What I learned building in a gated community in Costa Rica

Hello!  Another update from Justagirl and not because I have the time but because I honestly hope and pray that less and less people throw their life savings and life dream into a garbage disposal.  It is a painful grind.

selling lots and a dream is big business. It can easily generate several million dollars in assets and cash.   There are enough people that hold fast with heels dug in to make IT happen that when it doesn't they cut and run to save themselves. But, for those who don't, it brings change, lessons and constant redirection.   Three things cause change- discomfort, learning and receiving enough resources to do so. That's all.   Avoid discomfort where possible.   In Costa Rica that is actually easier than you think. It is a simple lifestyle that strives to be one with the surroundings and leave it as they found it. However, this simple lifestyle is prey to greed, power and corruption. When something is so enjoyable and satisfying many want to own it, sell it, control it.

It is going on the 7th year since the purchase of our “affordable luxury home”  in Guanacaste Costa Rica. We are almost done. That is our mantra. “How is the house coming?” You say. We say, with a smile we've learned to force “we are almost done”.   Manana, manana.

I've raised six perfect kids who are an incredible blessing. I have 5 grandchildren that fill me with hope for the future and have surrounded myself with the best people on earth. Long suffering and hold me up. I follow the model of Christ and seek justice but love mercy. I am a satisfied and happy traveler in this life in spite of it all.

The home is amazing. A constant reminder of the years of loss, legal battles, meeting with politicians, begging newspapers to run a story to no avail, and meeting with and talking with potential and actual homeowners/lot owners. The stories fill my heart for the plight of man. We all just want to find peace, tranquility and a likeminded community. One day, we will.

The home we have is in a gated community, with guards and an HOA. We are grateful for the guards. Locals who live a different code. The HOA is a pass to harass and charge homeowners. It has caused several to just walk away. Water issues, road blocks and ridiculous rules to attend meetings that produce nothing. So so terribly sad after all they have already endured. While the principals sit in Belgium, Canada, the US (which hough he took the fall as he should), and right across the street from us the rules are never followed by them. Our neighbors run a construction business from their home (the last remnant of the company). They planted the largest bushiest tree they could in front of our view of the ocean and show zero neighborly grace. They sit in waiting to “fix” something the company they worked for as construction foreman failed to do, and charge us all for- guaranteed income for them.

We have in our fight been able to push out as much of the company as able and allow Costa Rican companies to come in. Builders, pool cleaners, gardeners and rental management. So, after losing on the first round some have managed to start over and we've seen 4 more houses go up. They are beautiful but many are jaded and cautious and we haven't developed a community of people yet. Everyone has been taken advantage of by lawyers, managers, and the company. We even had to spend $1500 US to change our electric meter from commercial (set up by company) and o residential which cut our bill almost in half. We were paying $300 a month while not here for a 2 bedroom villa.   Their attorney set it up originally. So much taking advantage and sticking it to ya. Many are still entangled in legal problems- taxes never paid by company attorney. All of the principals own lots and some homes. Including the company attorney who did not move the tax money from his pocket to the government of Costa Rica.

what saddens me most is the amount of taxes never received by the municipality for the amount of money exchanged from buyer to seller over the ten year ordeal. We know it is great just based on what we pay and paid when we legally removed the company from our transaction. That fee from just the legal representation was $24000 US. To get what we bought in title.   We replaced all of the furniture that was stolen as the insurance company said there was no violence therefore it wasn't covered. The company changed our locks and cleaned out our home. Even things we brought from US. We've rebuilt the entire home and still are finishing final cosmetics after $15000 to soil test and soil nail our land to avoid our house sliding down the cliff. The final bill could have sent all 6 to IVY league schools.  Twice.

so, the lesson?  If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Period. You're not an exception and you haven't found the fountain of youth. If you're going to build something in Costa Rica it takes one year- give or take. So come down once or twice a month and manage the progress. No work, no pay. No work, terminate and hire someone else. Never, ever, ever buy in a gated community that has no infrastructure and no Costa Rican company on the dotted line.  Research The company you are signing with.

Hire an attorney from the start and don't pay for no results. If they don't communicate promptly and have results, you are wasting your money. We found the best, after going through 4. You get what you pay for. $500 an hour for results is so much cheaper than $200 for none.

Build a community of people from your own country and some from CR. Proceed cautiously because both have maybe suffered at the hands of the other. Don't move too fast or give to much and by all means no matter what anyone tells you, people only do what you let them. Period. Period.

I have been lied about, threatened, ostracized by my husband, suffered violence on my child, and put my husband through alcohol rehab in the journey to tell the truth. In the end, it was worth saving others the same fate though there are many I couldn't assist.   Seek justice but love mercy.

I pray you all enormous blessings in your expat journey, wisdom and favor and a square of friends- not circle- so you may always find a friend in whatever corner you find yourself in.

many thanks for those who held me up. I am in your debt. 🙏. Happy holidays and blessed Christmas.

@Justagirl8870 Thank you for taking the time to post this information. Where is your community? Nosara? Tamarindo?

