Where to buy a property in Hurghada

Hi people.  I am moving from the UK to Hurghada hopefully sometime this year.. all dependent on selling my house.

I notice one or two of you have bought apartments already in Hurghada.  I have been told about an area called Megawish. can anyone advise me please.. I am only familiar with Sakala.

Thanks,
Sandra

There is a special property forum: webworldproperty.com There you can find lots of information about properties in the Red Sea area.

Thank you! much appreciated

Hello,

Magawish is a bit far from Hurghada but if you are looking for quiet area and It is close to the sea. It is located in front of Magawish village in villages road, now ther are building a huge Aquarium and it is familiar area with Villas.

Sakkala is crowded area but there are few regions is close to Sakalla and It is also quiet and nice, you can get there sea view apartment or studio for affordable prices.

Al Kawthar area is fine too many tourists like to invest there cause it has big streets,quiet and in central of Hurghada too where you can find Hospitals,shops and cafes. it is10 mins to airport by Car and about 10 mins by walk to Memsha on seaside.

Best regards

I'm off for a site visit in March - currently considering Al Ahyaa, Makadi Bay Resort, Al Helal, and Sahl Hasheesh.

Are these areas safe? I believe getting out of Makadi Bay or Sahl Hasheesh may be difficult apart from by taxi and I fear that Sahl Hasheesh will be very expensive to live in with inflated prices in the supermarket. I worry that Al Ahyaa will be too much like a building site (is it safe? I have heard yes, so far). Al Helal has only just added itself to my agenda, so any input on that would be appreciated.

So far, none of these is perfect (I guess perfect would be beachfront, already available at not too much money, good investement, good and safe public transport options to Hurghada when I need the scope of shopping). I plan to live (will be living off my own means and writing/researching) - so it's not just a holiday property.

Hi.  Thankyou for that information.  I am currently considering Soma House and also Tiba Rose.. but not actually being able to visit and take a look at the area it is hard to decide.  I hope to come to Hurghada in March and see for myself.. Do you have a preference? any advice and information on these properties would be much appreciated.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

All I know is that the Tiba residences seem to have a good reputation for being built ahead of schedule. I've seen posts (here) from some people who seem happy with the Tiba projects. I will report back from my site visit (let me know if there is anything in particular that you would like me to ask).

I've been looking at the Amalfi which is in the same area as the Tiba projects and also at Turtle Beach, which would be perfect but it won't be ready for four years and am now thinking I may prefer something already complete. My concern about the Tiba projects is that I really wanted a sea view and I feel Al Ahyaa may end up building over any sea view.

Like you, I've come to a bit of a dead end until I actually see what the areas are like. It's a huge decision (even without worrying about the political climate and economic issues)!

Fiona.

Hi Fiona,
I feel exactly like you!  I would love a sea view especially as i will be living in it permanently.  I also considered Turtle bay, but i didn't realize it would be 4 years until completion! unless of course people can move in as the apartments become available.

My requirements are... because i am 58 and will be living alone ( my daughter lives in hurghada with her egyptian husband ) but of course because she is young .. they could move away so i need to be  in the right place ( safe and not to far from shops etc ) because of having to go out alone.. my son-in-law says once the locals have seen you a few times they will be fine with you and actually look out for you.
I think i would also like to live amongst english speaking otherwise i would feel isolated.

I am buying through rivermead global properties once i can decide on the right area and apartment.  But i do need to visit for although all the apartments will probably look beautiful i need to get a feel of the place.

It is a big step to take and a big risk like you say with what's happening etc... but you have to take risks in life.. and quite frankly i this one is worth taking.
As i am writing this in England .. it is freezing cold.. worried about putting the heating on because of the cost of fuel and it is pouring down with rain.. ( No contest )  ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Regards
Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Yes, I'm looking with Rivermead, Sun Homes, and 1stChoiceGlobalProeprties.

I've probably been a bit unfair on Turtle Beach. It's been my favorite pick for a while, and completion on Phase 1 is due in Dec 2014, I think. I was going to rent and then move in, but I am now thinking Phase 2 will still be being built when I move in, the ameneties may not be working properly, and so it may take forever until it is actually in top condition. It looks a great project though.

I will be looking at the Tiba properties while I am over, Royal Beach, and Amalfi (with 1stChoice..), which I liked because it had its private beach (but a walk away, however, closer than the Tiba properties, I think).

Makadi Bay I liked because it is being built by Orascom (who did El Gouna) and is designed as a whole, but the disadvantage is that at the moment it doesn't have its own beach and it is not right by the sea. However, I feel it would be safe as it is built as a community.

