Residency before or construction

Hi Everybody,

I just acquired a 500 mt2 lot in Bavaro.

i am waiting for the tile to be transferred under my name.

should I apply for my residency before building or after?

Thanks

Having residency may smooth a few bumps along the way but won't make a serious difference. You may want timing to coincide with bringing a container of your items to your new home!

Please keep up posted on your progress with the purchase, your build and your move here!

I agree with Planner - timing of residency should be tied to whenever you will begin living here full time or to time the arrival of your container!

We wanted to be here to oversee our construction, so we actually applied for residency before moving here. Not having the house ready made it a little tricky with storing a container of stuff, but we made it work! We also imported our car in our container and didn't  want to wait for that.

@ddmcghee

Hi,

can you tell me about your experience building there. Did they allow you to be on the construction site?

what about the quality of materials used ?

Thanks

@reyaudate51

we were on site just about every day! It probably depends on your builder and your ability to stay out of their way!

Just like anywhere, there are different levels of quality with all materials. You always want to use the best you can afford.

After living through this hurricane, we know that our house is structurally sound! The only problems we had were with one of our many glass doors, the solar panels (which we were already a little concerned with the installation), and some exterior drywall.

@ddmcghee

Were you happy with your builder?  Would you use your builder if you were to build again ?

Yes - we've had some frustrations, but I've had no doubt about the structural integrity of the house. After the direct hit from Fiona, our house fared much better than many others here in town!