@Justagirl8870 thank you for sharing. I can also share my wierd experience  hoping it'll help others.

I bought a new, to be constructed house while still being in Canada (first error) and used the same lawyer (the second one). The company was Costa Rican run by Canadians with tico background.

The house was built rather quickly.  After my arrival, after 2 months I have realized that something was wrong, as I received no property title. All properties in this development (only 2 houses have been built but lots had been sold to gullible canadians). All properties and respective utility bills have been under the builder corporation. Technically I didn't own my house although I had all proofs of payment and the contract indicating the proper title transfer. Practically the company and their lawyer have committed  a fraud.

I have managed to separate my utility accounts thanks to good ticos in the INS and hydro offices, hired a lawyer (after changing 3 of them) to obtain my title.

I planned to sell my house but it was impossible without a title.

Another fraud was consisted of the builder connecting to my electricity meter. Getting astronomical Bill's for 4 months I finally managed to get access to the meter (the box was locked by the builder), get an electrician, who produced the report and then provided it to INS. INS initially told they can't do nothing because I had no title, while being agreed that it was an obvious fraud, however the existing proof  eventually made them to disconnect the fraudster from my meter after a month of deliberation. My bills have decreased 6 times...

Anyway, just to finish this long saga, I am still waiting for the title after this extremely bureaucratic process is completed (8 months).

The purpose of the builder was to create a gated community sucking funds from all via HOA and utility bills, while having all properties registered under their corporation.

This plan was idiotic, as people naturally would detect this fraud right away. Imagine that the utility bills are under their name, so they can charge you based on the imaginable consumption. Yes, it was totally stupid.

As soon as I get my title I'll sell it and start building a new on the lot belonging to my tico friend. In any case, I now possess a good experience.

This all has happened in Osa, close to Puerto Jimenez.

I'm sorry to read the stories of you both, the only good thing is it educates people like myself who are considering relocation to Costa Rica.

My husband and I have been looking for land for a couple of years now, I have always avoided gated communities as I'd never want to be under someone else's control, this being said, the idea of security is also appealing.

I hope you both get closure without cost soon, and you can start the new year loving what lies ahead

Best wishes

Linda

Boy, your stories are all very educational.  My daughter and I are currently looking at properties.  We want the simple lifeof growing most of our own food in a quiet, peaceful way.  We thought we had found the perfect place but legalities and estate taxes , etc, reduced the amount of money we received from selling our home in Canada so that we didn't have enough to complete the sale.  The seller, who isalso an expat would not reduce his selling price, despite having the property for sale for severalyears.  So it is true that it is not just ticos that want to make a lot of money from unsuspecting expats. 

@karenskrill certainly not just ticos. Gringos often is a much worse garbage. However be careful not to idealize ticos despite them being nice. Lying is in their culture and it is pretty normal...

So sad to hear all of the very relatable stories.

My husband and I went through pretty much everyone's stories; please be careful buying land outside of a Community as well; land can be cheaper, you feel free of HOA's but also you have no security and that is a very important part of peaceful living.

I guess both options have pros and Cons. We bought in a Tico gated community and the actual Community is ok. Our troubles where mostly while building… but that was 2 years ago. After all of the stuff we went through, I decided I didn't want to live in CR, so we have rented our beautiful beach house on Airbnb and it has been good. Now we want to sell because we are older and want to stay in one place( here in Colorado), and come what may weather wise or political; we are ready to nest here. I hope it doesn't take us 1 year ti sell as I read other stories…🤞🏼

wish everyone the best for this year that we are starting. May 2023 bring us all PEACE and much joy

Please contact me privately. I am looking for a house (or lot) not far from the ocean.

I question anyone wanting to live or build in Tico barrios/neighborhoods.With everyone knowing your comings,goings and that there is no set backs with construction.They can actually build right up to the property boundary.In a lot cases, crossover right into your side of the property and cause drainage issues for each other.Everyone is faultless here,I do mean everyone.......

@edwinemora  I can see your concern, and imagine that's how it is in many places. The Community where we built is called “ Mistico Beach Town & Resort” im Playa Hermosa. They actually have by laws and everyone has to leave 3 meters from the property line to the actual building/ house. They also have a bunch of construction limitations to avoid conflict among neighbors. Anything you plan to build has to go through their “building Comitee”.

@Henrych Lying is part of the Costa Rican culture?  That's quite obtuse.

dbuettner........Didn't you get funding through' NAT-GEO' to do the study on the elderly,on the Nicoya Peninsula(Blue Zone) 15 yrs ago ? If anyone,you would know this to be true of the Costa Rican culture.This is why you need an attorney just to get out of bed here.

@dbuettner have you lived here enough or your opinion is just based on your imagination?

@Henrych haha...i know who you are referring to, but no.  Same name, different person.  The author/researcher Dan Buettner did a nice study on Blue Zones around the world.

NEVER build in Costa Rica - this story is not new.  We are in central valley and went through the same issues with a cuban builder.  Most are not "builders" either - learning as they go.  Buy a resale!!!!!!  There are tons of them everywhere and most people selling their homes are doing so at a loss because of all the crap they've been through building.  You've been warned!

