Electricity billing in rental apartments

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to check if anyone else has had this problem. I've just moved into an apartment in HCMC D7, and the agent wants me to pay electricity from the 11th September when they took the electricity meter reading. However I moved in on the 2nd October, and sent them electricity meter readings because it's always been normal to read the meter when you move in and pay from the start date of your contract.

She says the apartment has sat empty so it should be from the 11th. But this seems crazy to me. Why should I pay for the meter when repairmen and apartment viewings are taking place, and of course some electricity is going to be used.

I'm planning to ask to see the meter readings tomorrow, because I haven't seen them yet and don't know what the difference is. But I wanted any advice from anyone before I go into the office tomorrow. Is it an absolute clear cut answer? How do I argue this?

Thanks for your time

Claudia

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to check if anyone else has had this problem. I've just moved into an apartment in HCMC D7, and the agent wants me to pay electricity from the 11th September when they took the electricity meter reading. However I moved in on the 2nd October, and sent them electricity meter readings because it's always been normal to read the meter when you move in and pay from the start date of your contract.

She says the apartment has sat empty so it should be from the 11th. But this seems crazy to me. Why should I pay for the meter when repairmen and apartment viewings are taking place, and of course some electricity is going to be used.

I'm planning to ask to see the meter readings tomorrow, because I haven't seen them yet and don't know what the difference is. But I wanted any advice from anyone before I go into the office tomorrow. Is it an absolute clear cut answer? How do I argue this?

Thanks for your time
Claudia
-@brookesclaudia32

If you have a photo of meter then you can argue it, they would have to just take your word if you didnt, ask to compare the reading you took with what they have.

A good tip is always take a photo.

Welcome to HCMC

If you took the meter reading from the date you moved in, then you argue from that. You don't pay for the difference in meter between 11th Sep and 2nd Oct.

Good luck.

@AndyHCMC Thanks I did take photos and sent her these. That's when she replied and said no the meter was taken on the 11th. So I shall go in tomorrow and compare photos/readings. She better have photos too.

@flam tieu Thanks, I will argue it!!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your time
Claudia
-@brookesclaudia32
If you have a photo of meter then you can argue it, they would have to just take your word if you didnt, ask to compare the reading you took with what they have.
Welcome to HCMC
-@AndyHCMC

IF you have your own main circuit breaker, then you can wire in a meter yourself. Place on the downside (output)  of your circuit breaker, (OF course, after temporarily disabling it). It will tell you exactly what your electrical draw is.

Not costly, just work very carefully. IF you have fluctuations in incoming voltage, there is a relatively inexpensive unit that records this history also.

This is not a recommendation of  meter brand, only an example of one:

https://www.lazada.vn/products/6-in1-di … ZwEALw_wcB

MAc

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your time
Claudia
-@brookesclaudia32
Welcome to HCMC
-@AndyHCMC

IF you have your own main circuit breaker, then you can wire in a meter yourself. Place on the downside (output) of your circuit breaker, (OF course, after temporarily disabling it). It will tell you exactly what your electrical draw is.
Not costly, just work very carefully. IF you have fluctuations in incoming voltage, there is a relatively inexpensive unit that records this history also.
This is not a recommendation of meter brand, only an example of one:
https://www.lazada.vn/products/6-in1-di … ZwEALw_wcB

MAc
-@Mac68

Hi Mac,

After a recent fire in a karaoke place killed 32 people I would hang off recommending people do their own electric work.

Any such work should only be done by a qualified electrician unless you fancy rebuilding your landlord or your house or apartment.

Very simple answer really - your contract determines the start of your liability for utilities, and the meter readings should have been on your contract from the date of its effectiveness, which may be different from the day (date) you moved in. Stick to the contract as its legally binding. 

@brookesclaudia32 Maybe find out how much electricity has been used and what the actual cost will be from 11/09. It may be insignificant or it may then provide you with the basis for a sensible conversation with the owner, via the agent.

It's always interesting to check if the price they ask you to pay for electricity is the same as what they actually pay to the company. I used to pay 5 mill. per kWh  but they actually paid 3 mill.!