Sahl Hasheesh looks wonderful, but is a lot more expensive and I'm not sure whether anyone actually lives there.

Sun Homes said Al Helal was a nice area in Hurghada, quiet, with families and people get to know each other quickly. However, I haven't really looked into this yet (that's my next task).

I go over in early March and am hoping that this will help me decide or at least narrow down my choices. At the moment, everything has pros and cons! And then there is the option of re-sales and that will depend on what is available.

Fiona.

Dear Sandra.

Hi there, I am Tracy, British woman living in Egypt. Currently I am living in Cairo, but I freelance for companies in Hurghada doing marketing for Real Estate.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum pls]

I have spent some time in Hurghada and plan to move there myself from cairo this year.

Best regards

Hi Tracy.  Thankyou for the information, it is much appreciated.

Regards.
Sandra

You are more than welcome Sandra.

please donot hesitate to contact me if you require any further information or questions.

Tracy

Hi there,

I work between the UK and Egypt (cairo & Hurghada). Our company has an office in Hurghada.  I only came on to offer a job in the Real Estate sector and as I am not aware of the policy I wont push any properties but will happily give a steer on the areas.

Personally if I was looking to buy I would be looking at already complete or near complete property. It is far safer and you know what you are getting. Furthermore it is buyers market at the minute.

Personally I would look at absolute beachfront options even if it meant a smaller property. This gives you the lifestyle you imagine from the red sea but also stacks up in terms of investment as these properites are almost the most desirable. Yes the plan is to stay. But it can't hurt to have something you can sell or rent if you need to.

Just look out for hidden costs like maintenance.

If you don't buy on the beach then ask around, there are units available for resale so while you are speaking with some of the more credible agents (and one of the best!) it may be that there are resale options.

Hi thankyou for your advice.. it is always appreciated.. I actually had already thought about buying on the beach.. I thought about the Turtles beach project! But it would be buying off plan and the first phase isn't due for completion until 2014.. so not sure!!!

I am hoping to come to Hurghada in the next couple of weeks to decide which area is probably the best to buy.

I was under the impression that maintenance was included in all apartment blocks!!

Kind regards.
Sandra

hi i am also thinking of moving to hurghada i have a place in tiba heights but also getting a 2nd apartment in tiba rose

Hi Jeremy. Are you renting your apartment out? As soon as i have been out to Hurghada and chose something, I will consider buying perhaps 2 one to live in and one to rent out.. I was wondering how the rental market is! because the rented one is the only income i would be having for 7 years until my pension is paid.

Sandra

Not renting my apartment at heights as will not be easy to rent out in that area and want to use it myself at this time for the holidays but you stand a better chance to rent out rose is a better area etc and also I am using Neil as my agent he is in my home town also of Manchester

i have some photos of rose on wwp forum if you want to look at the place and am 51 so in the same boat as you

sandrasmith wrote:

Hi thankyou for your advice.. it is always appreciated.. I actually had already thought about buying on the beach.. I thought about the Turtles beach project! But it would be buying off plan and the first phase isn't due for completion until 2014.. so not sure!!!

I am hoping to come to Hurghada in the next couple of weeks to decide which area is probably the best to buy.

I was under the impression that maintenance was included in all apartment blocks!!

Kind regards.
Sandra

no the cost at tiba is £200 a year for maintenance and thats cheap

Good morning!

First of all I would like to say that EgyFrance is absolutely right - at the moment do NOT buy any property 'off plan' / not ready to move in, even if it's directly on the beach front and you like it very much (no matter of the price) + check out further expenses: management fee (if any) + consumption (water & electricity). There are a lot of changes coming up and even in 'cheap' areas like Mubarak 2 the owners MUST install individual counters, while it's still difficult to get a proper official info about HOW MUCH they'll charge etc.

As for the SEA FRONT projects like Esplanada / Sea View - annual management fee of 2-bedrooms apartment is 1.200 USD (+ monthly water & electricity), which is about DOUBLE higher vs. what I pay in El Gouna (same 2-bedrooms apartment), where definitely SAFETY is a TOP priority besides all other attractions vs. Hurghada and other areas. By the way - there are a lot of resales in El Gouna and if you really think of safety, multinationaly community, better life style etc. I would highly recommend to come and visit El Gouna and see what is available.

Ref. Soma Bay - there are NO supermarkets so far. The closest are in Safaga or - SENZO mall / Spinneys supermarket, which is about 30-40 min. driving by car on a highway.