Builders here, just about all of them have no solvency.In our case, we chose an American who had been building in our zone for 25yrs.He had deep ties to the community,so, this builder couldn't afford to botch his reputation.Along with the architect a C.F.I.A.registered( get their carnet # to see if they are for real or any registered complaints).Have your attorney review the'Building contract'.It is imperative not to let go of any money till each phase is completed.......At the end of our build ,our builder came back to re-do or finish what his workers missed(according to contract) but this took months of waiting for them, to come back.Don't forget to budget for home maintenance especially at the beach.The lowland Tropical climate is harsh on everything.Basically it is a roll of the dice, even in the best situations.......If you are use to a good standard but are on strict budget, you have no business in Costa Rica......Have the money to throw that you won't miss !

suggest you read the info regarding angela jimenez rocha who is licensed appraiser for last 33 years for the banks and the government housing institute

you can see her info on her web site if you google her name

@Justagirl8870

Wow, sounds like you've had a difficult experience! 

My experience building in a gated community has been quite the opposite.  I designed and built my home with a ”casita” next door, in the blue zone, in only 6 months, within my limited budget. 

I'm extremely happy: very friendly community, with

24/7 security, 7 mins from the beach, 35 mins from the airport, peaceful, quiet, beautiful community in the jungle… yet close great restaurants and fun exciting activities.

There is a clubhouse and huge infinity pool at the top of the mountain with a spectacular view of the surrounding jungle and beaches.

BTW, I came to Costa Rica on my own 2 years ago,

I'm now 66 years old, yet feel 20 years younger than when I arrived!

I am thoroughly enjoying la ”Pura Vida”.

Hello @EVatlantisCR

Thanks for your feedback!

we are also curious if it can work in a gated community. Apparently, you have a very positive experience. May I ask in wich area of the Costa Rica? South-East, etc… Because what you describe is exactly what we are looking for, montain, beaches and jungle. And a close airport!

Thanks in advance 😊

@EVatlantisCR

Hello EVatlanisCR---I would love to talk to you.   Is there a way to message privately on this site?  I am brand new here.   Thank you. 

@EVatlantisCR that is so wonderful to hear  when i first posted about my experience I made over 600 connections with people having similar experiences different locations  i also researched court judgements related to my experience and was astonished at the results    If you are less than hour from airport you are near a metropolitan area?  I am sure without the experience i would feel the same, the air, food, and pace of life is youth serum!  One benefit of my experience is the occasional post such as yours 

my objective is to pose a result that isnt often considered when reading all of the magazine and news articles that are actually advertisements and paid articles for advertisement  and offer a chance for those coming to pause and know that you can sucked into the Pura vida and make a disastrous move that could cost you more than you can lose personally and financially 

while we have heard of people who have not had good experiences in my 32 years of building and buying here i have been quite pleased vs the states

maybe because i started out using a licensed appraiser and advisor angela jimenez rocha

you can see her experience on the site orbitcostarica

@EVatlantisCR if you don't mind where did you buy? i have been researching for months and my nerves are now creeping in with everything I am reading. I would love some positive encouragement and ditection. thanks for chiming in here.

I live in Nuevo Colon, Guanacaste which is in the ”Blue Zone”.  Lomas del Mar is the name of the community. Google: Tres Amigos, the real estate company that handles most of the land/housing in this area.

Don't let the negativity of a few discourage you.  Life is wonderful in Costa Rica!!!

I can help you if you decide to build here.  I designed & built my home & casita on my own; did not use a builder or construction company.  I'm fluent in Spanish and know all the ins & outs about building in this area.

@Henrych

That is an awful racist thing to say! Lying is NOT in the Tico “culture”.  Kindness, service, peace, respect, hard work,  resourcefulness, and friendliness is typical of the Cost Rican culture.  Sure, on occasion, some people lie… this is true of all humans.

@EVatlantisCR...Lomas Del Mar is not the 'Blue Zone'......It is another front for 'Buying Shares of the Corporation'that owns the property.....Many Americans/foreigners buy into this structure because they do not know better and inherit tax liability and other legal constraints....It is basically subterfuge for property ownership in Costa Rica......Weak try on trying to use the race card on 'Henrych'....I am Costarricense and there are some serious dark holes in this culture that nobody addresses because they are here pitching property in their sub-division...

Please spread your negativity, rudeness and sarcasm elsewhere… better yet: keep it to yourself rather than infecting others.

have noticed YOU seem to think you are an authority on virtually everything!!!!

NEWSFLASH:

Your opinions are ONLY  your OPINIONS not facts.

FYI, my community is in Carrillo which is, in FACT, within the Nicoya Penninsula, which has been designated as a blue zone… whether you choose yo believe it or not.

BTW,  i did not know it was in the Blue Zone when i bought the land 2 years ago.  i just learned about this very recently so it was not ”a front”.

thread temporarily closed for review

Closed