time to find a rental place whilst staying at the hotel.
But if your looking to stay here you will also need to sort out legal paperwork like N.I.E, residentia etc and be sure to have at least £5100 in a spanish bank.

@ Denis: Please note that you can also post an advert in the section housing in Tenerife :)

Hi Dienvay
Many thanks for the advice I will take that on board.  I will be making trp to Tenerife later on this year and will check for any pitfalls etc.

Thank you Denis.