Makadi Bay is a bit closer to Hurghada, but this specific project of ORASCOM is located just next to the highway and I'm not sure if you have ANY sea view from those properties.

Rental prices in Hurghada are different - starting from 800 Egypt. Pound (LE) per month for a Studio - long term' rent.

If you are considering El Ahya area - why not Mubarak 7? There are a lot of expatriates living there, prices are less vs. properties in El Gouna and it's just 10-15 min. from Hrg. airport / 15 min. to reach El Gouna (just in case you might need a GOOD Hospital or - just to come for a walk in Abu Tig Marina or play Golf etc.). 1/2 Villa with swimming pool, REGISTERED land of 600 m2, European standards of finishing, furnitures, garden @ the price of 260.000 EURO. Each floor has a 2-bedroom apartment, so you can live in 1 and rent the another one. So far - price for a long term rent is 2.500 - 3.000 LE per month + consumption (water & electricity) + 450 LE per APARTMENT, which the owners of 2 villas pay to (so called) buab, who is doing cleaning of the apartment (every 2nd day), garden, pool etc.

Just a few ideas / options from me - living in El Gouna over 14 years :) Please contact me in case you might have more questions, details etc.

Best regards from Sunny Red sea,

Elena

Good morning Elena.

Thankyou for your advice.. it is much appreciated.

My daughter is married and lives and works in Hurghada.. I have visited on several occasions, but of course staying in Hotels i didn't really get to see much of Hurghada so therfore can't decide where to live.

I know about Elgouna and did have a trip there on one occasion.. my daughter worked in Ocean view Hotel and she absoltely loved it.
But did stress how expensive it would be for me to live there.

I will be selling my house in England and will have just the proceeds of the sale to live off for 7 years in Hurghada untill i get my state pension.  I don't think i will be able to afford to buy a property and have enough money left over to live without worry until i get my state pension.. eg. medical costs, utilities, food etc. 

I think you are right though Elena about buying off plan I can't afford to take the risk financially.. i am 58 years old and need to be responsible and not take silly risks.

I think the safest bet is to wait until i have sold my house and the money is in the bank.. then come to Hurghada and take my time to have a good look and get it right.

My main worry is good medical care and the costs incurred.

But i do value any advice you can offer.. i can't afford to be ignorant about such important matters.

Kindest regards
Sandra

Hi Jeremy.

I thought all of Tiba was close together?  This is why i really need to come out and see what's what!

I'm wondering if i spoke to you on the bus off the plane in airport last year? in Hurghada   I did speak briefly to someone that said they were coming to check out an apartment that was finished ( I think )

I am talking to Neil presently about different areas and apartments.. I was seriously considering the Soma house suites.. but have been told today that there is no shops etc.
I need to be close by to such facilites.. i dont and wont be driving.. I don't want to be isolated so it's just finding the right one.

I have been looking at flights but they are way to expensive... and when you have to stay in a Hotel it makes it even more expensive!!!
So goodness only knows when i can get out to take a look... I am pretty flexible so can go at a minutes notice so i can check the flights daily.

Just out of curiosity Jeremy?  What floor is better to live on in apartment blocks.. also are the rooms a decent size?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Sandra

Go on Web World Property Forum I have photos and there are some shops around the tibas but not a lot and I have gone for the ground floor for lots or reasons as find it better for living there if the lift brakes down and carrying shopping etc can I ask you why you want to sell your house rent it out so you have a money to live on in Hurghada that's what I am doing and as for getting sick just jump on a plane back home to the UK its only 5 hours away and property is so cheap in Hurghada are the price of a car in the UK I payed £13,000 for a 1 bed in tiba heights

Interesting posts. I go over in early March and may still take the option to rent and not buy (the advantage of buying is not having to move twice - you always accumulate, wherever you are). It's difficult to offset impending currency devaluation with impending inflation and to know which will have the greater effect (and on what - house prices and rent or just one of them?).

Anyway, I've also more or less decided to go for a completed property. Beach front would be best, but it costs, and if you are on a small budget of up to 40k (or a bit more for the perfect one) and wanting a decent-sized space, it's not so easy. I fear El Gouna will be beyond my budget and I've heard of people saying they enjoy living in Al Ahyaa with cheaper cost of living and easy public transport to El Gouna and Hurghada (I'm another one not wanting to have a car). But I haven't seen Al Ahyaa yet. I'm not keen on living in Hurghada itself because I think it will be too hectic for me.