@georgesvanderbeken She said I'm paying 4 million per kWh

@john426 Thank you for this. I will mention this tomorrow.

@Mac68 Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm an artist, and the thought of installing my own electrical meter sounds like it won't end well. I'll probably be charged for causing damage to the property.

@brookesclaudia32 Maybe find out how much electricity has been used and what the actual cost will be from 11/09. It may be insignificant or it may then provide you with the basis for a sensible conversation with the owner, via the agent.
-@tonykeenan

I own & rent out a flat in D12 & it sat empty for 4 months & during the time it was empty with the electric all off, the monthly electric bill was virtually zero but hey ho there is a principal at stake here I suppose & very strange to be charged anything for a flat you were not even in!

It's always interesting to check if the price they ask you to pay for electricity is the same as what they actually pay to the company. I used to pay 5 mill. per kWh but they actually paid 3 mill.!
-@georgesvanderbeken

I have rented 2 flats here at Celadon City & in each case I log in to EVNHCMC & pay my electric bill direct, not to the owner. 2 bed 70 m3 all electric with AC in the bed rooms average cost per month 800,000vnd incl VAT & dont ask me what the KW hour is on that!

It sounds like they are conning you and trying to make some quick cash out of you.

Anyone saying "millions" per kWh is mistaken.

kWh is usually charged in thousands.

₫3,500 VNĐ to ₫4,000 VNĐ is a fairly common price range, though it all depends on location AND whether or not the landlord is attempting to make an extra profit.

Best is to be able to deal directly with the power company, but that's not always possible.

@goodolboy it's more the principle. Plus when I viewed it they switched on all the light and fans to show they were working. So it wasn't left unplugged completely.

@SimCityAT I think they are trying to claw back money because the previous tenant left without paying his bills. He has 3 months of management fees to pay and I'm getting all his invoices in my postbox.

@SimCityAT I think they are trying to claw back money because the previous tenant left without paying his bills. He has 3 months of management fees to pay and I'm getting all his invoices in my postbox.
-@brookesclaudia32

Ahhhhhh, OK sounds like it. But that's not your fault though.

Best is to be able to deal directly with the power company, but that's not always possible.

Only property owners can have electricity accounts. Tenants cannot have electricity accounts in their name.

Only property owners can have electricity accounts. Tenants cannot have electricity accounts in their name.
-@colinoscapee

Yes but all you do is what I did & get the log in details from the landlord for the apartment (private owner) & bobs yer uncle. Log in, pay on line, job done.

₫3,500 VNĐ to ₫4,000 VNĐ is a fairly common price range, though it all depends on location AND whether or not the landlord is attempting to make an extra profit.

-@OceanBeach92107

Not sure what the KWh is but this is what I see

-@OceanBeach92107

try again

https://i.postimg.cc/WtfJpQ2J/electric-bill.jpg

-@OceanBeach92107
try again

electric-bill.jpg
-@goodolboy

@Everyone

If the picture is blurry for you to see, click on the picture and it will open a new page for you to see.

Ah the old electricity debacle. Most apartment owners/renters will pay EVN direct at maximum of 2.5kw/h i believe. If you use under 200kw/hr a month it's cheaper again. Since i moved into an apartment here 2 years ago i pay EVN direct via my banking app on my phone-it's around 550k a month for a two bed place, working from home and cooking most meals at home as well. Bit more in the hotter months from March.

I hate that the landlords charge 3.5-4k kw/hr in the 'serviced apartment' type places. It's actually illegal to "resell" electric here but good luck trying to get someone to do something about it. I've heard all the excuses for this, but it just comes down to being greedy.

-@OceanBeach92107
-@goodolboy

kWh = kilowatt hours

-@colinoscapee
Yes but all you do is what I did & get the log in details from the landlord for the apartment (private owner) & bobs yer uncle. Log in, pay on line, job done.
-@goodolboy

True, as long as you have a decent landlord and we know they are few and far between.

-@OceanBeach92107
-@goodolboy

kWh = kilowatt hours
-@OceanBeach92107

1f923.svg1f923.svgyes I know what kWh is but my post was ref what I see on my bill all be it a bit blurred in the attachment