Is there a particularly good site to go to for looking for El Gouna resales - I've seen a few websites but have been wondering if there is a physical site on El Gouna itself (I will be staying there during my site visit, so could see a few spontaneously)? I feel El Gouna is overpriced just now - it looks like most 2-beds are at least 100k.

Makadi Bay has no sea view and at the moment not even private beach access, but the property is inexpensive and I believe it will increase in value over time (less confident about Al Ahyaa if too much of it remains undeveloped). Also, there's no transportation. However, as Makadi Bay is a not yet completed resort, I feel it is likely that facilities will improve over time (and this is why it is cheap just now, because some facilities have yet to come). My worry there is that I will feel "trapped" in the compound at Makadi with no ease of access anywhere else, at least in the early days.

And I've heard that even from El Gouna it is a bit of a trek to Hurghada, although at least there is good transport, I believe.

Just really saying all this to give my thoughts and hoping to provoke some feedback.

Hi.  Your thoughts are my thoughts exactly!

I to have also made one decision... that is to buy an apartment already completed.. although where.. I have absolutely no idea.  Like yourself i am doing lots of research and asking lots of questions.. Someone did suggest yesterday that Mubarek 7 would fit my criteria!  I am going to research that today..

I don't think i would be able to afford El Gouna.. and i also think living in Hurghada itself would be too hectic for me also.

I would appreciate any new information as you find it .. i think our requirements are the same.

Sandra

Take a look at rose and yes I know it's in Hurghada in the town but the location is well away from the tourist shops and walking distance to the beach and has sea views look at the red sea way web page

I actually think Tiba Rose is going to be my best bet, financially and the location.. it's just taking a look now for peace of mind.. ( Providing there are apartments left )

Yes there are apartments as rose was only released just before Xmas if you ask red sea way they will send you a availability list

Thanks Jeremy.. Do i contact them or Neil?

Hi Fiona,

You are right - El Gouna' prices / 2-bedrooms apartment: starting from 120.000-140.000 EURO. The official site of the entire resort: elgouna.com

Long term rent (1 year and longer) is about 500 EURO per month (+ extra cost of the consumption & Management fee).

As for Mubarak 7 area - similar 2-bedroom apartment (NO sea view, but private pool & garden) would cost about half of the above El Gouna' price.

If you are interested - please, contact me during your stay in El Gouna - will be my pleasure meeting you :)

Have a nice trip & enjoy your stay on the Red sea!

Elena

Sandra - others have covered the maintenance expenses; there will also be legal fees, of course, if you buy. Another thing I've learnt whilst reading around is that if you are one of the first to move into a completed property, particularly a large one that is still being completed as you move in, is that you will still have to pay the maintenance charges even though, for example, the pool may not yet even be installed yet. I read on one forum of people waiting two years and it wasn't completed but they were still expected to pay the maintenance at full price!

Elena - many thanks for the useful information. I had hoped that maybe El Gouna would be about 300 GBP per month to rent but maybe I am being over-optimistic. Do you have any sense for where property prices are going? I know costs are going up so builders will have to charge more or make less profit, but I am wondering whether resales will start to fall in price as people have less money to spend these days? It's possible, but not guaranteed, that I may have more money a year later on, so maybe I should wait to buy even if I do have the hassle of moving twice.

Hi how about the Jungle development in Magawish  am buying there my self

Fiona is absolutely right about the maintenance' issues in some projects, therefore I wrote before about it and I would highly recommend to ask all details & costs involved: consumption of water & electricity, maintenance, security etc. Usually it's not easy to get the exact figures, while management' fee is increasing every year (by 10% in average - in LE).

As for the resale prices - definitely they are decreasing. As an example - villa in El Gouna (3 bedrooms / 3 bathrooms) 3 years ago was on sale at 640.000 - 680.000 USD, last year it went down to 470.000 USD and I'm quite sure you can still negotiate it down to 410.000 USD.

Mubarak 7 area - from 90.000 to 70.000 EURO (2-bedrooms' apartment), which is about the actual cost, which the owner spent to finish the apartment.

As for Hurghada area - it's not that huge difference as in general they are not that expensive. At the end - the final price depends on how badly the seller needs the money.

Rental is a bit different. Yes - prices are slightly down, but not much as the owners are looking for a certain return on their investment made a few years ago. 300 GBP in El Gouna - can be for 1-bedroom apartment.

Hi Fiona. Yes you are right.. I have been asking lots of questions and am finding all this out.

I am flying out to Hurghada hopefully the end of March armed with my notepad and pen and lot's of questions.

I have places and apartments to visit and people to see.  I hope this visit will find me my beautiful home in a beautiful country.

It's just a shame there are a lot of ruthless people.. I have read some horror stories when it comes to buying a property and i am now paranoid .. not knowing who to trust.. even when it comes to choosing a " reputable lawyer "  it isn't always the case.

sandra

Hi Sandra , i would give you a tip if you want to contact with lawyer you should use the embassy's lawyers its easy to make the contacts for you . and if you think to live in Hurghada you need to be inside the city not in the near , i have many friend live in the near from Hurghada such Ahyaa area or Magawish or Mubarak7 they are noy happy with this moving without a car is not easy to move and driving here in Hurghada is not easy for foreigner its no driving rules ;-) . first take your stay renting it will not be a big risk after this you will find it easy to decide which area and who you can trust . then you can think about buying . have a good day and good luck . Hurghada is not bad but you need to find the good people .
Samer

remark , I'm not a lawyer ;-)

samer365 wrote:

Hi Sandra , I would give you a tip if you want to contact with a lawyer you should use the embassy's lawyers its easy to make the contacts for you . And if you think to live in Hurghada you need to be inside the city not in the near , I have many friends live in the near from the Hurghada such eye area or Magawish or Mubarak7 they are not happy with this moving without a car is not easy to move and driving here in Hurghada is not easy for a foreigner its no driving rules ;-) . First take your stay renting it will not be a big risk after this you will find it easy to decide which area and who you can trust . Then you can think about buying . Have a good day and good luck . Hurghada is not bad but you need to find the best people .
Samer

Remark , I'm not a lawyer ; -)

This is good advice I bought in Ahyaa but now I am getting a place in Hurghada town center as Ahyaa is a long way away from all the night life etc.

Thanks for all your advice.. I am visiting Hurghada in the next couple of weeks.

Hi I have lived in the winter months in Esplanada Residence since 2007.  I used to own in El Gouna, whilst being very safe it is like living in a ghost town.  Also the prices in the shops [supermarket & vegetable shops] are extremely expensive.

The maintenance quoted above for Esplanada for a small two bedroom, two bathroom is not at all correct,it is much cheaper than quoted in the above thread, especially as the dollar has risen so much against the Egyptian Pound. Every development that has good security, direct beach views a private beach and private parking with a gym etc is going to have high maintenance.

When I bought in 2006, I spent weeks visiting every development, with a long list of questions.  My reason for buying in Esplanada was that I wanted to be close to things but live in an extremely quiet area with very large private beach, and good security.  Whilst still being able to walk a few minutes to shops and local restaurants. Living amongst the 5 star hotels has tended to mean that our elctricity cuts have been a lot less and for a much shorter time than elsewhere.  I still visit El Gouna about every 10 days but am so glad that I longer live there as my bills have reduced by 75% in respect of shopping etc.

All of my friends that live out of Hurghada hate it now especially as they feel less safe, and are stranded if they do not have a car.

I have lived in Egypt in the winter on and off for the last 30 years, and would caution anyone thinking of buying now.    Thoroughly check the title deeds, regarding ownership and outstanding mortgages/loans on the land.  Too many expats have thought that they have bought a bargain to find that 5 other people have bought the same flat.  The taxes on cement are being increased and due to the rising dollar all building materials are increasing in price dramatically at the moment.  So be very careful if you buy off plan and make sure the builder has enough money to finish the development, as the court system in Egypt has virtually collapsed at the moment.

Also beware there are a number of Europeans who are cheating buyers in their dealings, so get a good lawyer who will be expensive.

Remember if it looks like a bargain BEWARE.

Rents are rock bottom at the moment and a lot of sellers are offering rental with an option to buy, which is a great way to check out a property.

Hi thank you for your advice ( It is good advice ) trouble is the more i hear about things like you have said the more i ask myself "What am i doing" but i do love Hurghada and my daughter is married to an Egyptian and living there.

How do you go about finding a good trustworthy solicitor.. I have been told most of them are crooks!  If you can't trust a solicitor who can you trust..

I will be coming for a visit very soon so will do my homework whilst there.

Regards
Sandra

sandrasmith wrote:

Hi thank you for your advice ( It is good advice ) trouble is the more i hear about things like you have said the more i ask myself "What am i doing" but i do love Hurghada and my daughter is married to an Egyptian and living there.

How do you go about finding a good trustworthy solicitor.. I have been told most of them are crooks!  If you can't trust a solicitor who can you trust..

I will be coming for a visit very soon so will do my homework whilst there.

Regards
Sandra

well you are not alone in you love of hurghada and not on your own when making the move over there